Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: Is it possible to kite a surf-foil?

Postby dylan* » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:45 pm

norcom wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:00 am
dylan* wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:38 am

why did you cut off which meter that is? 95% of the meters here are completely useless. It could be a hurricane outside and most meters will read 10 knots

Wow you're ignorant. I pasted details that are relevant. I said i can put the GPS coordinates of the locations as well. Here's the meter that's from http://www.windalert.com/spot/51238

And "95%"? Do you have actual data to prove this? Oh wait, you're pulling numbers out of your ass. At least I stated how I got the wind measurements. I've used this meter for many years as well as measuring with handheld and comparing. I know how to read this meter on all the directions.

Just because YOU can't launch YOUR kite doesn't mean it's not possible. Go suck one boy. You came out accusing and brought shit to this thread.
All you have to do is stop lying, it's that simple. When you make things up, it doesn't help anyone on this site. No one is foiling on an 11m LEI in 4-7 mph. Maybe that's what your inaccurate wind meter read, but you should have the experience to know that it is wrong and make the corrections yourself, rather than spread false information.
Last edited by dylan* on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:16 pm

norcom wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:57 pm
Hell yeah it is! And it's ACTUALLY FUN!

Just picked up a Chinese Takuma copy and had a BLAST on knee high waves in 10-15mph wind with a 9m Cabo. I'm now sold on foils and waves. This foil is incredible! I've never done flying gybes, flying water starts, or real wave riding/carving on my Ghost Whisper but I was doing them after 30min on the SUP foil. I was carving on the wave and IT FELT GOOD! SURF-FEELING GOOD! The 60cm mast puts you very close on the wave and the slow speed of the foil is PERFECT to ride the wave. You REALLY FEEL the wave on this thing because of the huge wing. It has a very low stall speed and breaching the water doesn't drop you off the foil like a regular kite foil. I topped out around 15mph for a few seconds on it but it's not fun at speed. I was averaging around 10mph for wave riding and I would guess the stall speed is 4-5mph.

The day after I tried this foil with the 11m Cabo, 30m lines in 4-8mph wind in 90°F weather. I could get going but couldn't keep upwind. The foil has major drag (which is great for waves) but sucks when you try to build apparent wind. Still, I could start where as I wouldn't have been able to on the Ghost Whisper.

It's MY game changer! I hated foils for the last few years while riding my LF Fun Foil. I liked it more when I switched to the Slingshot Ghost Whisper but it was only for light wind. But now I'm sold. I haven't had this much fun in such sloppy waves, EVER.
is yours the one that has 68x30cm wing dimensions? The takuma is 59x26 I believe. This one may be a little too big to let you go "fast" but glad you are enjoying it...
The big question to me is balancing the requirements: how big do you have to go to get wave feel versus how big a wing will still let you go fast enough to enjoy other conditions (for me this is about 20 knots).
It seems like the takuma has the balance about right, while most kitefoil "surf" wings are a little too fast to really surf.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:20 pm

dylan* wrote:
All you have to do is stop lying, it's that simple. When you make things up, it doesn't help anyone on this site. No one is foiling on an 11m LEI in 4-7 mph. Maybe that's what your inaccurate wind meter read, but you should have the experience to know that it is wrong and make the corrections yourself, rather than spread false information.
You thought I was hiding details when I copy/cropped the meter pic, so I linked you the meter and the only thing you can come back with is "stop lying"?

This isn't a light wind thread where I'm trying to convince anyone of my unbelievable feats. So exactly, "why make things up?" Read the details of my posts again, particularly where I said I was on the 9m and actually had a session when there was wind.

I posted what I measured with my handheld, meter and GPS log details of what wasn't even a session, just a TEST. YES, it's possible to launch and YES, it's possible to get going in those winds with a light weight 11m kite. TO GET GOING. Read this next part slowly, TO GET GOING. But you wont be doing it for long and it's not going to be fun. Check the GPS log, the whole thing lasted barely a couple of min before I said I dropped the kite back on the beach.

