Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lift Foil short mast alternatives

Postby madmax7 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:03 pm

Have a 2015 Lift with adjustable track and standard mast. Having a heck of a time riding it, and was looking for a short mast alternative.

Lift sells a 26 inch for waves at, but thats just the mast. ( of course I can buy more components but $$$$$$)

Was wondering if you guys know of a complete set up (without board)with a shorter mast that would go into the mast track.

I read somewhere that its good to have a short mast to learn with and for future development as you try jibes and tacks.

THanks, Max

PS, I usually only ride about 4 hours a week,I've spent about 4 hours trying to ride foil (can get up but riding not very far) just want to make my life easier. I get tired and go back to twintip.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Re: Lift Foil short mast alternatives

Postby junebug » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:46 pm

If I were you, I wouldn't get a short mast. I used one to learn, and I think they are good for the first 1-4 sessions, but after that, they are pretty much useless (unless you are riding in shallow water). If you have been riding for 4 hours, you are likely at least 1/2 of the way there to "getting it." I say just power through and you'll get there sooner than you think.

As for using a short mast when trying new maneuvers, I'm still in the process of getting foiling jibes sorted (90% going goofy to regular and 10% going regular to goofy), but I haven't once thought I wanted to go back to a short mast.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:19 pm

If you've only spent 4 hours trying to ride and want something different maybe you should look inwards. Did you pick up kitting in 4 hours?

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:30 pm

they sell an aluminum adapter to attach lift fuselage and wings to a slingshot short mast, American kiteboarding I think, probably find a used one on ikitesurf also

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:46 pm

I did 4 1 hours sessions on my 2015 lift foil and never got to ride the board more that 10 feet then at about 8/10 hours I was riding hundreds of feet then after that I could ride all the way across the lake with small lift off rides so stay at it a while longer, use long lines so you can double stroke the kite, first half gets you up on the board and then second half gets you up to speed then fly you kite high to control the power and speed .

Return to “Hydrofoil”