A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: Chinese KB Hydrofoil : 300 USD + shipment

Postby james » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:27 pm

Oh ffs

Just carry on then, the fact that until now no one had even questioned his statements about the fuselage being ok to flex behind the mast and hey make it two piece for easy packing just shows how readily people on here will believe just about anything at the risk of hurting someone's feelings.

Crack on and keep drinking the koolade...

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:09 pm

james wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:34 am
...You state that fusealarge stiffness doesn't matter behind the mast? Where you drew the green lines?

It does, hugely!

How can you maintain a fixed angle of attack on the rear wing if it is twisting and flexing.
Have you even seen a hydrofoil, James? Because you would have noticed that the stabilizer area is 3 times or even less, compared to the main wing. That might have hint you that the forces involved in balancing the rear wing are much much lower than those at the front wing. With this argument, if you still insist that a 60 kg person on a balance board need to exert full force of 60 kg to maintain the balance, then the discussion ends right here.

Having said that, I'm not adamant on splitting the fuselage as the only solution to the package dimension problem. Detach the whole fuselage, like many other vendors do! I suspect that this would involve some engineering that JNJ wants to avoid, because their argument (that integrated fuselage makes it "strong") honestly doesn't hold any water with the twist number that I have measured.

To support my observation that shipping cost is a problem watch how many large items will they be able to move. $1000 for a board? That is tough sell.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:23 pm

I've only seen two carbon foils in person and both had integrated mast and fuselage. Is it typical now to have them 2 part like with the aluminum ones?
That would reduce bulk and shipping cost.

Most of the stuff I've bought on ali express or ebay from China is free shipping ... so it is sent as cheap as possible by boat and takes 4 to 8 weeks. I was surprised this seller is sending by air. A $300 board with $1000 shipping is absurd.

The alibaba link I posted earlier, great phoenix, has similar shipping cost for foil only at $150. But if include a 9 foot sup, shipping is $250 but slower.....sent by boat I assume. Price is $500 plus 250 shipping for a sup foil ... I am trying to stay strong but my resolve is slipping. ;-)

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Started foiling in 2013 so yeah I have seen and ridden a few.

Enough to know your talking out of your ass and now trying to back it up by casting doubt on my knowledge based on nothing other than guess work

Owned

Moses silente( before it was called the silente
Zeeko makira ( free ride, race wing and then custom speed wing from Nicholas)
Spotz 2 freerace
Banga race foil

Ridden in addition to the above
Levitaz
Sword 1
Moses fluente
Sword 2

Anymore you know what? None of them were flexible behind the mast.

And the reason the rear wing is so much smaller is that the distance behind the front wing gives so much leverage you can get away with a smaller rear

Levitaz pushed this with the bionic rear wing l, lengthening the fuselarge so as to reduce rear wing size and therefore remove parasitic drag

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:57 pm

OK, so you know the word "leverage", at least. Next, you may well know that the rider center of gravity is almost exactly above the front wing. Therefore, the full weight of rider (say 60 kilos) is leveraged on 20 or so cm of fuselage in front of the mast. That is quite a force ("lever" to be precise). This full lever (=60kg*20cm) has to be supported by fuselage strength. This puts the lower limit on how strong fuselage in front of the mast must be.

Now, since the rider is balanced over the front wing, very little adjustment is needed to maintain the balance. Any significant deviation from that delicate balance point would inevitably translate into one result: you fall. Therefore, the part of fuselage that does stabilizing is under significantly lower lever, I would guess not much more than 1kg*40cm. This means much lesser strength requirement, perhaps one order of magnitude less.

If you still not convinced, remember the times when rear wing was bolted above the fuselage? This is because it exerts the force downwards, so people were thinking that mounting it above fuselage would give the needed strength to counteract this downward force. As it turned out, it didn't really matter, and the wing bolted below fuselage with just two screws is fine. Therefore, if it is OK to attach the rear wing with 2 screws, why do you doubt that attaching the fuselage in similar way is flawed?
Last edited by tegirinenashi on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:44 pm

james wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:12 pm
And the reason the rear wing is so much smaller is that the distance behind the front wing gives so much leverage you can get away with a smaller rear
Nope. The rear wing is actually a stabilizer. It pushes down. The front wing carries all the weight of the board and rider *and* the downward force the rear wing produces.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:27 am

Tip from the past:
Don't argue with spork
He will argue for 500 pages and then go on TV to rub it in after he wins the argument.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:07 am

If any of you think James is somehow confused about what exactly a stabilizer does your stupider than you sound.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:57 am

Starsky wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:07 am
If any of you think James is somehow confused about what exactly a stabilizer does your stupider than you sound.
He pretty well proved he doesn't understand what a stabilizer does with his last post.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:15 am

Stupid it is.

Return to “Hydrofoil”