Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

Downlooping the kite during toeside to heel side carve

Postby fun2kite » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:41 am

For the longest time, I could not figure out how to downloop the kite when doing toeside to heel side carve.

I find hell side to toeside downloop to be very comfortable as you initiate it with a front hand and that hand very conviently becomes the back hand you continue holding the kite once you are riding toeside.

But the other way around, just does not work... I kept trying to turn while flying the kite over the 12h, but that require insane timing and typically does not work in Low winds. Always wound-up losing tension in lines..

Finally last weekend, I decided, I'll move my hand from the back side of the bar to the front of the bar and attempt to downloop that way with back-hand. I also tried to flip the bar and pull upwards. I managed to downloop the kite this way, but oh boy that was NOT comfortable! I wound up passing the bar in the middle of the turn from one hand to another to finish the turn.
The position of hands is just very uncomfortable and overall the turn is unstable. I can do it now, but it does not feel anywhere near as polished and comfortable as the hill-to-toe side.

Question: Is there some technique for downlooping the kite on toe--to-heel side ? Please share how you do it.

-D.
Last edited by fun2kite on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Downlooping the kite during toeside to heel side carve

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:21 am

True, I remember having the same challenges regarding this, initially, but easy now.

When going toeside, say from left to right (starboard tack), riding with your back hand left) on the upper bar end - you simply turn your upper body leeward/left and grab the lower side of the bar with your right hand, and now you can do a smooth downloop with your right hand and end up heelside flying the kite with your right hand on the upper bar end.

You need to twist your body and left arm into the turn anyways, so it is a win win win using your "upwind" arm to take over while your body turns correctly :thumb:

It works for me, smooth and clean.

8) PF

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:07 am

hmmmm. I probably prefer the toe to heal down loop. Maybe practice undergunned with a smaller kite so you can loop anywhere and any time In the window. Then throw the loop earlier and later to get the timing right. If loosing line tension you can always through a double loop or front loop/back loop combo. Looks cool, untwists lines and stops loosing line tension.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:09 pm

I've found the kite matters, especially with respect to timing and pull through the turn.

Re. the hand -- I do the same. Pull with the front hand (upwind hand if toeside) and keep it on the bar. Once you've transitioned, it's become the new back hand...

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:30 pm

I have short arms. When possible I first rotate 360 degree my bar in advance to get a smoother control at the end of the turn. Then I just sheet in a bit with the rear hand to get the front hand closer to the bar. Then catch it and try to keep my body still upwind to keep a straight upwind direction. Then I pull on front hand the maximum I can but still keep upwind the maximum I can (Hopefully up to 180 degree of the kite).
I do not know if you have a sliding bar but it should make it more easy with a fix hook for short arms.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster

Postby fun2kite » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:38 pm

Thank you guys... They seem to be turning the upper body and grabbing with a new front hand... Will try.

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 am

I also feel very comfy with down loop during heel side carve, but as I think about I see OP's point. Reason I have no issues with it is probably because I started to make toe to heel carves as a part of learning to make a jibe, so I started down loop immediately after switching my feet. At that moment I had both hands on the bar and my shoulders turned slightly towards the turn rather upwind as is the case when riding toe side. Loop then feels natural because kite is flying in front of me and I can adjust radius of sweep as needed.
Therefore I assume OP is not changing his stance, just turning.
I payed close attention to how I carve from toe side to heel when not switching feet riding today. I do what Peter recommended: as I approach the turn point, I fly the kite up (about 11 o'clock), turn my shoulders bit towards turn direction while twisting my hips upwind more - this is a natural move to maintain original balance as turning shoulders alone would likely result in leaning backwards a little, grab lower end of the bar with empty hand and start the loop and carve. Timing depends on kite size and how much power is available. When powered, looping a touch early works fine, when under powered I tend to delay the loop a fraction after turn initiation to get more line tension. If lines are slacking, I push the bar sideways, opposite of turn direction to take up the slack. I do all of this by feel, never really payed attention to it until now. Works well for me.
One thing that can make this harder is use of moveable hook on the harness (my case). Bar is then quite far to reach without twisting shoulders a lot, which probably is why I fly the kite up first before reaching for the bar.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster

Postby fun2kite » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:47 am

found this video.. In two sections including last few seconds one can clearly see the technique she is using: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq_oxS5NFFg
I will be trying today if there is wind :-)

Thank you all for your tips guys.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:15 pm

I find on healside to toeside I downloop kite first from quite a high point and then turn and follow the kite.

I find on toeside that i move the kite to a high point, I turn board first and then downloop the kite allowing the kite to catch me.

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Also, as you initiate downloop with leeward hand you can push against the line tension (lateral force) to allow you to swivel your hips and really pivot/turn the board quickly. This helps keep foil up if wind is light.

Return to “Hydrofoil”