A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lightwind / non-race foil

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 pm

Ramkiter wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:59 pm
Peter what length are your 'normal lines' to make an 8m work in 10 - 11 knots?
I've recently started using 28m instead of 20m and can get my carver wing up & flying with a 9m kite, very happy.

Yes, they are 26-27 meter, my bars with "normal" foillines, which in my world are the "short" lines then.
For non foiling (waveboards) I use 22 meter lines/bar, but never for foiling.

In above conditions today I would normally have chosen at least a 9 m2 kite, or a 10 if I had one - but if I know there are lulls and gusts I use 30 m lines with the 9 m2 so I dont get "caught".
With my "normal" wings.

This WaveXL wing is 790 cm2 and lifting well too, was amazed how low it could go and still turn fast because it is swept and low AR.
It wont win any speed or upwind contests of course, but does not matter really as not the purpose.

Thus my 8 m2 worked just fine, which amazed me somewhat as difficult to waterstart as said :thumb:

The reason I took such a small kite today was because the forecast said the wind should pick up (but it didnt, not till it started to rain, after I had stopped)

So yes 28 m lines with your Carver wing in these winds are just great, you get a huge windrange out of it and much better carving IMO, pleasant pull all the way through any turns now :rollgrin:
Whereas with 20 m the power will be there for a short time only, and then dissapear and there is "nothing" left :cry:

But individual, some prefer shorter lines in this wind.

8) PF

jash999
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby jash999 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:10 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:45 pm
I have been using KETOS gear the last years, and just invested in a new wing and board and mast, excited as waiting for it to arrive now :thumb:

And they are full on into us non-racers (besides having a good racewing too now), so can only recommend the FR2 wing which is more area and medium AR and made for fun and turning - my friend just bought one.

Just one (out of possibly many) suggestions.

They also make bigger wings than that, if you go for ultimate and not allround.

I really like their approach for freeride and freestyle, and having a "module" system that has remained unchanged so you can use any wing or mast or board or rear wing you like, or buy used ones too that fit.

Besides being a one screw for changing fuselage or board, or mounting when you get to the spot - just up my alley regarding easy and fun :rollgrin:

8) PF

Yesterday, having fun

3.jpg
Peter, I have looked at the Ketos site several times and ended up frustrated (I doubt I am the only one) by its somewhat incoherent design and content. But the products look good so I'm tempted despite the site. How are they for shipping and delivery and general communications once you place an order? I'm using zeeko carver, looking at the ketos light.

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:43 am

Peter, can you please measure the wave xl wing? I'm curious how thick it is at it's thickest point on the chord. I do like the profile and shape of the wing. What's it made of? I'm thinking of building a larger set of canard wings to see how slow I can make it go. I'm tempted to push close to 2cm thick, closer to sup/surf foil thickness...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Bletti wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:43 am
Peter, can you please measure the wave xl wing? I'm curious how thick it is at it's thickest point on the chord. I do like the profile and shape of the wing. What's it made of? I'm thinking of building a larger set of canard wings to see how slow I can make it go. I'm tempted to push close to 2cm thick, closer to sup/surf foil thickness...

Just measured, it is 13 mm thick, at 160 mm chord, and all carbon.

If it was thicker it would not be possible to ride much faster when needed.
Then it would IMO be better to have more area instead so you get a wing that can be ridden slow OR fast, and wont be too draggy when you push it, like more cambered wings will.

8) PF

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:43 pm

jash999 you are right, the webinterface is not their strongest side, and it would be better to choose "French" as language, to see the details more correctly.

I have no affiliation with them but I almost should have I guess, blabbing so much here ha haa, but I just want to share what I know, as I do with everything :wink:

As stated, I love the products because they dont change the building brick system, so my 4 year old Takoon board and wings (hydrofoil parts made by Ketos), are still used by me today, of course mixed with or as an addition to all the other wings/masts/stabilizers/boards I got now.

This, and their knowledge of good carbon work, besides bright engineering solutions, and the fact they know what freeriders and freestylers like (having some good French riders I assume), so they make products to fill this scene but parts still compliant to all older models, is simply awesome in my view.

Shipping, I have no idea - but in Europe shipping is almost nothing (I was amazed by this).
All carbon, also their boards, so not the low cost options like LF and others no, but still not expensive either and uuuuuh la la laa it is good finish and stiff and light.

Orders seem to come really fast most often, sometimes only a week or 2, only if there is a huge demand for something (which happens), you can end up in the queue of course :wink:

Communication ie responses are usually quite or really fast, but again, when not having many who handles English communication, it could stack up a while because of this once in a while with special requests, but most often quite snappy.

Are you aware that the "Light" option is with a REALLY big wing 880 cm2 (Freeride2 XL) ???
The trend is towards bigger wings, I know, but can only recommend the Freeride2 wing (700 cm2) if you want a big allround wing for everything - but of course, if you want something somewhat bigger than your carver wing, then it makes sense :D

8) PF

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:16 am

I am taking Peter Frank's advice, it really sounds like he knows free riding, thanks for sharing. I have the Freeride2 XL, Freeride2 and the Wave XL on the way. It did take a few weeks to ship, I suspect that summer is a busy time for them.

jash999
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby jash999 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:43 pm
jash999 you are right, the webinterface is not their strongest side, and it would be better to choose "French" as language, to see the details more correctly.

I have no affiliation with them but I almost should have I guess, blabbing so much here ha haa, but I just want to share what I know, as I do with everything :wink:

As stated, I love the products because they dont change the building brick system, so my 4 year old Takoon board and wings (hydrofoil parts made by Ketos), are still used by me today, of course mixed with or as an addition to all the other wings/masts/stabilizers/boards I got now.

This, and their knowledge of good carbon work, besides bright engineering solutions, and the fact they know what freeriders and freestylers like (having some good French riders I assume), so they make products to fill this scene but parts still compliant to all older models, is simply awesome in my view.

Shipping, I have no idea - but in Europe shipping is almost nothing (I was amazed by this).
All carbon, also their boards, so not the low cost options like LF and others no, but still not expensive either and uuuuuh la la laa it is good finish and stiff and light.

Orders seem to come really fast most often, sometimes only a week or 2, only if there is a huge demand for something (which happens), you can end up in the queue of course :wink:

Communication ie responses are usually quite or really fast, but again, when not having many who handles English communication, it could stack up a while because of this once in a while with special requests, but most often quite snappy.

Are you aware that the "Light" option is with a REALLY big wing 880 cm2 (Freeride2 XL) ???
The trend is towards bigger wings, I know, but can only recommend the Freeride2 wing (700 cm2) if you want a big allround wing for everything - but of course, if you want something somewhat bigger than your carver wing, then it makes sense :D

8) PF
Thanks for the heads up on the XL wing, the 700 is probably the way to go. I'm often in 7-9 knot winds with lower lulls, and the carver works great. But I am curious about other wings, and I like the focus of ketos on the more free ride type of foiling. I have never seen ketos gear, but I assume quality and design wise it's good given the general chatter. So I'll probably go for it in the fall.

Return to “Hydrofoil”