Rare Poster
Gear: ELEVEIGHT WS
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First Hydrofoil tips and advice

Postby justkite100 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:39 am

Hi All,
If this has been posted before please point me in the right direction...

I'm a total newbie to hydrofoils but have decided to jump straight in and buy one.

There is such a lot of choice on the market - can anyone recommend what I should be looking for as my first hydrofoil and board ?

Also, I keep hearing different opinions on straps vs strapless. Would it be too much of a challenge to learn strapless straight from day one?

stefarius
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind

Re: First Hydrofoil tips and advice

Postby stefarius » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:51 pm

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)

Postby mig27 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:24 pm

justkite100 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:39 am
Also, I keep hearing different opinions on straps vs strapless. Would it be too much of a challenge to learn strapless straight from day one?
I did from day one, and never tried with straps ever.
After two years I can say this:

Yes, it is possible.
But with at least one strap up front your progression will be better.
Getting on a strapless board is a trick you can learn from YouTube. Search for strapless hydrofoil waterstart. But it adds to the already long learning curve.

When riding it means you have no ability to pull the board up. All corrections have to be done by shifting your weight, much less room for error.

When their is sufficient wind for foiling it is not any more difficult than with straps.
However in the low and high-end straps will give you more options to not crash...

Still, I am stubborn and continue to ride strapless because it feels so good ;)

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:11 pm

I only ride my surfboard strapless and only think they should be on a surfboard if you are surfing XXL swell....

With that being said, I finally finished my own hydrofoil and board and have been riding it strapless. But I was VERY glad that I got to learn on a Double Agent that had a loose 3 strap setup on it. The first two sessions on my foil without straps was pretty tricky getting use to some of the possibly bad habits that I had gotten on the DA. I'd say having straps on it is way easier to learn because of the trickness of positioning a board with a foil on it and some of getting use to new body positioning on a foil. If I hadn't had a strong strapless surf background I'm sure even just the water starting on the foil strapless would be a bear to learn.

This is a SUPER helpful video for waterstarting on a strapless foil. The backhand trick really works well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anmTB__HNb8

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:51 pm

Ok, you're in Poole. Look at FC watersports website. They have a wide selection of gear. You're spoiled for choice. Wish I had a retailer like that close by.
Your choices :
Shinn P foil 90cm +Jackson board
Levitaz Cruiser + exo board
Slingshot NF2 + alien air 4-8 / dwarfcraft 4-6
Moses Fluente + T60

Actually the Jackson, alien air, dwarfcraft, and exo have tracks so you can put any of those foils on these boards. The T60 has holes in fixed position, so I'd stay with Moses foil on that board.

Ditch the Straps and get 2 or 3 Slingshot foothooks. let me emphasize : GET FOOTHOOKS!

I learned on and still have my 2016 moses Fluente with 548 front wing. It's not the easiest to learn on, but I managed.

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Definitely foothooks!

SOMETHING to help you ride on the surface (weight so far forward the board dowesn't foil right away). So a. a board with tracks, b. foothooks mounted all the way forward, or c. a shimmed rear stabilizer. Or some combination of those three things, until you get a feel for front foot pressure control.

Ideally, a short mast for learning. Lots of people learn without one. But it's faster and safer to learn with one. Be honest with yourself. Are you the kind of person who can hop on a new board and just ride, or do you need practice? If you aren't a top 10 percentile natural athlete then get a short mast to learn on.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:43 pm

gbrungra wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:08 pm
Definitely foothooks!

SOMETHING to help you ride on the surface (weight so far forward the board dowesn't foil right away). So a. a board with tracks, b. foothooks mounted all the way forward, or c. a shimmed rear stabilizer. Or some combination of those three things, until you get a feel for front foot pressure control.

Ideally, a short mast for learning. Lots of people learn without one. But it's faster and safer to learn with one. Be honest with yourself. Are you the kind of person who can hop on a new board and just ride, or do you need practice? If you aren't a top 10 percentile natural athlete then get a short mast to learn on.
Wow, I'm top 10 percentile natural athlete !!! Not. But I get your point...
Probably top 10 percentile in perseverance.

justkite100
Rare Poster
Gear: ELEVEIGHT WS

Postby justkite100 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:19 am

Wow thanks for all the advice, Ive just noticed my post has been posted twice on this forum but with separate titles.
The browser crashed when i clicked submit so i reposted but with a slightly different title. Sorry and perhaps an admin could combine them. ( link to duplicated post viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2397101 )

So far Im thinking Slingshot board and foot hooks ( tempted by the cabriha double agent due to the current promotional prices )

Im on 9m and 12m cabrinha FX's.... I'm guessing they're not the ideal kite for hydrofoiling. Not looking to change all my kit but I'm assuming they will get me started.

Return to “Hydrofoil”