A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
clydesdale
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2017 Lift Foils

Postby clydesdale » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:44 pm

clydesdale wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:44 pm
I recently got a130inch redesigned 2017 lift foil. Rides great and nice construction. I'm a big boy so went with larger wings. Works for me cruising around(no interest in racing) and good low speed lift and fun in some small swell I tried recently. Positive is wings/fuselage is one piece = stronger, negative is more expensive to buy different sized wing. Considered the ghost whisper but 107cm mast don't think would have fit in my car assembled and aluminum fuselage. Prior lift mast was 40.5 inches I believe and new one is 36 inches. Know could buy smaller fluente Moses mast. Also smaller wings by Moses was a concern at my weight. Adam Withington video on the ghost whisper is pretty mind blowing what it's capable of though.

Interesting last few seconds of this video - efoil

https://vimeo.com/205803843
Had mine a few weeks and 4 sessions on it. Very happy with purchase so far.
Last edited by clydesdale on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:07 pm

clydesdale wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:44 pm
How do you like your 42" Dwarfcraft? How does it ride compared to lager board? Any regrets about it or anything exciting?

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:22 pm

palmbeacher wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:35 pm
So if you damage your front wing you have to replace the whole thing :-?
Looks sweet, but I got a problem with that too.
Also makes it harder to travel with.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:34 pm

palmbeacher wrote: So if you damage your front wing you have to replace the whole thing :-?
The whole wing/fuselage setup doesn't cost much more than some companies charge for a front wing alone, so I'm not sure this is really a problem.

For what it is worth, I have bashed my foil into the ground and into things under water a bunch, the wing looks fine, but the fuselage is bent out of shape (it is an alloy foil, maybe carbon would be a different story).
Last edited by tmcfarla on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:59 pm

clydesdale wrote:
clydesdale wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:44 pm
I recently got a130inch redesigned 2017 lift foil. Rides great and nice construction. I'm a big boy so went with larger wings. Works for me cruising around(no interest in racing) and good low speed lift and fun in some small swell I tried recently. Positive is wings/fuselage is one piece = stronger, negative is more expensive to buy different sized wing. Considered the ghost whisper but 107cm mast don't think would have fit in my car assembled and aluminum fuselage. Prior lift mast was 40.5 inches I believe and new one is 36 inches. Know could buy smaller fluente Moses mast. Also smaller wings by Moses was a concern at my weight. Adam Withington video on the ghost whisper is pretty mind blowing what it's capable of though.

Interesting last few seconds of this video - efoil

https://vimeo.com/205803843
Haven't gone out on them yet, but did you think??

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:29 pm

grigorib wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:07 pm
clydesdale wrote:
How do you like your 42" Dwarfcraft? How does it ride compared to lager board? Any regrets about it or anything exciting?
Take it with a grain of salt that I'm at the beginning intermediate stage and still no foiling jibes and especially no tacks. 42" dwarfcraft is awesome once you're up and foiling, you can't see the board out of your periphery so it feels like you're flying even a bit more. Feels like a tiny skate board under your feet. Trying to start in very light wind was a real struggle. Main trouble I had was any touchdowns would pearl the board(operator error)but I haven't used it yet with the new lift foil. Definitely easier to use with a little more wind than true light wind which is why I ended up getting the slingshot alien air. Goal for the spring is to learn my foiling jibes and then try to ride the 42 inch as my primary board(Greg Drexler wannabe). I probably should've bought the 54 inch and saved myself the trouble of two boards.

Pikovsg- assuming your asking what thought about the lift foil – I like it very much. This is the first carbon foil I've flown so what do I really know. Coming from of LFrocket foil and then a hover glide it is so much lighter and makes it so much easier to carry the board. It also floats on its side on the surface before the foil sinks to the vertical position and gives you a chance to drag up to it and get your feet in without having to manipulate the board. It rides smooth and lifts early.

4liner
Rare Poster
Gear: Hydrofoil
Been thanked: 0

Postby 4liner » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:23 pm

I've got the 110 and it sure as hell lifts early. It actually caught me by surprise. I've never been able to foil so slowly as I was with the new Lift foil. I've only been out once on it. Next time out I'm sliding the foil back in the tracks to minimize the early foil. As far as top speed, it seems just as good as the earlier Lift foil. I weigh 72Kg (160#) and been foiling not quite 2 years. I love the fact that it's a one-piece foil, stronger, no gaps between the parts to catch sea grass, and if you damage it....you fix it with some epoxy resin and carbon cloth, no big deal. I'm going to make myself a cardboard sleeve for storing or traveling. I like the fact that the strut/mast is 91cm and not 100. Feels so right!!

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Lift 150, Moses 637
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:36 pm

Blown away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got to try out the new 130 wing foil today. The golden unicorn is here, folks! These fools are amazing. To the extent of being a game changer like Spitfire. What was the most surprising by far is that you don't really need a kite for it. My kite fell in the water and I kept slightly pumping the foil and just kept going, eventually fishing the kite from the water after a few seconds.

This not a typical carbon freeride foil. It's much slower, maxes out at 24 miles, but normally goes about 16-20. Perfect for surfing and carving waves, stable, quiet, durable, gets on a foil in less wind than my HoverGlide (which I didn't think was possible). Love, love, love! Can you tell I liked it. :)
IMG_4233.JPG

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:16 am

it could well be a lovely foil to ride but packing for air travel is not easy with a fixed fuselage for both wings. I bough a unit that is very similar and can only get it into a 2 m surf board bag, it weights 5.9 kg, not that much of a good idea!

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Lift 150, Moses 637
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:54 am

It's not the best travel foil. It works as a travel foil. It will fit in a decent bag just fine. It's also the best foil I've ever used.

Return to “Hydrofoil”