Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: 2018 LF Thruster Foil

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:33 pm

Starsky wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:58 pm
The Horue H13 foil is probably the lightest on the market.
Yes it is, with 1,3 kg complete and Levitaz Bionic maybe one of the heaviest carbon foil with 4,1 kg. But on the end hydrofoiling is not just about hydrodynamic and weight but also costs, stability and stiffness.
Liquid Force for sure stays also in 2017 a basic beginner product, which is affordable and stable and therefore need not to be the lightest and hydrodynamic best foil. So everything ok, also the Levitaz fuselage weights 1,2 kg, but pays back with extremly low glide resistance with the bionic backwing .... lets say, for a normal non mono foil :wink:

Apart from mono foils I prefer the heavy beast, where I don't need to care if it will break every minute, even if going just straight, but just my personal preference. Horue is making cool stuff anyway.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:52 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:09 pm
I don't know what you have meant by "box section". Their fuselage cross section is round with the top and bottom planed/sawed off (the cheapest shape to produce, I guess). Ironically, this makes fuselage cross section more wide than tall. Think how silly it is: the forces on the fuselage are clearly directed more vertical, than horizontal!

Furthermore, I don't know why you bring up Levitaz design. Wasn't it you who repeatedly insisted that split fuselage is a no go, and failed to retract your obviously flawed assertion?
Because levitaz don't have a split fusealarge, it is a single piece that slides through the mast and protrudes into the front wing and is then all bolted up.

When was it decided that single piece fusealarge was the wrong design? Who by? Not any foil builder that's for sure.
How is the flexible fuselage program going anyway?

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tegirinenashi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:48 pm

To put this to rest, I'm OK with single piece fuselage design. Split fuselage is OK too (example Spotz Tuna/Shark). Whatever works to achieve compact disassembled state.

As for the question if LF 2015-2017 fuselage is overbuild, there is a simple argument that settles it -- Stringy foil. It utilities the same mast, but with much better engineered fuselage keeps the weight around 4 kg.

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:24 pm

The Kiteboarder put together a pretty good video covering the Thruster foil. According to LF it has the same low end as the rocket low aspect foil and the same top end as the medium aspect happy foil. I'm looking to buy my first foil in the next few months is this possible and are there any scarifies by it having this kind of range?

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:04 pm

ralu81 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:24 pm
.... According to LF it has the same low end as the rocket low aspect foil and the same top end as the medium aspect happy foil. I'm looking to buy my first foil in the next few months is this possible and are there any scarifies by it having this kind of range?
Hi ralu81,
I would be more afraid that the new "Hydrodynamic shape fuselage designed for superior water flow" let it feel like riding the same trash can as their older foils have been. And would be even more afraid that all the water around it could immediately freeze in protest for such "low resistance and minimal cavitation" commercial bla bla bullshit. :wink: sorry

But to be seriously: I don't think you can go to much wrong with that foil, but in no case you have to be afraid of to much performance and range with it. On the other hand I am pretty sure there are many better alu foils from experienced manufacturers for more attractive pricing around, as zeeko, thekitefoil or maybe alpine and for sure some more.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:04 pm

it feel like riding the same trash can as their older foils have been.

I am pretty sure there are many better alu foils from experienced manufacturers for more attractive pricing around, as zeeko, thekitefoil or maybe alpine and for sure some more.
:thumb:
R H

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:26 pm

Thanks for the advice Horst... I'm going to watch sales and what comes out over the fall/winter and make a decision. I'm looking for something that I'll be able to grow into some without having to purchase a new set of $400 wings once I get the hang of it.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:27 am

Just pick up a 2017 happy foil on sale this winter. Should be very cheap and great to take you up to solid intermediate. Better than the rocket foil in my opinion. Not sure about thruster but it's brand new and probably slightly better so it will cost more.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:23 am

RadDrDuke wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:27 am
Just pick up a 2017 happy foil on sale this winter. Should be very cheap and great to take you up to solid intermediate. Better than the rocket foil in my opinion. Not sure about thruster but it's brand new and probably slightly better so it will cost more.

True, should be okay low cost and it works really well both board and foil IMO, and way "ahead" of the rocket foil :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfJPHK1FI-8

8) PF

ralu81
Medium Poster
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:05 pm

The cost of the new thruster isn't bad actually. I think they're $900 but without a travel bag (no bag is no issue for me). Can you tell me how the liens of the happy foul is? That was my only concern with it. I've spoke with a couple of people and they've said it's afaster foil than the rocket.

Return to “Hydrofoil”