Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Go Foil powered by a kite for waveriding

Postby TomW » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:43 pm

I've searched around the Internet, seems a bit tricky to buy a Takuma wing/ fuse setup separately, and find a compatible 90 cm mast separately. Everything us sold with Mast.

I'm interested in a really slow setup for our rough conditions, and I'll use my faster Moses setup in flatter conditions.

Other slow options are like a Shinn P foil. Recommendations?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:47 pm

TomW wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:43 pm
I've searched around the Internet, seems a bit tricky to buy a Takuma wing/ fuse setup separately, and find a compatible 90 cm mast separately. Everything us sold with Mast.

I'm interested in a really slow setup for our rough conditions, and I'll use my faster Moses setup in flatter conditions.

I can sort you out a longer mast for the Takuma.

--
Gunnar

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 pm

Holy cow! I finally had the chance to try the Takuma foil with a pocket board and a 7m kite. Is that thing slow! I was reminded of the first time I tried a surfboard again after some days of foiling. At one point I actually turned the board to see if I had a plastic bag or something else slowing me down. It´s like foiling with a huge brake.

That said. I did have fun. After some getting used to it. And adapting my tacks and 360s. I had to turn very tight so that I did not lose the little speed I had. But than it did work. There were only very small river waves. So I couldn´t really try it for what I bought it for, which is waveriding. Originally with a SUP. But I am very keen to try the foil in decent waves with a tiny kite. It is amazing how little pull you need to get into foiling. And how easy it is to get into foiling immediately when starting. The stability is amazing, too. I tried starting sitting on the foil. And it was not a big deal. I had the original short mast. Which I would like to replace with something at least a bit longer.

I can totally see why this kind of foil is fantastic for teaching. It is sooo easy to use. I am really curious if my wife will be tempted to try. Even with my small SS Dwarfcraft.

It was only one session. I had fun riding tiny waves with it. Once you get used to it it is surprisingly maneuverable. I will have to explore the wavekitefoil capacity further with a longer mast.

What I would normally definitely not recommend it for is freeride foiling. If someone really struggles to get going with a normal foil, this thing might be the answer. But I cant imagine many people will be happy with the lack of speed on the long run. For freeriding. From what I can say after one session, it is great for beginners and it might be great for waveriding. I hope to be able to ride it a lot in the next three weeks in the Bretagne, France. I guess after that I will be able to say if it is a SUP-only-foil for me or a nice option for wavekitefoiling, too.

I hope it is ok if I post this here. I did because I assume that the Go Foil is pretty similar.
Last edited by ulx on Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ulx
Frequent Poster
Firewire Vader

Postby ulx » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:35 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:47 pm
TomW wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:43 pm

I can sort you out a longer mast for the Takuma.

--
Gunnar
Hey Gunnar, I guess you tried a 70 something mast, too, right. More fun for you with a 90 cm one? Personal preference, too, sure.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:53 pm

This is an interesting development in foiling. for me it would be more forgiving in our windwaves and nasty conditions. Need to go slower to get control.

That said, I'm at session 22. Today I was out in 12-14 knots on the Moses 548 front wing. It was very mild and perfect conditions for around here. Started going heel to toeside gybes and riding toeside. This foil goes pretty slow, but cruises easy at 30-35 km / hr. I kinda got that feeling today that if it was slower than what I was doing it would be boring.

What I'm looking for is a setup that is forgiving in super messy, wavy, gusty shitty conditions.
Last edited by TomW on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:55 pm

ulx wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 pm
Holy cow! I finally had the chance to try the Takuma foil with a pocket board and a 7m kite. Is that thing slow! I was reminded of the first time I tried a surfboard again after some days of foiling. At one point I actually turned the board to see if I had a plastic bag or something else slowing me down. It´s like foiling with a huge break.
(...)
How much of the foil being slow impacts the overall low end range? if it prevents building up a decent apparent wind, does it require to upsize a bit in terms of kite size?

ulx
Frequent Poster
Firewire Vader

Postby ulx » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:28 am

bragnouff wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:55 pm
ulx wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 pm
Holy cow! I finally had the chance to try the Takuma foil with a pocket board and a 7m kite. Is that thing slow! I was reminded of the first time I tried a surfboard again after some days of foiling. At one point I actually turned the board to see if I had a plastic bag or something else slowing me down. It´s like foiling with a huge break.
(...)
How much of the foil being slow impacts the overall low end range? if it prevents building up a decent apparent wind, does it require to upsize a bit in terms of kite size?
No. You can still ride small Kites because it needs so little pull. When the wind died off slowly yesterday it was easy for me to get going with my 7m when the others on 9s and normal foils did struggle.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Do I already have the best wave foil?

Postby liv2surf » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:45 pm

I have been foiling for a while on an entry level foil in ocean out back behind waves and in flat water with some non-breaking swell. I am in the market for a wave foil. Everyone seems to be saying slow foil for waves. I had been thinking about the 2017 Moses Fluente but seems too fast. That Takuma foil looks nice. But this brings me full circle thinking that maybe my current setup is ideal for waves.

Curious what people think about the performance of my current setup for RIDING WAVES (original Liquid Force Foil fish).... or if and how people think a Mose Fluente, Takuma v100 or a Gofoil would be better (and if so how?).
Attachments
20170806_094153.jpg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Do I already have the best wave foil?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:11 pm

liv2surf wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:45 pm
I have been foiling for a while on an entry level foil in ocean out back behind waves and in flat water with some non-breaking swell. I am in the market for a wave foil. Everyone seems to be saying slow foil for waves. I had been thinking about the 2017 Moses Fluente but seems too fast. That Takuma foil looks nice. But this brings me full circle thinking that maybe my current setup is ideal for waves.

Curious what people think about the performance of my current setup for RIDING WAVES (original Liquid Force Foil fish).... or if and how people think a Mose Fluente, Takuma v100 or a Gofoil would be better (and if so how?).

A really good question, much better than you know most likely :thumb:

I have been riding both a smaller fast wavewing, and a really big fast turning wave wing lately - often on the same day (even today with a 3.5 and 5 m2).

My view is:

The big wing is simply awesome in constant wind and lighter winds, particularly when smaller waves.

But the smaller wing excel hugely when the wind is higher (more than a 6 m2 kite), and sometimes also when it (waves) is bigger and you like more speed.

So IMO the big wings are great in small waves and less wind, and the smaller faster and even more lively are simply better and feels good in more wind :naughty:

The LF fish is great in light wind, but you will probably miss the speed and glide from a faster wing in more wind.

No, I see no reason to go for a Takuma or similar, as it is close to your current setup :D

Keep your foil fish, and get a faster (smaller) wing/foil too and see if you like both in their best conditions, like most of us do, or prefer one or another, is my advice :wink:

8) PF

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:42 pm

I don't have enough experience to really answer your question, but I have a Moses Fluente with a 548 front wing, their slowest wing. I'm riding some windswell on it, but it seems to work best when I'm going at a rather steep angle to the swell, like 30 degrees off the peak line.
Otherwise I'm going faster than the wave.
Thus is short period windswell in small fetch. I'm cruising around at 25-30 km hr. Without pushing it.

Return to “Hydrofoil”