Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Front foot location for Ketos Freeride 2

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
faklord
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Front foot location for Ketos Freeride 2

Postby faklord » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:42 am

I have ketos freeride 2 foil with a board not really designed for this setup.
I only ride with front footstraps but think they are too far forward even on the most rearward position.

I realise it is largely a matter of personal preference but would be interested to hear what works for other freeride 2 users, in terms of the distance between the front foot placement/straps and the strut (mast).

Thanks

Mitaka
Frequent Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud D0, F-One MITU, KETOS foil

Re: Front foot location for Ketos Freeride 2

Postby Mitaka » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:55 am

All KETOS wings are designed to be ridden with relatively the same stance.
Attachments
KETOS.png

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:17 am

You can also go strapless, ride the board to see where you naturally like to put your feet. Then put straps where your feet like to go

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:29 pm

@Mitaka Thanks for point out that drawing. I had seen it but I think it is from 2015 and ketos wings have changed quite a bit since then.
"All KETOS wings are designed to be ridden with relatively the same stance." Do you know this, or is it an assumption?

@ Plummet. Yes I have done this but I think I tend to arrive back at the position where the straps were, as this is what I have become accustomed to!
What I'm interested in is what works well for more advanced riders.
One of the (many) issues is when I try to switch feet, I usually end up submarining unless I do the switch behind the straps and then shuffle in later..not ideal.

Big Wally
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tanzania
Favorite Beaches: Wherever there is Blue water
Style: Ocean only
Gear: Undecided
Has thanked: 0

Postby Big Wally » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:10 pm

I spoke with Anne at Ketos and she told me that the Freeride 2 requires LESS front foot pressure than the SO EASY wing etc. This could be why you are experiencing the Submarine affect.

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby opie » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:54 pm

I ride strapless and move my feet around some. Back foot usually over the mast but moves around a lot. Judging from the worn spot on my deck pad the distance from the rear hole of an imaginary front strap to the middle of the mast is 38 cm.
For me, coming from foil fish, I had the opposite problem switching feet. I had to learn to always keep pressure on the front, picking up the back foot first, so that it can switch almost instantly with the old front foot. Then getting the new back foot on is not so critical, in time or placement. With the foil fish I just switched both feet at the same time. If I try that with the fr2 the front sticks to my foot as I bring it up.
The "So Easy" wing does feel like it needs more front foot pressure as I go faster, but its close enough to the FR2 that I never have trouble switching from one to the other.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi Dave - I have not ridden the FR2 wing, so can not say precisely...

A friend of mine is getting an FR2 in a couple of weeks, but I havent got one.

I have 4 different Ketos wings, and a 5th coming up shortly.
And i find the strap plan is spot on like most people ride, and different wings as there is a slight difference in stance (balancing point) with some wings yes, riding strapless mostly you notice this.
The difference is really small though, and when you dont have a rear strap it should not matter.

Unless you prefer to ride really narrow stance of course, then your straps will be too far forward.

I ride really wide stance, so prefer the straps or feet positions to be even more forward (and rearward) than on the plan, on most wings.
Never more rear than the plan shows, thats for sure.

On a small board my stance is somewhat like this, maybe frontfoot a tad further rear on the big wide wings, but less than 5 cm difference.

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2396114&p=973059

And I have even wider stance on bigger boards.

Using straps my stance is slightly more narrow and rear than when strapless as you can move you balancing point a lot more, but a lot of time between these sessions so hard for me to say for sure what works for others.

Maybe not much help here, sorry...

8) PF

Mitaka
Frequent Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud D0, F-One MITU, KETOS foil

Postby Mitaka » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:31 pm

faklord wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:29 pm
@Mitaka Thanks for point out that drawing. I had seen it but I think it is from 2015 and ketos wings have changed quite a bit since then.
"All KETOS wings are designed to be ridden with relatively the same stance." Do you know this, or is it an assumption?
I know that this drawing is a little bit old but the philosophy of KETOS is that their new wings are 100% compatible with the previous products. Their front wings are interchangeable and my assumptions is that the stance is relatively the same, you don not need to change boards/straps position when you change wings. :D

You can also compensate with your back foot position since you ride with front strap only.

I ride strapless only and I noticed that I put my feet in relatively the same position on my two KETOS wings - Wave and Wave XL (XL ridden only twice). These wings are quite different and Anne told me that the bigger Wave XL is ridden with less front foot pressure - yes it is true but I do not feel any desire to ride it with different stance, just the weight distribution is slightly different :-)

Before I ordered my new Wave XL and KETOS Pocket 107 which will have customised mast position (further back) I asked Stéphane Goffinet about his stance and he told me pretty the same:
"I don't put my feet always on the same position on my board, but I haven't notice a signifiant difference with the Wave XL"

To summarize my advice was half assumption, half observation but I believe that if you ride with front strap only you can put it in relatively the same place as on the old drawing and be comfortable with all KETOS wings :)

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:02 pm

All - thanks for your help. User experience - Exactly what I was after (Peter - Sorry I thought I had read elsewhere that you had a FR 2)
Combining your findings it looks like the Ketos drawing is probably still valid (Sorry for doubting you Mitaka).

It all confirms my original suspicions. My setup measures about 60cm from mast bolt to middle of footstraps (and that's on the most rearward of 5 sets of holes!).

I feel some board surgery coming on! Probably using for 5 hole inserts to give 40cm - 50cm

Or on 2nd thoughts maybe I'll initially just try a single foothook in the existing central shared insert. That should push my front foot back & give an adjustment range of about 41cm to 48.5cm

Thanks Guys.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:01 pm

@Mitaka, I have also ordered a Wave XL and the Ketos Pocket 107. I am curious which pad you decided on, I ordered mine with the EVA pad but I think the Hexatraction is a popular option.

I also ordered the Free Ride 2 and the Free Ride 2 XL and all three masts, 70cm, 90cm & 100cm.

With the Pocket 107, it is my understanding that it is only strapless. I will also try to use my Nobile Zen board with an adapter and use that strapless. I think that I will be riding 5cm more forward than the straps on the Zen board, hoping that it will work well.

The Pocket 107 board sounds cool, I have not read any reviews and don't know what to expect.

Return to “Hydrofoil”