A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Re: Back to the roots of hydrofoiling ?

Postby RagingGrandpa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:08 pm

BTW, anyone have info or pics of the KBHF skeleton-like board someone tried, that was a pair of boots with a frame but otherwise no deck?

Searched but didn't find... thx in advance

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:32 am

RagingGrandpa wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:08 pm
BTW, anyone have info or pics of the KBHF skeleton-like board someone tried, that was a pair of boots with a frame but otherwise no deck?

Can't help you there. But within the past week I saw a video, facebook or instagram, of someone (Kai Lenny maybe) paddle into a wave on a sup, then the foil detached to just two small pads on top of a thin shaft. So a modern example may be easier to find. If I come across it again, I'll post it.

cnski
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby cnski » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:29 am

Elliot Leboe did a ton of foiling on Maui for a period of time early on. I would say he was one of the early kitefoil pioneers.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:05 pm

RagingGrandpa wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:08 pm

This is quite small.

The guy at Brucecreations created one that was even smaller by having a spine joining the two foot pads.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:16 pm

That is awesome. I wonder how hard it is to get up and going?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:22 pm

Randahl wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:18 pm
For a time there was only the Carafino and Rush Randle I think. I believe one of the catalysts for Taaroa becoming a thing was a disagreement over their arrangement for selling Carafino's in Europe. He could have been hyrdofoiling's cabrinha or naish but for his personality and practices. I tried hard to get my hands on one of his foils in the early days of foil fever and he couldn't get out of his own way to sell me one (if it was really true that he had the next production run available in "4-6 weeks")(which now I am 100% sure wasn't true)

Development has gone in two or three directions-- the race foils are getting impossibly fast and high aspect with banga, levitaz, mike's lab to name a few, --then there is the surf riding direction where the wing aspects are lower and masts and fuselages shorter, like pelican foils and aguera's stuff, and similarly, the carve/cruise/learn foils which are probably the most prolific and broad category that I have made (lumping the LF and slingshot foils in there)
Back in the late 1990's Neil Pryde Maui with Rush Randle were developing a windfoil using one of the sit down wake foils. Antoine Albeau windfoiled one of their prototypes before 2000 and bought one of the foils, which he still uses for wakefoiling.

Latest level windfoiling.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:47 pm

I think the wing on the old airchairs looks the most like the Slingshot H4 wing, which has now become their default kite wing. On the other hand though airchairs were designed to be ridden starting at 20 knots while all the current surf foils 20 knots is the top end and many go as low as 8 knots.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Nice topic gentlemens.

I have a huge respect to the pioneers that succeed to fly on a HF; when you think again at how hard it is to start and foil-up, now assuming that you don't have the knowledge that others succeeded before you, you need an unlimited self-confidence and courage to keep thinking it will work ...

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:51 pm
Nice topic gentlemens.

I have a huge respect to the pioneers that succeed to fly on a HF; when you think again at how hard it is to start and foil-up, now assuming that you don't have the knowledge that others succeeded before you, you need an unlimited self-confidence and courage to keep thinking it will work ...
I remember a very early foil board was down at Rhosneigr on Anglesey, UK.
this was so far back I think Arron Hadlow was there competing in an early kitesurfing competition, it must have been around 2006 or earlier.
I remember picking it up and thinking it was heavy, others who had tried using it told me to have a go but don't expect to get going as no one else had got up.
This turned me off having a go, as everyone was rubbishing it,saying it was too hard, and if the pro kite-surfers were saying that it must have been true.
If only I knew it was quite normal to not just get going on it straight away.
A wasted 12 years at least.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Foil wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:36 pm
Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:51 pm
Nice topic gentlemens.

I remember a very early foil board was down at Rhosneigr on Anglesey, UK.
this was so far back I think Arron Hadlow was there competing in an early kitesurfing competition, it must have been around 2006 or earlier.
I remember picking it up and thinking it was heavy, others who had tried using it told me to have a go but don't expect to get going as no one else had got up.
This turned me off having a go, as everyone was rubbishing it,saying it was too hard, and if the pro kite-surfers were saying that it must have been true.
If only I knew it was quite normal to not just get going on it straight away.
A wasted 12 years at least.
Yes, exactly. I saw (I think) Jeff Tobias (Slingshot) and Martin Vari (later of Vari kites) trying to ride an early foil in Kailua Bay back around 2003(?). They were having a terrible time of it, I mean really getting an ass whipping. I watched that for a bit and decided that if these guys, that I regularly watched to AMAZING things with a kite, couldn't do it, it wasn't for me to ever try. Main reason I never tried foiling for another 14 years. :cry:

Return to “Hydrofoil”