Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to go straigh down-wind on a foil board?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to go straigh down-wind on a foil board?

Postby coleman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:19 am

I agree with mossy757, big race kite. Tons of power.

Most don't have the balls for this. It's pretty freaking scary. A fully powered race kite will take you at the steepest angles up and down wind but it's not for the faint of heart. That's for sure. Made me feel like a beginner again.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to go straigh down-wind on a foil board?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:39 am

coleman wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:19 am
I agree with mossy757, big race kite. Tons of power.

Most don't have the balls for this. It's pretty freaking scary. A fully powered race kite will take you at the steepest angles up and down wind but it's not for the faint of heart. That's for sure. Made me feel like a beginner again.

I think you are both wrong here :wink:

Indeed it is the way you go deep and the fastest downwind, no doubt at all.

But it wont work at all for going straight downwind - as when you bear off and ride faster than the wind, then you will suddenly have the wind straight towards you - and you can not ride like that, it would be like riding directly upwind at zero degrees to the wind, not possible either :roll:

Looping the kite corresponds somewhat to an ineffective way of making the kite "bigger", so it helps in this respect.

But when straight downwind (we are talking 180 degrees to the wind, this is the topic of this thread), you can not ride with speed.

So as said before, you need a certain amount of wind for it to be possible, actually bigger non race wings are better here, and you need to ride slower than the wind - then you can ride dead downwind :thumb:

The same is possible on a windfoil btw - but only when windy :naughty:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”