Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is it possible to kite a surf-foil?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Is it possible to kite a surf-foil?

Postby BWD » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:45 pm

@ norcom your links seem to be truncating so they fail.
perhaps the kiteforum software can't handle the length.

But I think I see what you ordered on the page at

https://sublimationsports.en.alibaba.com/

Have not messaged them to check, but they list minimum orders of 10 pieces.

BTW yesterday I rode my zeeko carver and had the fun taste of breaching the foil without crashing for a fairly extended period, maybe 10 seconds or so, due to being powered with the kite very high.
Normally with this foil i can tolerate a good amount of "burps and slurps" as wingtips breach momentarily, but not the full wing.
This really showed what large wing size is about -reduced wing loading in terms of PSI. With the kite taking a lot of my weight, the surface loading on the wing was light enough for the wing to support me as if it were a small planing board. It was interesting.

pcatran
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rio de Janeiro, Buzios
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pcatran » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:55 pm

Dear All,

thanks for the insights, Ive read all with great interest.

If the large wings are slower, it means that you need a smaller kite?
How much slower in terms of % ? enough to be slower than the wave? (Ive seen the videos... but it is nice to have your opinion)
Also, does it means that on downwind should be easier, as you can lfy with less power?
Finally, how much more carving/ manuverability do you gain?

Therefore: is it worth to buy a surf-foil to kite-foil on the waves?

Cheers, Paulo

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:06 pm

BWD wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:45 pm
@ norcom your links seem to be truncating so they fail.
perhaps the kiteforum software can't handle the length.

But I think I see what you ordered on the page at

https://sublimationsports.en.alibaba.com/

Have not messaged them to check, but they list minimum orders of 10 pieces.

BTW yesterday I rode my zeeko carver and had the fun taste of breaching the foil without crashing for a fairly extended period, maybe 10 seconds or so, due to being powered with the kite very high.
Normally with this foil i can tolerate a good amount of "burps and slurps" as wingtips breach momentarily, but not the full wing.
This really showed what large wing size is about -reduced wing loading in terms of PSI. With the kite taking a lot of my weight, the surface loading on the wing was light enough for the wing to support me as if it were a small planing board. It was interesting.
Weird, those links no longer work and their site no longer lists that particular foil. But yes, that's the place. Perhaps there was too much interest or someone complained about its sale?

I couldn't agree with you more about the feeling of a "small planing board". Though I'm not really referring to breaching it, just the way it felt while riding. These wings are so big it's like riding a small board under the water.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:20 pm

pcatran wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:55 pm
Dear All,

thanks for the insights, Ive read all with great interest.

If the large wings are slower, it means that you need a smaller kite?
How much slower in terms of % ? enough to be slower than the wave? (Ive seen the videos... but it is nice to have your opinion)
Also, does it means that on downwind should be easier, as you can lfy with less power?
Finally, how much more carving/ manuverability do you gain?

Therefore: is it worth to buy a surf-foil to kite-foil on the waves?

Cheers, Paulo
Definitely smaller kite, these massive wings have so much slow speed lift it's silly. The one thing I found having zero issues with is riding down wind on this foil. I'm not that good at foiling but had absolutely no issues with riding down wind on a small wave and carving back and doing flying transitions. I have to keep speed on the faster foil going down wind so it doesn't stall. And I can't carve/ride the waves on the other foil at all. So I gained 100% maneuverability on the SUP foil but that's lack of skill mostly. :lol:

Is it worth it? To me, in crappy conditions, yes. But it's not a do-it-all foil. I only have experience with three foils. I remember learning on the LF Fun Foil and the one thing I absolutely HATED is how it topped out at speed so fast. The SUP foil tops out even faster but I feel it to be more like a cruiser and then you catch a wave with it and have zero issues going back upwind.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi. Just found this thread and glad someone has taken the plunge with this Chinese Takuma. I have currently listed my Spitfire zeeko for sale and as soon as it's gone I'm going to order one of these Chinese foils from the same supplier. I emailed them yesterday via the Alibaba app - raphael at sublimationsports.com got straight back to me. The ways it works is you buy 1 as a sample for $438 plus shipping, and then if you buy more you get $100 refunded off the total order.

So how is the quality - you seem happy with it. The rear wing - does it have the same spacer / riser as the original ? I'd say not based on your first pic but I guess it still works just fine.

I'm hoping to use this as a wave foil for myself, and as a teaching foil for students. Probably going with the 76cm mast ( he offered me 60cm, 76cm or 91cm and I am undecided. Always ridden full length masts myself.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:12 pm

Good info Jzh, thanks for sharing. My interest right now is more in getting a sup foil -- these seem they'd fit the bill nicely, both for that and crossover for slower wave kiting too.

If you're interested in sup foiling too, I am told a part of the reason for shorter mast is so you can still get your paddle into the water. Seems to be 24" / 60cm is about the max.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster

Postby Jzh_perth » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:11 am

I can tell you my SUP skills limit me to dead flat water with zero wind. I am a long way from trying a sup hydrofoil :). The mast length paddle issue makes a lot of sense when you phrase it like that.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:46 am

I may buy one to mount on a paddle surf board, how much was shipping?

Do you like the quality? Is it worth $500 ?

Lots of us would be interested in your review of the foil with pictures if possible

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster

Postby Jzh_perth » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:29 am

I'll let you know when I get it. If there is a few of us in Australia we should organise a group buy. Min quantity to get the $340USD price is 10 units. Shipping for 1 item is $130 which makes it $568USD for 1 (or $710 AUD)

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:45 am

It comes with the same rear spacer as the Takuma. Same case, hardware, etc. ... it's the same thing. The build quality is good, though I've only used it maybe 5-6 times now. Main complaint is it's VERY heavy. So even though they mention "carbon" somewhere, front wing feels like it's made of lead. There's nothing light about it. The front wing alone weighs more than my whole Ghost Whisper foil.

Overall I really like it, though bigger surf was a little harder to carve on due to my skill level. The 60cm mast felt fairly short on steep waves and made the margin of error a lot smaller but I do like being lower to the wave. It's bat-shit-boring in flat water. The closest I could describe it is if you've ever shlogged on a windsurfer, this is what foiling at 8mph feels like. :lol: You're on a foil but going so slow! This was in very light winds. But as soon as you find a 1' wave to play on, you're set!

The Chinese shop said the foil was an open-design. So I'm not sure if Takuma's reselling these with their brand name or the design was jacked. Checking the Takuma site doesn't really list any design info.

Return to “Hydrofoil”