Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Re: Is it possible to kite a surf-foil?

Postby Jzh_perth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Nice ! Is that a zeeko ?

Looks like you are still pretty fast and outrunning the wave. If you can, try a SUP/Surf foil like Takuma or GoFoil which are much slower and will allow you to stay with the wave.

pcatran
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rio de Janeiro, Buzios
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pcatran » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Jzh_perth wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:50 pm
Nice ! Is that a zeeko ?

Looks like you are still pretty fast and outrunning the wave. If you can, try a SUP/Surf foil like Takuma or GoFoil which are much slower and will allow you to stay with the wave.
Thanks Man!

Yes, that is Zeeko White and Green - which I reallly loooooveee!!!

But you are right... - I am outrunning the wave. this is what I want to achieve changing the foil model - to actually surf the wave.
I am still learning too...
But I am willing to get a surf foil for sure!!!

Also, as you can see, I have the most laid-off waves and wind all year around.
I am in Natal - Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil. The beack is Ponta Negra.
You are all invited to check out! - just message me in pvt

Regardssss

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster

Postby Jzh_perth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:41 pm

I have the same zeeko. It's a great foil. I also tend to outrun the foil and have to turn back towards it. The surf foil like Takuma is a lot slower.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby liv2surf » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:05 am

I have been having some fun on my LF Foilfish in the surf. I know everyone bashes the LF Foilfish with standard ~36"/~91cm mast -- and I am the first to admit I have only tried 2 other foils for less than 45 min combined. But when I heard people on this thread talking about wanting a slow foil in the surf I decided to embrace my foilfish. Had two days back to back in small 1m waves this weekend. LF FF was plenty slow and I could maneuver it more than a surfboard on the waves (so that seemed fine). My biggest problem was staying on foil when cutting back/turning 180 degrees downwind, from heelside to toeside, especially when the wind dropped off near shore (but that is just my lack of skill and bad wind, haha). Need a day with more filled-in wind... but did manage to get a few good toeside rides (although my riding/waveriding is definitely not as 'good' toeside). Waves were small 1m beach break. I am still intrigued by the Chinese Takuma-like foil. I doubt it floats. Does the weight (5.7 kg/12.5 lbs) bother people. It looks indestructible which is great because I usually hit bottom when I come in on my foil. Often I leave my foil in the waves wile I land my kite -- would definitely not do that with a $2000 carbon foil. My G10 wings are pretty worn down from hitting sand and possibly occasionally harder things on bottom. Cheers. liv2surf
Last edited by liv2surf on Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster

Postby Jzh_perth » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:14 am

First session at home on the new china surf foil. I’m totally stoked by this package. Strong and versatile and affordable. It’s beautifully stable and quiet to ride - I think that’s the advantage of its weight. No vibration or noise whatsoever, and because it has a bit of mass it plots theu weed without throwing you off.

Re whether is “might” sink - every foil I’ve had sinks.. including zeeko, KFA, Levitaz and liquid force. all of them sank why not attached to a board. For me this is a non issue. Use a short foil leash if you are worried about losing it.

https://vimeo.com/235310946

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:24 am

Really glad that the new foil worked great!! In addition to not sinking it seems to me that heavy foils are harder to get and keep on their side for launching. But, I have never had a light foil, so I am imagining how they might behave. Great that you pointed out some great advantages of a fuller foil: smooth ride and not being as likely to be thrown off by hitting kelp. I'll probably get one, especially since I am so rough on my gear. Nice video, the foil looks fun!!

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby liv2surf » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:12 am

Jzh_perth wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:14 am
First session at home on the new china surf foil. I’m totally stoked by this package. Strong and versatile and affordable. It’s beautifully stable and quiet to ride - I think that’s the advantage of its weight. No vibration or noise whatsoever, and because it has a bit of mass it plots theu weed without throwing you off.

Re whether is “might” sink - every foil I’ve had sinks.. including zeeko, KFA, Levitaz and liquid force. all of them sank why not attached to a board. For me this is a non issue. Use a short foil leash if you are worried about losing it.

https://vimeo.com/235310946
The 'Chinese SUP foil' comes with (I think) a 60 cm mast. Also available are 76 and 91 cm masts. I am used to using a 91 cm mast. What are your thoughts about masts longer that the 60 cm mast that comes standard?

Mitaka
Frequent Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud D0, F-One MITU, KETOS foil

Postby Mitaka » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:37 am

liv2surf wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:12 am
The 'Chinese SUP foil' comes with (I think) a 60 cm mast. Also available are 76 and 91 cm masts. I am used to using a 91 cm mast. What are your thoughts about masts longer that the 60 cm mast that comes standard?
Shorter mast makes the foil more agile, reactive, easier to turn - this is exactly what you want from a slow, wave oriented foil. With shorter mast you can make more radical turns at lower speed on the wave. The faster you ride and carve - the longer mast you need (racers use 110 cm).
91 cm mast is for relaxed cruising with that wing, if thats is what you want. For wavering I would choose 76 cm max.

Return to “Hydrofoil”