Postby slowboat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:28 pm
slowboat wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:39 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:24 am

2 frontstraps, definitely, as you got the option :thumb:

Feels more comfortable, and MUCH easier when you are going to learn to jibe.

One single frontstrap is really only a benefit, IMO, for a few that find it feels better with one, when riding toeside.
Some find this to be the case, others dont, very personal.

And jibing sucks with only one frontstrap :-?

8) PF
Peter, are you saying 2 front straps and no rear strap?

My other concern with no rear strap is falling with only one foot in a strap

I did not comment on the rear strap...

Personally I prefer using the front AND rear strap, feel much safer not in doubt, hate being in one front strap only, way too risky for me - but can not speak for others so on purpose I didnt comment.

8) PF
I know you didn't, that's why I asked you specifically. :D

I appreciate eveyone's input. I also feel safer with both feet in straps.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2 or 3 straps

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Regarding the back strap, all the "weird" stuff that happened to me when learning to foil was when i was trying to gybe, either with the board in the water or airgybe, and in that case you will have the back foot out of the strap anyway.

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift

Postby yomotha » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Started foiling this year and took the back strap off even before my first session. I use two front straps only and will likely put the back strap on only when I'm ready to practice jumps.

It's a lot easier to get away from the board when you only have one foot in a strap compared to two if you're using the back strap.

My 2c, ditch the back strap unless you're working on jumps.

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:36 pm

2 front straps for me, way easier to jibe. Switching from 1 front strap to 2 feels weird for about 15 minutes (slightly different balance), but after that I'd never go back.

About back strap - I never even consider taking off JUST the back strap. If you can't jump, why have any straps at all? For me it is either all straps or completely strapless. I do keep 1 front hook to assist with starting though, but I place it further forward and don't use it when I ride strapless.

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift

Postby yomotha » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:31 pm

aleks wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:36 pm

About back strap - I never even consider taking off JUST the back strap. If you can't jump, why have any straps at all? For me it is either all straps or completely strapless. I do keep 1 front hook to assist with starting though, but I place it further forward and don't use it when I ride strapless.
Learning to foil strapless is a bit of a learning curve, so to at least have some leverage on the board, front straps remain.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:05 pm

aleks wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:36 pm
2 front straps for me, way easier to jibe. Switching from 1 front strap to 2 feels weird for about 15 minutes (slightly different balance), but after that I'd never go back.

Hmm, I partly agree...

But only when experienced - it makes no sense with front strap(s) only and no rear strap, in any way, this is a fact yes :thumb:

For learning though, it is different, as you need either a front and rear strap, or at least a front strap - depending on what you choose.
Or hooks, same thing...

Very different opinions on this regarding a rear or not for initial learning (also depends on whether you came from deep finned raceboards or not), so we will never be able to "settle" this - it will always be individual.

You are in between learning and experienced I can see, but you will soon be able to ditch the hook - makes no sense as soon as you have a bit more experience.

From then it is simple: Straps if you want to jump or race, strapless if you dont :rollgrin:

8) PF

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster
Gear: Any
Been thanked: 0

Postby lieutenantglorp » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:43 pm

I prefer 3 (2+1) foot hooks. I put my front foot strapless towards the middle more when riding toeside, but my front 2 are not right up against each other like on some other narrower boards. For the back foot, besides the jumping advantage from hooks/ straps you actually gain a lot more control having something for your back foot to press against. It makes the whole foil more responsive.

Return to “Hydrofoil”