When's the last time you tried to launch in such light wind? And what kites did you try with? I have four kites in my quiver around this size range: 2012 Switchblade 11m, 2015 Rally 12, 2016 SST 12m and a 2015 Cabo v3 11m. Out of those kites the only one that would launch in under ten is the Cabo.

So when you come out talking shit, back it up with some relevant data kid. Just calling me a liar only makes you look stupid.
Last edited by norcom on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:33 pm

Lol ok kook. Have fun kiting in 4 mph in fantasy land

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:33 pm

BWD wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:16 pm

is yours the one that has 68x30cm wing dimensions? The takuma is 59x26 I believe. This one may be a little too big to let you go "fast" but glad you are enjoying it...
The big question to me is balancing the requirements: how big do you have to go to get wave feel versus how big a wing will still let you go fast enough to enjoy other conditions (for me this is about 20 knots).
It seems like the takuma has the balance about right, while most kitefoil "surf" wings are a little too fast to really surf.
The Alibaba page says 59x26cmn and 38x11.1cm rear. It's an identical/original copy. The whole package comes with the case, T-nuts, screws just like the Takuma.

While riding it I thought about the front wing being a little smaller to get a little more speed. But I really don't think I'd want to. I wanted a larger wing for my Ghost Whisper but there's no way a wing this size would fit. I would also need a new mast because the 60cm really worked so well, for me. So basically a whole new foil.

I like being closer to the water on the 60cm mast, I like how it's so close to the wave. The 110cm on GW is just not surfy-feeling. The large wing has a surfboard feel when carving. All that area gave me the same feeling of drag through the wave like a surfboard. Where as the GW foil wings feel like they're knives slicing through. I think I just like how slow it can go compared to the minimum 12mph speed of the other foil.

I'd still never rig a foil if there's enough wind to use a surfboard. But I'm not sure a surfboard ever felt this good in broken up, knee high wind slop. This seemed to catch the "waves" so much better. I need more time on it, I might hate it after ten sessions.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:42 pm

dylan* wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:33 pm
Another great post! Thanks for bringing quality information to this thread and forum! Your attention to detail and relevance for the subject matter as well as your lifelong kiteboarding experience make you the most qualified person to be the impossible police.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:18 pm

norcom wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:42 pm
dylan* wrote:
Another great post! Thanks for bringing quality information to this thread and forum! Your attention to detail and relevance for the subject matter as well as your lifelong kiteboarding experience make you the most qualified person to be the impossible police.
I mean, there's no reason to even bother refuting anything you say, because you're claiming to ride in 4-7 mph of hot, humid florida wind with an 11m inflatable kite. I understand that they don't have the best education system in that part of the country, but you cant expect people to take you seriously when you don't understand how numbers work.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:59 pm

dylan* wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:18 pm
I mean, there's no reason to even bother refuting anything you say, because you're claiming to ride in 4-7 mph of hot, humid florida wind with an 11m inflatable kite. I understand that they don't have the best education system in that part of the country, but you cant expect people to take you seriously when you don't understand how numbers work.
Understand how what numbers work? You haven't posted ANY information to disprove what I posted. You called me a liar and accused me of hiding details. I provided details but it didn't play in your favor so you just disregarded them. In your previous post you claimed I ride in 4mph, I never said that. I said what I measured. You can claim my wind meter is uncalibrated and the local weather station is broken but calling me a liar? Eat shit.

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Postby palmbeacher » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:44 pm

norcom wrote:
BWD wrote:
The Alibaba page says 59x26cmn and 38x11.1cm rear. It's an identical/original copy. The whole package comes with the case, T-nuts, screws just like the Takuma.
Can you post the link to the Alibaba ad?

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:52 pm

palmbeacher wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:44 pm
norcom wrote:
BWD wrote:
Can you post the link to the Alibaba ad?
It's also on the first page. https://sublimationsports.en.alibaba.co ... 2c54FRTZ11

Return to “Hydrofoil”