Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Getting out at rocky spot

Postby TomW » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Being a new HF junky, I'm doing anything to get in a foil session. Even driving 40 min to a Deepwater foil spot even tho I have my regular spot only 1 km away up the coast, where I've kited 5 years, 95% of the time alone.
Problem is that wind is always on shore, and the launch is on a cove that has rocky points, rocks in a spot in the middle and a few sand bars each side of the rocks.
This makes it a pretty good wave spot, but the rocks can get the foil.
I've checked it out thoroughly on the SUP the other day ( winter storms can change the bottom).

I'm trying to figure out how to HF there. The other day I walked out part way onto one of the rock points ( rocks= football to 1m dia boulders) Then with foil in air board in water tried to drag out far off into deep water. As soon as I'm in belly/ chest deep I can't keep foil in air, and it tips down, and I'm having trouble keeping it horizontal in water. There's some waves too and at times had to drop board to get control. This results banging the foil on some lone boulders that are sticking up.

I was thinking of trying some water-wing things, the kind toddlers have on arms, over wing tip and taking it off and clipping it to my harness. It would keep tip floating until I can drag out

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Getting out at rocky spot

Postby juandesooka » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:48 pm

At my home spot, I sometimes need to body drag out through kelp beds, approx 100m. This requires keeping foil out of the water, even if the mast is flat on surface it will catch. I've found the best way is to body drag with board upside down, with mast and wings in the air. I lay on front half of board, holding onto the downwind edge, with mast behind/under my downwind armpit, foil over my shoulder. You can kind of steer board with the downwind hand. It helps to have decent power in the kite, as its hard to work the kite one handed -- unfortunately this means being potentially over powered on foil once you get out there. Though being forced to ride a little more powered than you prefer may come with benefits, finding other ways to ride that are fun too. [and sorry if I've misunderstood what you're asking ;-) ]
bodydrag.JPG
bodydrag.JPG (61.59 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Last edited by juandesooka on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:55 pm

for rocky spot you can always do like Jake Kelsick haha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y552QdVzpeU

In flat water I can body drag while keeping mast horizontal to water line but my board has low volume "shinn el stubbo"... in waves must be tough, I am a newbie so no advises...

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:54 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:48 pm
At my home spot, I sometimes need to body drag out through kelp beds, approx 100m. This requires keeping foil out of the water, even if the mast is flat on surface it will catch. I've found the best way is to body drag with board upside down, with mast and wings in the air. I lay on front half of board, holding onto the downwind edge, with mast behind/under my downwind armpit, foil over my shoulder. You can kind of steer board with the downwind hand. It helps to have decent power in the kite, as its hard to work the kite one handed -- unfortunately this means being potentially over powered on foil once you get out there. Though being forced to ride a little more powered than you prefer may come with benefits, finding other ways to ride that are fun too. [and sorry if I've misunderstood what you're asking ;-) ]

bodydrag.JPG
That's great photo and just the kind of advice I'm looking for!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:28 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:55 pm
Snip...

In flat water I can body drag while keeping mast horizontal to water line but my board has low volume "shinn el stubbo"... in waves must be tough, I am a newbie so no advises...

If "unknown" bottom or rocks or low water sandbanks, and dead onshore wind, I always have my mast in the surface, holding the mast just under the board with one hand - works like a charm and gives an incredibly good long keel effect with your board and you so you go upwind top.
If I have the board upside down, it will either sink or nosedive, or I am not able to go upwind - works fine with bigger flat boards if wind a bit from the side yes, but if onshore or smaller board no....

I do like this:

Boarddrag.jpg

You can even lift the mast and wing totally out of the water this way twisting with your right hand in this pic (so diagonal out of the water but not upside down), if loads of seaweed :naughty:

If waves, I turn it around though, often like this (but be careful, even small waves can hit you into the foil or reverse):

Boarddrag4.jpg

Not belonging to this topic, as wont work if rocks underneath of course...

If no rocks and no nothing, the most relaxing and efficient way is in my experience, on all sizes and boardtypes:

Boarddrag1.jpg

I think we all have our individual preferences though, apart from some methods are not suited for all boards.

8) PF

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:17 am

Is this all worth it? Just ride LOL

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 100 Pies
Local Beach: Holbox, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Kappalady, Vella Island, Alankuda, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: Foil, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis Tray 94cm -MIA
Axis 545-MIA, 660 and 1000
Axis 96cm mast -MIA
Moses 633/483 and diy pocket board with C72 mast.
18m Slingshot Phantom
9m Core X Lite
7m Edge V8
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Postby Jugglajon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:01 am

I'm with Peter. Though I prefer to use the foil downwind like photo 2 or photo 3 when deep enough. I always prefer to keep the board between me and the foil.

Finding the correct position for your arm and elbow can be key to getting it to work properly. I use my elbow as a fulcrum with my forearm and upper arm at 90 degrees to each other.

In the unusual situation juandesooka has to deal with I also put the foil up. This however can be a high risk technique, as the foil can get caught in lines or worse hit you. I really try to avoid this technique unless absolutely necessary. When I do drag with the foil up, I assume a standard upwind body drag position and put my hand on the upwind side of the foil. By doing this I try to ensure that I can make the foil fall away from my lines if I encounter a sudden gust.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:25 am

I was out at a shallow spot yesterday, but it's complete sand, so tried a few of these. PF s nr 1 works best but the nose of board wants to push away, I see in pic Peter has nose a bit out of water. So I'll practice that... Nr 3 is what I normally do after walking as far as I can, but that won't work in rocky spot. ( rocks are randomly sticking up for 25 m out in water from chest deep.)
Juans procedure results in nose of board submerging.
I'm using a 13liters stubby 4-10 surfboard.

Thanks.

Return to “Hydrofoil”