Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What Helmet protects against foilboards during races?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What Helmet protects against foilboards during races?

Postby windrider1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:12 pm

They told u to never let go, WOW who is this mystery person did he come from out of the depths of the ocean and then vanished back in after telling u this. LOL or was it one of your buddys after handing u a kite for the first time with a wicked grin on his face. :lol: come on man no one will tell u to not let go off a kite that's out of control, use some common sense . most people never test their safety or just freeze up and hold on to the bar and that's the reason for a lot of accidents and ive been flying power kites close to as long as u have.

Dwight wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:54 pm
BWD wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:26 pm
For the brain to decelerate enough for concussion, the head usually hits something.
Nope. Back in 1999 I was wearing life jacket (because kites sank a lot) and helmet. Using a foil kite, no leash, no depower. They taugh people to never let go, never let go, back then.

Flying like superman through the air, I slapped the water flat. With the weight of the helmet on my head, plus the life jacket creating too much floatation. I received a whiplash concussion. My neck swelled to twice its size.

I had a concussion that lingered all summer.

Disclaimer...I wear the lightest plastic helmet I can find while foiling. I'm betting the risk of whiplash injury is less than getting hit by foil.

Ulrik
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Hydrofoil,Waveriding
Gear: Shinn BronQ CRB4
Groove Skate 130,
Nobile Kite skim
Kitech FreeRS
Naish Pivot
Gong Unik
GONG KITEFOIL ALLVATOR FREEWAVE

Postby Ulrik » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:40 pm

windrider1 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:12 pm
They told u to never let go, WOW who is this mystery person did he come from out of the depths of the ocean and then vanished back in after telling u this. LOL or was it one of your buddys after handing u a kite for the first time with a wicked grin on his face. :lol: come on man no one will tell u to not let go off a kite that's out of control, use some common sense . most people never test their safety or just freeze up and hold on to the bar and that's the reason for a lot of accidents and ive been flying power kites close to as long as u have.

Dwight wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:54 pm
BWD wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:26 pm
For the brain to decelerate enough for concussion, the head usually hits something.
Nope. Back in 1999 I was wearing life jacket (because kites sank a lot) and helmet. Using a foil kite, no leash, no depower. They taugh people to never let go, never let go, back then.

Flying like superman through the air, I slapped the water flat. With the weight of the helmet on my head, plus the life jacket creating too much floatation. I received a whiplash concussion. My neck swelled to twice its size.

I had a concussion that lingered all summer.

Disclaimer...I wear the lightest plastic helmet I can find while foiling. I'm betting the risk of whiplash injury is less than getting hit by foil.
Well when I started back in 2000, safety systems wasn´t invented, so the only way to let go of the kite ( when hooked in) was to pull the bar all the way in, until you could unhook from the chickenloop.(Not an option when being dragged or doing the Superman through the air)
We did a lot of "teabagging" back then :lol: :o .

I think release systems were made after the death of Silke Gorldt (pro rider) in june 2002.
So prior to 2003 we didn´t let go ( or we simply could not let go).

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Yeah, in 1999 if you let go your kite was gone. $1000 lost at sea.

No leashes, no depower, no safety systems.

Only 2 line Wipika and foil kites that often sank.

Today's kiters are spoiled.

Return to “Hydrofoil”