A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Strut length - your preferences

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:47 pm

Rode a 600mm mast on flat water. Great for the shallow bits but you had to pay attention to how far off the water you were. And you couldn't edge the board much or it touched down and/or vented. Too much compromise for my tastes.

I think 800mm would be my lower limit for general riding, maybe 700 if I had to ride the estuary all the time.

Whatever the longest SS mast is, is fine for me...

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:43 am

I knew this would happen, somewhere in my hypothalamus. Last year : " I'll get a foil and learn to do it, sh_t it's expensive, but you only live once, and you only need one foil set up"

Now I'm just learning and stoked, but see I'm going to need 2 - 3 wings, struts and several boards. ( don't tell the wife)

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:48 am

TomW wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:43 am
Now I'm just learning and stoked, but see I'm going to need 2 - 3 wings, struts and several boards. ( don't tell the wife)
"the need" for more gear is benefit not drawback :lol:

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:20 am

pikovsg wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:33 pm
With 30" and smaller masts you CAN STAND while looping. Thus, your loops are more powerful and give you that extra bump of power to waterstart and get on the foil when barely blowing.
The 24" mast is even better when the winds are that low. .
:thumb: :idea:
I also remember a lowind day when I could let the big slow looping kite pull me up out of the H20 to vertical MUCH easier on a 75 cm STRUT as opposed to a 90 cm testing one right after the other.
Seems to make sense as ones center of gravity would be closer to the wings providing less distance to overcome therefore less leverage, MAYBE?
And, as we all know in most places when the wind is ultralow the water is flat so no need for longer strut to avoid ventilation.
Also much less Strut, less drag, to have to pull through H20 to gain enough speed to lift off....the down side being less vertical tolerance when trying to maintain flight when turning keeping boards drag off the water.
Would be very interesting to have a set of different lengths say 60cm, 70, 80, 90, 100 cm to test one right after the other, if only rich...
R H

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:57 am

ahmthai wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:48 am
...Unless you are racing, I don't see the advantages of going longer than 85cm. ...

Interesting, for me nearly the opposite, but I think it is a lot about preferences and spots.
95% of the time I don't have waves or shallow spots. I don't participate in races, but I use race kites and like to freerace around going distance, but also freestyle, boosting ...

Since I have my 110 cm, I nearly don't use my 96 cm anymore.

I still see the advantages of a 96 or 90 cm strut for light wind and or shallows and maybe waves. But I prefer the height for the freedom, when doing freestyle and to be able to edge hard. As I learned these days, riding real race style with a big powered kite on short lines, also the 110 cm can be "short" as the tips of a 60 cm wing can ventilate when edging very hard when there are some small wind waves. But I don't expect that we will see 120 cm struts or more in the future.

For me everything under 90 cm, which I also tried a lot, is very much another riding style:
going slow, just edging carefully a little bit ... also when doing maneuvers as 360 and other stuff, ... very limiting for me

but doesn't mean that it can't be fun, it is just another style. :)

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:27 pm

I think shorter masts are more fun, you can really throw them around without the consequence of the longer lever of a big mast. But there is usually enough chop that anything smaller than 90cm sucks for going upwind, i wouldnt even mind riding 100cm or maybe a little longer if I cared about optimal performance.

I wish something like a 60cm was possible to ride without ventilating so much.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:32 pm

dylan* wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:27 pm
I wish something like a 60cm was possible to ride without ventilating so much.
maybe a canard delta design with stupid low aspect?

Return to “Hydrofoil”