Rare Poster
Gear: Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Moses 580 wing vs 558 wing

Postby Mozorello » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi Guys:

I am looking to upgrade from a 548/330. Last year, I believe the 580 was their race wing. This year it seems to have been replaced by the 600, which looks full on comp/race.
They call the new 558 wing "All-Around".

I have no interest in competition, just want to go faster. I like to jump and freestyle, so perhaps too thin a wing might break.

The discontinued 580 seems to be available at a discount. I am wondering if the 558 has better free-ride characteristics, easier take off, tighter turns?
Can anyone tell me your experiences with these wings? and would a different stabilizer wing be helpful?

Thanks!

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Re: Moses 580 wing vs 558 wing

Postby cwood » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Mozorello wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:20 pm
Hi Guys:

I am looking to upgrade from a 548/330. Last year, I believe the 580 was their race wing. This year it seems to have been replaced by the 600, which looks full on comp/race.
They call the new 558 wing "All-Around".

I have no interest in competition, just want to go faster. I like to jump and freestyle, so perhaps too thin a wing might break.

The discontinued 580 seems to be available at a discount. I am wondering if the 558 has better free-ride characteristics, easier take off, tighter turns?
Can anyone tell me your experiences with these wings? and would a different stabilizer wing be helpful?

Thanks!
The 550 and the 558 look very similar in shape. I have both but have not tried the 558 yet. I think its good for a bit more top end (30 kts) I'm betting similar from a maneuverability perspective. Hope to try it in the next week. Moses does not describe them very well. They should have all the performance stats in a table and a narrative of the attributes.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:40 pm

558 is a very good step up for what you describe and coming from the 548.
The 330 is the correct stabilizer for the 558 too.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil/moses

Mozorello
Rare Poster
Gear: Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mozorello » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:06 am

Thanks Frank.

Have you tried last years 580 race wing? I see on the specs that it is only 9mm thick as opposed to 12mm on the 558 wing. Would this be risky for jumping?

Can you tell me how the ride would change with a different stabilizer?

Thanks in advance.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:16 am

Mozorello wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:06 am
Thanks Frank.

Have you tried last years 580 race wing? I see on the specs that it is only 9mm thick as opposed to 12mm on the 558 wing. Would this be risky for jumping?

Can you tell me how the ride would change with a different stabilizer?

Thanks in advance.
Without getting into hydrodynamics:

Yes, been riding the 580 as well, which needs a different stabilizer to feel balanced.

Also the new 600 has its own stabilizer.

548, 550, 558 (and 2016s 560) are good with the same stabilizer.

It is theoretically possible to mix wings and stabilizers other than stated above, but won't feel balanced and not very pleasant or easy to ride. It does not make sense really.

Back.to the 558 vs. 580:
I know people using the 580 for jumping no problem.
The reason I did not mention it to you again is that I think the 558 is a way more allround design, easier to ride over a big speed range, a lot faster than the 548, no brutal stalling when too slow.
To me it simply sounds the 558 is the better choice for you at the moment. And hey, you only need to upgrade the frontwing.

But if you are that keen on the 580, get that one too, but make sure to get the related stabilizer with it (BTW got one last set in stock).
Can't have too many wings if you got enough water time to play and learn with all of them.

Cheers
Frank
.www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil/moses

Return to “Hydrofoil”