Can't slow down

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
mbs
Medium Poster
Gear: Kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Can't slow down

Postby mbs » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:20 am

I'm a long-time kiter but beginner on the foil. Had my 4th session today and I'm starting to go long stretches up on the foil, but only in straight lines and still crashing a lot.

So here's a beginner question. How do you check your speed, or slow down when you feel like it's getting going too fast? As I'm learning to stay up on the foil it sometimes feels like it accelerates to a speed faster than I want to go, especially because of the inevitable punishment that I know will be coming my way with the crash. What is the technique for spilling off power?

Btw - I feel like I'm progressing pretty fast bc of a lot of good insights that I've read on this forum, so thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice.
Last edited by mbs on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Re: Can't slow down

Postby airsurfer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:48 am

keep the kite high and sheet out gradually for more control. Also in most cases heading down wind a bit settles things down you and your kite don't feel as much apparent wind.

Blackrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jeffreys Bay , South Africa
Gear: old
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Blackrat » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:06 am

Yea keep kite high

And depower the kite as much as possible so that it has just enough power to water start
Use a smaller kite if you have

And then have you hear of the 'downwind' walk of shame ? That because heading upwind with the foil will control speed the best , but getting back is the problem

I remember them high speed runaways , haha

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:03 am

If you do have to bail from a runaway, use the kite and jump off the board :D should have you and the board going in different directions and as you've basically just done a jump, you should splash down without a beating...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 am

Use a smaller kite

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:03 am

mbs wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:20 am
I'm a long-time kiter but beginner on the foil. Had my 4th session today and I'm starting to go long stretches up on the foil, but only in straight lines and still crashing a lot.

So here's a beginner question. How do you check your speed, or slow down when you feel like it's getting going too fast? As I'm learning to stay up on the foil it sometimes feels like it accelerates to a speed faster than I want to go, especially because of the inevitable punishment that I know will be coming my way with the crash. What is the technique for spilling off power?

Btw - I feel like I'm progressing pretty fast bc of a lot of good insights that I've read on this forum, so thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice.
Hi mbs,

There are multiple ways of slowing down on a foil. However they are take a few second. There is no real emergency brake on a foil other than bailing.

So as the other have already said. Kite high and depower. Now what? Well, now lower the board to the water. Slowly. You don't want to pearl the nose in. You just want to touch down to add resistance to the board to slow you down.

Another way is to bear hard into the wind. This will accelerate you if you ware on a downwind course. So I would not recommend using it if you are now heading upwind already. So Bear hard into the wind and depower the kite. This will slow you down eventually. It will also give you more control and balance.

--
Gunnar

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:45 pm

plummet wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 am
Use a smaller kite

Yup - a smaller kite and longer lines is a must, as soon as you can "fly" a bit, which you can now.

Then you can do as others recommend, particularly flying the kite up high slowly and let the board down on the water again.

With a bigger kite and "shorter" (= the normal lines you use for other boards), you get fu.... if you accelerate too much in this early learning stage.

You obviously dont need a "normal powered for other boards" kite anymore now, as you can ride a bit, great :thumb:

8) PF

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:52 pm

I was pointing hard into the wind with the kite high for quite a while before I had the balance and skill to take advantage of pointing deep downwind to kill power. It works very well of course, but at first its nicer to have the familiarity of line tension to lean against and simply keep carving upwind until you slow down. Much more intuitive than going with pure balance and heading deep downwind.

Most people learn to get way upwind before they develop the balance and feel to head off the wind. The reverse walk of shame is a real and nearly universal thing, so telling a beginner asking this question to simply point downwind is really not advice that is commensurate with their skill.

Once they learn to ride downwind comfortably they will learn to drop power by heading deeper down wind naturally. Its a nice step in development and adds a lot of security, but it requires that leap of faith and at least some familiarity with balanced riding on foil without the kite to lean against. Not what I would tell a rookie who first asks the OP's question.

Echoing others,

Smaller kite.
If your having trouble getting the kite up in the window, a sharp yank on the back hand helps to get it pointing up.
Carve the foil into the wind until you reach a point of comfort. The kite will be high and taking a lot of your weight, so you will be able to foil along at relatively slow speeds. Remember, your headed way upwind and will have to make your way back down somehow!

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:25 pm

How do you head back to the beach and stop?
I see a lot of people bring the foil out of water and land on their ass. Jumping off the foil is another option? Push down on front foot until you are on water and keep kite high?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:14 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:25 pm
How do you head back to the beach and stop?
I see a lot of people bring the foil out of water and land on their ass. Jumping off the foil is another option? Push down on front foot until you are on water and keep kite high?

Yes, you fall back on your ass both strapped and strapless, having the board lifted out of the water (straps) or on its side (strapless) by leaning back and kite high.
Very important, as you have to keep foiling high so you don't risk hitting the bottom.
This is why you should not push it down on the water.

Learning you should of course never get into shallow water but stay far out, get off the board, and put it on the side while you drag yourself and the board to and through the shallow water and ashore :D

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”