Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chinese KB Hydrofoil : 300 USD + shipment

Postby Oldman_Dave » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:47 am

Agree with wil, now that everyone's aired their views on the morals of the issue, lets hear more about the actual products. There is going to be demand if they're decent, whether people agree with it or not, if there's a $450AUD full carbon foil on the market that has acceptable performance, it's a game changer for a lot of people. I can see this thread going for a lot of pages.

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70KG
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Caution Santa Cruz Redline 132 TT
Epic Droid V2 135x41 TT
Chemical 132 TT
North Directional
Brand Affiliation: None, I wish.

Postby gilana » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Lest talk about the foils PLEASE!
How do they ride?
Have they broken?
Photos?
Come on guys, get off the computer and get on the water!

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:26 am

Just to clarify what I and a few others have done is bought a Chinese aluminium foil which appears to be the same as the Takuma V100 - Not the carbon foils shown on the front page. So it's not full carbon, and it rides the same as the Takuma. It's a SUP foil and discussed in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2397227

I for one would not buy a Chinese carbon foil as I know the amount of effort and expertise that goes into the layup to achieve the desired amount of stiffness, I don't believe a $300 foil is remotely the same product as one made with high modulus carbon in an autoclave.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Jzh_perth wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:26 am
Just to clarify what I and a few others have done is bought a Chinese aluminium foil which appears to be the same as the Takuma V100 - Not the carbon foils shown on the front page. So it's not full carbon, and it rides the same as the Takuma. It's a SUP foil and discussed in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2397227

I for one would not buy a Chinese carbon foil as I know the amount of effort and expertise that goes into the layup to achieve the desired amount of stiffness, I don't believe a $300 foil is remotely the same product as one made with high modulus carbon in an autoclave.
A friend of a friend of mine, builds his own hydrofoils in carbon, I had a long chat with him.

He purchased leftover rests carbon cloth on the internet, and made himself several hydrofoils which work.

His total cost is around 150€ on materials....so I can imagie Chinese builders can do it for the same price or less...and this is where their profit-margins will be.
I would not say the Chinese will be less quality, or layup, as they fabricate for most of all wellknown brands, so they have their experience, as they are used to build to the expected standards...
dude

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster

Postby Jzh_perth » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:27 am

Hey,
100% agree. When I think of carbon foils I was specifically thinking of levitaz (Austrian) or mikes lab (Us) level quality - like €3000 World Cup winning foils that are not "mass produced"

I can't justify paying $$$$ anymore for a carbon foils when all I do is freeride and i know an aluminium one will Be just as much fun, and not as eye wateringly expensive when I hit a reef or sandbar.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:23 am

So the Chinese Takuma is $450 including shipping for one unit and it works perfect for surf foiling and seems like decent quality?

Did you just email sublimation and tell them you want "the big foil" or something? Because the product pictures vary widely and it seems they could ship the wrong type....

If confirmed I'm buying one this week.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster

Postby Jzh_perth » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:54 am

RadDrDuke wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:23 am
So the Chinese Takuma is $450 including shipping for one unit and it works perfect for surf foiling and seems like decent quality?

Did you just email sublimation and tell them you want "the big foil" or something? Because the product pictures vary widely and it seems they could ship the wrong type....

If confirmed I'm buying one this week.
Yes, we exchanged pictures so we both know which foil was the right one. If you buy only one it was $438 +130 delivery. USD.

I am now in the manufacturing period waiting for them to email me a pic of the finished product to confirm before they ship.

Any Aussies reading this who are interested please contact me for a group buy. I have 5 foils accounted for, min quantity is 10
Last edited by Jzh_perth on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:54 am

What length mast are you ordering James? Any possibility to get short + long for minimal extra dollars?
Also if the wings are carbon, how are they handling the CF/Al interface regarding galvanic corrosion?

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster

Postby Jzh_perth » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:45 pm

I have ordered a 60 cm and 76cm mast and it was +50 for the extra mast.

I would have preferred 40cm and 76 as I am using it for teaching but I had to wait longer for a custom length. But yes, they are available and for a small outlay.

I understand galvanic corrosion to occur between the stainless steel bolts and the aluminium threads in the mast / fuse, I'm not sure I understand your question - if the manufacturer is obliged to do anything ? I don't expect them to do anything - it's easy enough for me to apply TefGel and crack the bolts once a month to make sure it hasn't seized. I use TefGel liberally on my other foils and never had a problem. I learnt the hard way by leaving my first foil (LF Foil Fish) assembled for 3 months with no TefGel and had to drill a bolt out when I wanted to it apart. Major PITA .

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:52 pm

Do they sell replicas of the wings of other brands?

Return to “Hydrofoil”