A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: one strut vs strutless

Postby Bletti » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:28 am

My travel quiver is 5m 7m Switch Element 5 wave kites and 10m 15m R1V1 foil kites with a shinnster/spitfire foil and Firewire Vanguard surfboard. I'm still waiting to try fly a one strut or no strut that performs similarly in light wind to my foil kites.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:40 pm

I have just bought a 12 m2 Storm Voyager 4 I hope to get sometime later this month.

Will be really interesting to see the difference, as I got a Zeeko Notus Air in 12 m2 which turns incredibly fast and has loads of range.

The Voyager 4 is higher aspect, and got a thin center strut so much more versatile than strutless IMO.
It will turn slower yes, but HAVE to try and see if it can move the low end point to the ultimate for a LEI :naughty:

Looking forward to see the differences - but my hope is that the high AR Voyager is the perfect marginal wind weapon, besides foil kites :thumb:

8) PF

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:40 pm
I have just bought a 12 m2 Storm Voyager 4
Looking forward to a review. I'm also interested in the kite. Bought Flite 12m recently, but it is not quite what I was hoping for.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:18 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:40 pm
I have just bought a 12 m2 Storm Voyager 4 I hope to get sometime later this month.

Will be really interesting to see the difference, as I got a Zeeko Notus Air in 12 m2 which turns incredibly fast and has loads of range.

The Voyager 4 is higher aspect, and got a thin center strut so much more versatile than strutless IMO.
It will turn slower yes, but HAVE to try and see if it can move the low end point to the ultimate for a LEI :naughty:

Looking forward to see the differences - but my hope is that the high AR Voyager is the perfect marginal wind weapon, besides foil kites :thumb:

8) PF
My voyager 3 12m had a problem so it will be changed by a new model, just not sure if the super light or the special edition

Mitaka
Frequent Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud D0, F-One MITU, KETOS foil

Postby Mitaka » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:23 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:18 am
My voyager 3 12m had a problem so it will be changed by a new model, just not sure if the super light or the special edition
If you are more "race" oriented, you like speed, upwind, you are interested in the extreme low end, you prefer long legs and probably record you foiling sessions with a GPS tracker then you should buy the Light-Speed.
If you are more interested in freeriding, carving, jibing, playing with waves then you need the Limited Edition.
My advice is based only on the description and the shape of the kites, haven't tried them. :D
borist wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:45 pm
Looking forward to a review. I'm also interested in the kite. Bought Flite 12m recently, but it is not quite what I was hoping for.
Can you share what did you not like in your 12 m Voyager?

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:40 am

The strutless Voyagers behave very well in the air and turn well. Got the 12 and it is a seriously fun kite in light wind and it relaunches well. Turning is super tight which also makes it easy to handle once the wind picks up. It is definitely not a big air boosting machine, but for foil surfing it is perfect. With my 85 kg it can pull be to shore when the wind drops below the foiling limit. It seems to cone less than the other strutless kites, but still makes some noise when you sheet it all the way out when overpowered.

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings

Postby pitbulldoug » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:00 am

I've been using the naish trips and the brm clouds last couple years for foiling and recently have been riding the new naish boxers and am really liking the one strut, excellent down looper as it's very similar in flight to the no struts but less canopy flutter when unsheated and let's face it even us foil vets drop out kites once in a while especially if your riding aggressively,and relaunch is much better especially if kite is down with a wave wash,very solid kite with the new canopy material really like it foiling,drifts very well, bar pressure is nice,and it works great regular surf kiting too so a real good dual purpose kite.personally I'm going the 1 strut route now with 10-8-6m boxer quiver, and probably get a 12m fairly soon, but the 10m boxer is pretty impressive on the low end almost same as the 10m trip which had great low end and I'm a heavy rider at 225lb thumbs up for the new boxer for foiling fun IMO

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:36 am

Mitaka wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:23 am
borist wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:45 pm
Can you share what did you not like in your 12 m Voyager?
I was talking about 2016 OR Flite 12m, not Voyager.

zdunigan
Rare Poster
Gear: kites

Postby zdunigan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:53 am

pitbulldoug wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:00 am
I've been using the naish trips and the brm clouds last couple years for foiling and recently have been riding the new naish boxers and am really liking the one strut, excellent down looper as it's very similar in flight to the no struts but less canopy flutter when unsheated and let's face it even us foil vets drop out kites once in a while especially if your riding aggressively,and relaunch is much better especially if kite is down with a wave wash,very solid kite with the new canopy material really like it foiling,drifts very well, bar pressure is nice,and it works great regular surf kiting too so a real good dual purpose kite.personally I'm going the 1 strut route now with 10-8-6m boxer quiver, and probably get a 12m fairly soon, but the 10m boxer is pretty impressive on the low end almost same as the 10m trip which had great low end and I'm a heavy rider at 225lb thumbs up for the new boxer for foiling fun IMO

zdunigan
Rare Poster
Gear: kites

Postby zdunigan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:54 am

https://www.bigwinds.com/kiteboarding-b ... ite-Review

looks like it flys very well. should be great for foiling.

Return to “Hydrofoil”