Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

90cm mast v's 96cm mast

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
max
Very Frequent Poster

90cm mast v's 96cm mast

Postby max » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Have a Zeeko 90cm mast that I use with the carver wing. Am looking to get a second mast to maybe setup with a faster wing or to setup up with a new wing with similar characteristics to the carver.

Would it be better/more useful to get the 96cm mast or just go with another 90cm mast?

Wondering whether the extra 6cm would have any advantages.

Anyone able to comment based on their experiences?

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 90cm mast v's 96cm mast

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:44 pm

Check this: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2396551

Its from 91 to 101, so you will feel less on just 6cm change, but yes there are diferences.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:50 pm

Why do you want another mast? Can't you just switch one wing for another?

I have the alloy white and green 90cm with free ride wing. I guess I will go for a speed wing next.

As far as mast I am not planning to get bigger mast, advantage is that you can lean in harder to go upwind and help with chop a bit but considering my current setup and what I am doing with it I don't think I really need it. Anyway I am still a newbie ;)

That's from zeeko on another thread before white and green came out:
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2391644&p=933865#p933865
ear Ronnie and others,
your question is more interesting than only for beginners.

We developped several front wings for different uses. But the main thing is to know how to use them and mix them. This last question depends on what you are looking for and how many wings you want.

Target: 1 wing
-If you want a simple product with only one wings (nevertheless this is carbon or alloy foil): go for a 535cm² freeride wing (Black and white alloy foil, white and blue alloy foil or freeride carbon foil).
-If your target is performance the upwind performance: go to carbon foil and racing wing.

Target 2 wings:
- If you want the best performance: go for a mix of racing + speed wing. In this way, use the racing wing with kites bigger than 10m²: updwind and down wing like a hell.
When you ride with smaller kites than 10m², what is good is to be superfast. For that, screw a speed wing and feel how fast you can be.
- If your target is to have the best feeling of the hydrofoil experience with 2 wings (regarless max performance): a combo Carver wing / Speed wing is a must

For my personal ride I use all the wings but the one I use the most are (but it changes every months depends on my mood and now, I'm less involved in contests)
1- Freeride wing (whatever one)
2- Carver wing
3- Speed wing
4- racing wing

One last thing I tune depends on my mood is the vertical back fin:
I use 2.5cm the most now, but when I'm in super light Wind or when I'm racing, I use the 4.0cm one.

Hope it will help your choice

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:38 pm

Dunno, but maybe he is planning to be able to have two full hydrofoils.

Several got that, so you dont have to use time on moving wings and things around :thumb:

Small difference from 90 til 96, I would choose 96 if I had the choice...

Also getting myself a new mast so I got a 90 and a 100 now (besides the short 83), but if I could only have one, based on my experiences and riding, it would definitely be a 96 for allround riding and waves :rollgrin:

8) PF

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:31 pm

96. I bought 96 as a second mast, and it was actually about 9 cm longer than standard 90 cm Zeeko mast on Spitfire. The actual length of standard Spitfire 90 cm mast it came with was around 87 cm. Check how long is yours. The 96 cm mast actually is that length. It feels more forgiving and less ventilating on 96.

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:53 pm

I'll second 96cm mast. You already have one 90cm long, I see no point of having two identical. With 90 and 96 you can experiment and perhaps make each set to suit different conditions better.

Zeeko
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier, France
Style: all styles
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zeeko » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:41 am

Hi,

Aleks is totally right, we called the mast 90cm, in fact it was launched 3 years ago and the 90cm lenght was the total length of the plate + mast + fuselage (total 90cm)
when you measure the mast alone it is 87cm.
At this time, we had only one mast length and after we decided to go to several length. Then except the called '90cm mas't (which is 87cm when you compare to the other) all other sizes: 40/70/96cm are the length of the mast without taking in account the fuselage and the plate thickness..
Then the final difference in term of length betwen the 90cm mast and the 96cm is 9cm (96cm-87cm).
It makes a huge difference.
If you know how to ride and you have chops where you ride, a 96cm mast will be more performant. If you are learning airjibes, the 90cm will be better.
If you want to be faster, the 96cm mast is a best.

Also in waves, I know there is some debates about the length of the mast, but if you like to carve in waves, a 96cm is perfect.

Regards
Nicolas

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks everyone for all your input. Thanks Nicolas . . . have always found the advice you have given me helpful.

I have ordered the 96cm mast and a 2.5cm fin to add to my carver wing setup.

Where I ride is choppy when the wind comes up along with some good ocean swells at times. I ride a homemade 118 pocket board and can air jibe and am keen to try a slightly taller mast and also keen to have a second setup (maybe different style perhaps) as backup. Would feel lost nowadays without my foil :-D

Return to “Hydrofoil”