pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140
Brand Affiliation: None

Am I jinxed?

Postby pj sofine » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:24 am

Back on 6/12 I posted asking advice on what foil to get started out on. Bought the hoverglide and mounted to my ss space pickle. How am I making out with this setup? Watched a bunch of videos, took the ss foil academy course. I'm an expert on foiling now. Problem is I hurt my back nearly 2 months ago, progressed into my sciatica, could hardly walk , on painkillers and muscle relaxents.Finally easing up the last 10 days or so and there's no wind at all! Foil is still sitting unused :angryfire: :duh: :evil: :-o :smash: :bj: :redangry: :nervous: :mad2:

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Am I jinxed?

Postby PullStrings » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:43 am

pj sofine wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:24 am
Back on 6/12 I posted asking advice on what foil to get started out on. Bought the hoverglide and mounted to my ss space pickle. How am I making out with this setup? Watched a bunch of videos, took the ss foil academy course. I'm an expert on foiling now. Problem is I hurt my back nearly 2 months ago, progressed into my sciatica, could hardly walk , on painkillers and muscle relaxents.Finally easing up the last 10 days or so and there's no wind at all! Foil is still sitting unused :angryfire: :duh: :evil: :-o :smash: :bj: :redangry: :nervous: :mad2:
I'm adding one more to take it to the limit of 10 emojis

:desperado:

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:03 pm

Send me a pm, I'll send you over a series of back excocises that will help with that.
Amos, get a Hyperice back icing system. It helps reduce inflammation and will get you on your feet again

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:39 pm

Hej Pj,
I'm having a roller-coaster ride too. I can relate.
Bought a foil last August. Looked at videos and lurking here hours on end. 3 sessions in I'm still not getting up and I tangle lines in foil and cut a hole in the arse of my new wetsuit. :angryfire:
1600€ is Wasted???

Now it's late September and I break for season. I'm not happy with my overly buoyant T40 board and convert my surfboard for trip. In February I take 4 hrs private instructions in Mexico and get up flying with some control. I'm ready to solo and do 3 more solo sessions in Mexico :thumb:

Back home it's freezing and 4 weeks later I'm back on T40 again in 3c water and can't see a thing with fogging glasses and can't get up at all.. hate the front footstraps :cry:

Get foothooks and back to my surfboard, go out 3 more times and have freezing cold choppy, solo sessions. But learning. 4 more sessions and really flying now! :rollgrin:

Pick up a shoe at home and Bam! Back pain, the thing like you. 2 weeks off work, 2 weeks to get back. :roll: :roll: Then only 30 min sessions for next 4 sessions in 2 weeks.. Get going doing 90 min sessions. On session 23-24.... Now and learning transitions. :thumb:

My converted surfboard is really dragging on touchdown due to conversion plate, so I make a new board quickly. 2 sessions, hit a sandbank and BAM board folds. :bye:

Now I am waiting for a new board to arrive.... More money.... :o
Have to convert an old experiment board so I don't miss the weekend - wind forecast.
I suspect my POS board will fail or I won't be able to ride it.... :cool2:

Happy my back is holding up anyway.

kxthor
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, Lake Charles
Gear: none yet, soon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kxthor » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm not a physical therapist or even in that field but I highly agree with the exercises.

I have been dealing with an IT band injury in my leg for about 6 months now and it stems from having weak hips. If your job requires you to sit down alot then this can result in the little muscles in the front of your hips to be tight thus making them weak and that can lead to other weak muscles other places. Think of the body as a chain, because you hurt one spot it can be a result as a weak point somewhere else.

My advice would be to go to a PT clinic and let them determine your weak points and go from there. What works for me may not work for you. Hope you get well, being injured really sucks when you are craving to do something athletically. If interested pm me and I can be more detailed. Good luck sir.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Prehab! Kiting is a monster on the core and you'll jerk something outta whack really quick without a good stretching/strengthening/prehab routine. Currently dealing with 2 bulged discs from kiting/snowboarding at the moment, really frustrating :-(

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pj sofine » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:08 am

Thanks,really tough when your self-employed to give the body a rest. Been doing rehab exercises like clockwork. Rough getting old! I actually have myself convinced that when I hit the water on the foil I'm going to be up and going in an hour or less! I know its probably the drugs talking lol. Soon.....

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:31 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:08 am
Thanks,really tough when your self-employed to give the body a rest. Been doing rehab exercises like clockwork. Rough getting old!
If you can stay OFF the pain-killers , and stick to the anti inflammatory drugs Only ; then
that would be good ! :thumb:

I'm about to try that omega xl stuff ; let Ya know how it goes ...

Bille

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:20 pm

Bille wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:31 pm
pj sofine wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:08 am
Thanks,really tough when your self-employed to give the body a rest. Been doing rehab exercises like clockwork. Rough getting old!
If you can stay OFF the pain-killers , and stick to the anti inflammatory drugs Only ; then
that would be good ! :thumb:

I'm about to try that omega xl stuff ; let Ya know how it goes ...

Bille
I never take anything except NSAIDs, even if I have so much pain I can't walk. I've taken both paracetamol and Diklofenak at same time according to a doctor's advice during the first 2 days of acute pain and it helps. I'm talking about " lying on back not moving except to go to the toilet " pain level.
That's right, in acute phase I'll stay immobile for 2 days, then start taking 5 min walks indoors, rest an hour, repeat. Next day, 10min walk, hour rest. Increase a bit every day and reduce rest. Follow up with professional massage or naprapat treatment after 4-6 days rest and over acute phase.
I've found that it's the first:2- 3 days of immobility that determines how fast and fully I will recover. If I try to be active through that, it never gets better, only delays recovery.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pj sofine » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:15 am

My time has come! Back is 95% .Mouth healed after crown/bridge broke off necessitating a pulled tooth and my weeklong stomach virus is almost over! Heading to windyville for 2 days starting tues and after 2 months I'll finally get that brandnew foil wet.Stay tuned,the way this summer is going who knows what adventure/disaster is heading my way. :-o

Return to “Hydrofoil”