Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Banga vs Moses Comet

Postby Johhnn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:40 pm

Gunnar, have you ever tried the AlpineFoil? I have one, but I haven't had the opportunity to compare it to other foils. I'd be interested in your impressions.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: Banga vs Moses Comet

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:32 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:57 pm
Yes. Thin high AR high span wings are more likely to crack on bad landings. A bad landing from height is not comparable to the loads when you are racing and pushing on the foil in the water. Landing hard on your foil after a big jump especially flat will put a lot of pressure near the connection between wings and fuselage. This is where you will see most cracks from jumps.

Gunnar
Hi Gunnar,
agree that high AR with span of 60 cm or more have the highest risk to break due to lever length.

But would also agree with evan:

In my eyes, on a full speed crash or when ventilating with one wing tip under full load will cause higher torsional loads to wing-fuselage-strut connection than most bad landings can cause.
I have seen a solid prototyp breaking during a jump but the guy said, that he felt the crack during the takeoff, when one wing tip was out and the other still in the water, not during the landing.

But also agree with: Better take a less than 100 % race orientated foil for jumping. I will go for the old levitaz bionic (haven't tried the new one yet) as used bionic parts are getting cheaper now on the market and the levitaz is for sure one of the most solid race foils. Accepting it is also not the lightest.

Return to “Hydrofoil”