guess top wind range for 18m and 15m pansh a15

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
borist
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: guess top wind range for 18m and 15m pansh a15

Postby borist » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:30 pm

I had 18m, but sold it after I rode it side by side with my Sonic 11m. I did not feel I was getting any benefit from 18m power and it was a bit harder to handle. A15 is not the best depowering kite, so the range will not be great, perhaps up to 12 knots to be comfy. I'd recommend racing bar setup with lots of trim available. It is slower (across wind window) kite than racing foils (obviously) which also means that apparent wind generation is not as efficient. Relaunch is good and it is easier to save from dropping it due to lower span compared to racing foil.
Locally, a friend uses 15m A15 when I use Sonic 11m. We seem to have the same low end on similar HFs. He has better chance to relaunch.

Since you already have Cloud 17m, your gain will not be great. If you do decide to get A15, spend extra $200 and get ultralight version, it should give you more advantage. That's what I would do. It is tough call between the sizes, but as an anecdote: mentioned friend had 18m and exchanged it for a second 15m (now he has two) with argument that 18m was just too slow to be useful. (However he weighs a bit less than 85kg; to muddy the water even more ;-) )
Wish i could be more helpful.

PS: If you go for A15, be ready for some surprises. Mainly almost non-existent bar pressure and reluctant turns - I usually loop it into the water if I have not flown it for a while. Long bar (60cm) will help a lot. Clouds turn well so this might be an eye opener.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:34 pm

opie wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:47 pm
I have clouds 3.5, 5.5, 8.5 and 17. The 17 is perfect at 9 knots. At 10 knots its ridable but I feel overpowered. At 8 knots I blow some jibes but I usually keep the kite in the air so I can restart. Eventually I drop the kite to many times and can't get it back up and swim in. At 7 knots if I miss a jibe I always drop the kite and have to swim. The only people who stay flying longer than me are on foils, from 11m and up. There is something beautiful about the way the foilers on foil kites move that makes me want to join in. To my untrained eye they look like they fly very differently, efficient and elegant.
Anyway, I think I've decided. I am going to get the 18m, buy some foot hooks, and pretend I am a racer. It will be fun to ride a different style occasionally.
Hmm, I might be very wrong, sorry if so...

But I think your 17 cloud can hang in just as little as any foil kite :D

And those riding with foil kites are simply better kiters (no offense, just my thoughts and might be wrong).

A strutless kite, especially the clouds, can hang in just as little, and IMO even less wind than these foil kites.

Not the same race performance and power spike no, but they can IMO hang in the same or less wind.

Agree, the foil kites are efficient and elegant, no doubt :thumb:

But something seems a bit wrong here - I honestly think your 17 m2 cloud is one of the best choices for what you seek ?

If you blow a jibe in 7 knots with a foil kite, you are in MUCH more trouble than with your cloud IMO, thats the short version :o

8) PF

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:03 am

5 votes for 15m and you're going with the 18m? :wink:

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby opie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:27 am

"What foilkites are the others flying you are referring to? I ask this because the a15 is a totally different kite than the race foilkites."

Race kites and a couple new light Ozones.

"If you go for A15, be ready for some surprises. Mainly almost non-existent bar pressure and reluctant turns - I usually loop it into the water if I have not flown it for a while. Long bar (60cm) will help a lot. Clouds turn well so this might be an eye opener."

I am aware. It will be extra interesting since I learned on Clouds so I am use to having plenty of depower just on the handle throw.

"And those riding with foil kites are simply better kiters (no offense, just my thoughts and might be wrong)."

You are right. I stayed upwind on a twin tip last April for the first time and switched to hydrofoil 5 days later. So I am still a pretty new kiter. Lot's of room for improvement.

"If you blow a jibe in 7 knots with a foil kite, you are in MUCH more trouble than with your cloud IMO, thats the short version :o "

I am a good swimmer with more self rescue experience than most. (I used to deflate my 17m and roll it up on the water before swimming in before I knew better.) Also, my kiting area is the ca delta and land is always close in all directions. So I am cool with that.

"5 votes for 15m and you're going with the 18m? :wink:"

I laughed when I read this because that was exactly what I was thinking as I read through these posts.
Okay, I am going for the 15m. Ultralight. Thanks everyone.

Return to “Hydrofoil”