SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: rescuing a foil board

Postby SaulOhio » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:39 pm

I had a situation where a beginner was getting too far downwind, and in danger of ending up on the other side of the harbor where he would have to walk back a very long way. But his kite was still flying. I rode my twintip over to him, offered to trade boards, and rode his hydrofoil back up to the launch site while he did the same with my twintip. He got back, but I beat him by enough to try a few more rides back and forth on his hydrofoil.

Not quite a rescue, but almost. I don't think there is anything you could do except ride the hydrofoil back. Unless there is someone with a jetski nearby. They are annoying as hell at times, but good to have around in an emergency. Another friend of mine had to be rescued off the harbor breakwall a few weeks ago when the wind died off completely.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:53 pm

this is how we help (teach) a new foiler... swich boards so no need to waist time and energy with the walk back

:wink:

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:30 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:08 pm
foilonfoil wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:57 pm
I have had this situation numerous times...

1. Sit in the water with both boards waiting for the downed rider to get to you.
2. Give them your board and you body drag downwind to catch/ride their board.
3. Run your board to the beach and body drag out to catch the floating board before it hits the beach.
1. is unlikely to ever work, a swimmer with a sea anchor will never outdrift a sitter with a kite in the air, even more so if the latter is constantly moving his kite to keep it in the air. The downed rider should also aim towards the beach, and not further downwind, otherwise you'll end with an other problem, towing a rider, his packed kite and board towards the shore.
Local conditions will dictate what works and not works but your own foil on your feet slowly going upwind on your back while pushing/pulling another foil is not a big deal and I have done it before.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:41 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:17 pm
K-Roy wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:12 pm
bragnouff wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Pretty strong assumption that there are straps!
with all do respect, pls read my answers in full...
(I was referring to the TT rescue by Pedro)
Sorry, I reacted also on the SB rescue. Which is also a pain in the ass, but at least it's light and doesn't want to kill you!
Yes and there is no way you can pickup a foil while riding even if it has straps, you will have to completly stop, grab the board and waterstart with 1 arm only.

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Santa Cruz, CA.
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Style: Strapless boards
Gear: Caution Kites
Home made C kites

Postby reyrivera » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:15 pm

Two rescues, but these are more ideal drama-less situation.

First, foil with no rider in sight.
I was out foiling, saw a loose foil board in the water far away from the beach. Knowing my newbie limitation, I mentally marked the position of the foil, went back on the beach, switched to my surfboard headed downwind and rescued the foil, rode the foil back to my starting point holding my surfboard Thankfully it was a beginner foil as I would have had a harder time with an advanced foil.

Second, rescue somebody with their broken down gear.
I was out and was surprised to find an advanced foiler stuck in the middle of the water. He asked me for a tow, told him I'm a beginner but, if he can wait, I will return with a surfboard. Rode back to the beach switched to my surfboard, people were wondering why I was in such a hurry, nobody can see him from the beach. Handed him a tow rope and body dragged back to the beach.

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:47 pm

In general I'd do what PF recommends. That is within my abilities. I "rescued" foilboard twice. Once found a board floating, no rider, side shore wind, dragged the board to shore while keeping mine on my feet. Another was a board exchange with a beginner, surfboard for foil.
I did see skilled foilers carrying other foilboards before. The last time, Daniela Moroz rescued one in Los Barriles with ease that I found mind-boggling. Waaaaaay out of my league.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Keeping the board for self rescue, I have a reel leash that I use to clip to a footstrap to keep it with me while I pack down. We also use reel leashes as a tow line to drag others back to shore if needed. They are good because they retract completely when not in use and are always ready by grabbing with one hand and handing to someone.

While i like the idea of giving my board to the rescueee, and dragging to theirs, usually if someone is down, you might drop your kite as well. I would probably use my reel leash, clip to a foot strap and butt drag the board to shore. Issue with this is that to release it you have to be able to unclip it....this could be dangerous in sudden gust or getting into your own issue with the kite while dragging a full foil behind you.

At some point we make a call that "you are on your own".....we won't put ourselves in a dangerous position to save a board.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:07 pm

cwood wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:15 pm
At some point we make a call that "you are on your own".....we won't put ourselves in a dangerous position to save a board.
Yes, that's always something to consider. And only to be done if confident enough to pull that one off. Avoiding at all cost to drop your own kite in that rescue process!

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:17 pm

junebug wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:57 pm
irwe wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 pm
On my custom foilboard I had a plug put on the nose so the board so it can drift easily with me instead of drifting backwards on my other board attached to the rear surf leash plug.
If you would, please walk me through your thinking here. It seems to me like the attachment point for the spare leash would be better at the rear of the board so it can drift downwind nose forward.
You want the tow point on the bow because you want the board to drift from behind you for a few reasons.

1. Keep the board away from the lines
2. Keep the wings away from you
3. The board will track better in this position

Return to “Hydrofoil”