neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

another learning to gybe post!

Postby neilhapgood » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:15 am

Hi all,

going to start trying some gybes and wondering how many of you have sustained knee or ankle injuries during the learning process?

I really need to avoid injury atm so wondering if its worth learning strapless first and then gybes or if gybes isn't too bad for these kinds of injuries as you have the back foot out anyway?

Or is the solution the old foothooks?!

thanks

Neil

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Re: another learning to gybe post!

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:04 am

Strapless wins if you have the skill to water start strapless

Otherwise a foot hook on the front is all you need.

No way I'd use both feet in straps.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:53 am

I'm in the process of learning and doing surface touch downs with downloops etc. I have tweaked the top of my arches of my feet a bit when not being careful to loosen my feet in the front straps before beginning. Your rear foot will be out of the strap already. Zero issues ever with knees. When I say tweak my foot...its like a hyper-extension of the foot. Hurt for a few days but doesn't stop me from kiting.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:36 pm

Yeah. I recon front foot hook also. strapless is a bit of annoying for the water start when learning. having a spot to locate that front foot is good.

However much more important than straps or no straps is water condition learning to surface gybe. If you can find some butter flat that will make the learning process so much faster and easier.

15 knots on a lumpy choppy sea is harder to learn to gybe than 30-40 knots on butter flat! I know, I've done both and every wind and water condition in between!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:20 pm

I have 2 foothooks, in line, front and back.
During my gybe attempts, my back foot is moved forward so it's not in rear hook. And front hook is in center, and my front foot is more to the side of it.
So when I fall, those hooks are not doing anything. It's like I'm riding strapless.

But water starting I have front forefoot leveraging board in hook, and rear foot in hook, as I start i just move my rear foot forward. I can kinda lift by back foot as board pops up on foil, and put it back down a few inches further forward as I level off.

I don't see any disadvantages to hooks, only advantages.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:31 pm

neilhapgood wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:15 am
Hi all,

going to start trying some gybes and wondering how many of you have sustained knee or ankle injuries during the learning process?

I really need to avoid injury atm so wondering if its worth learning strapless first and then gybes or if gybes isn't too bad for these kinds of injuries as you have the back foot out anyway?

Or is the solution the old foothooks?!

thanks

Neil

I dont know...

But for jibing straps are no risk, as you have to take your foot a bit out of the strap in advance :naughty:

For carving or waveriding though, it is more risky, especially with only one strap, as you have your foot quite well put into it.
Personally I prefer being in both front and rear strap then, as I wont risk getting twisted and only hanging in the front strap - but that might just be me :wink:

Hooks might be a good choice.

8) PF

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:31 pm
Personally I prefer being in both front and rear strap then, as I wont risk getting twisted and only hanging in the front strap - but that might just be me
I agree with that, when you explode with only a front foot in the straps that can sometimes be worse than if you'd had both feet in. I've been lucky not to have any serious ankle twists, but it's happened to me and it's really sketchy if you're going fast.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:24 pm

i a had a (fairly minor) fractured/bruised 1st metatarsal in my foot while carving to toeside at speed, and falling over the toeside edge. i always ride my straps loose but my feet just didnt come out and cracked the bone as my foot bent forward. my foot swelled up several cms and was unable to put weight on it for a while.

after that i stopped gybing to toeside while foiling and only did them with a touchdown. but after switching to strapless i started doing them again no problem and have progressed to flying gybes with a foot change on both sides. i would say that ify ou're comfortable riding you can try taking the straps off for foot changes, it is much easier than with straps once you get used to riding and waterstarting without them. water starts are the main thing that sucks strapless if the wind isn't very strong

Return to “Hydrofoil”