pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140
Brand Affiliation: None

I "payed the piper" today!

Postby pj sofine » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:39 pm

After a nice successful 1st 2hr session on the 15" mast,followed by 2nd 2 hr session on 24' mast I mounted the 30" mast for session 3.Got my a%6 handed to me lol.Sketchy sideshore winds 10-20,3 foot waves directly on shore,low-mid tide with a series of sandbars.Hit the bars 3 times,nice "over the falls" crashes.Hitting waves head on was suicidal. Constant falling back in water with water slapping my head,dropped kite,foil railing over,waves crashing over my head,board constantly out of position.I actually got an aerobic workout,can't remember gasping for breath in 16 years of kiting.So I guess mother nature won this round,but I learned a lot and actually got a few 100 foot rides.If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger!Can't wait for some user friendly conditions, :thumb:

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: I "payed the piper" today!

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:42 pm

Just like everyone else :)

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pj sofine » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:54 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:42 pm
I thought maybe I could avoid it lol. Delusional I know.Actually went out knowing I was doomed,all by myself no witnesses or photos !

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:05 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:54 pm
Pedro Marcos wrote:
I thought maybe I could avoid it lol. Delusional I know.Actually went out knowing I was doomed,all by myself no witnesses or photos !
<<- kitesurfer for many years with lots of time on the water, learned all the handlepasses when they started, buys an hidrofoil and goes to the water thinking he will rock it in the first hour.... wrong!! soooo wrong!!! :rollgrin:

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pj sofine » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:15 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:05 pm
pj sofine wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:54 pm
Pedro Marcos wrote:
<<- kitesurfer for many years with lots of time on the water, learned all the handlepasses when they started, buys an hidrofoil and goes to the water thinking he will rock it in the first hour.... wrong!! soooo wrong!!! :rollgrin:
One thing I've noticed in my first 5 hrs,the flight school masts,the wealth of knowledge available makes learning a lot easier than what I've witnessed locally,I held off a year or so after watching some of my friends get destroyed ! I'm way ahead of the game because of more user friendly gear and being able to pick others brains! Not due to any special skills or talents I have most definitely ! This is a good time to be learning,can't blame equipment,its all on us.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:00 am

pj sofine wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:39 pm
I actually got an aerobic workout,can't remember gasping for breath in 16 years of kiting.So I guess mother nature won this round,but I learned a lot and actually got a few 100 foot rides.If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger!Can't wait for some user friendly conditions, :thumb:
Dude, I always thought the hydrofoilers were chilling out riding back and forth, lmfao! It's the total opposite. Learning is like riding the hydro hard. When you get good you can go for a nice walk on the hydrofoil and burn 300 calories in an hour, but if you start getting after it you will burn 1000 calories in a session easy. I wear a wrist monitor and if you do a lot of boosting you burn crazy calories, if you ride hard and fast a little less, and if you mow the lawn you can almost be talking a fast walk.

I've rode for 2 hours multiple times and burned thru 5000 calories that day...when I was learning I had to swim in from a mile out then run after my board for 2 miles downwind, then swim out a quarter mile, then swim back in, walk back, pack down...etc...burned 8000 calories that day. Brutal...I'll never forget that experience, specially b/c I should have lost my board and foil. If you ever get into trouble remember that foil is going to haul ass downwind so grab it before you start trying to relaunch your kite!

Your legs are going to burn once you start riding well, but 2 sessions after that you will learn to ride relaxed and it's a game changer! I freaking love foiling.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pj sofine » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:41 am

Got 5 days of wind forecasted sun-thur,I'm actually hoping its not to much for me to foil.Now that's a first,wishing for less wind! Probably just head out and take my lumps,still waiting for a nice 12 knot ,flat water session to actually have fun. At this point I have no idea where I stand,been battling waves,gusty winds and inexperience.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:02 am

I rode for 70 minutes today.....ride hard!!!!

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:03 am

good job. now plan on another year or so of falling and crashing harder than ever until you nail your flying transitions. it will seem impossible at first but if you try and crash often enough it will all come together

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pj sofine » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:30 pm

airsurfer wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:03 am
good job. now plan on another year or so of falling and crashing harder than ever until you nail your flying transitions. it will seem impossible at first but if you try and crash often enough it will all come together
Sounds like fun,good thing I'm a masochist :smash: :smash: This reminds me of when as a windsurfer I started kiting as a "low wind" option.Haven't windsurfed in 15 yrs lol.Now I'm looking at foiling the same way,we'll see what happens.Has anyone gone totally hydrofoil? Stopped tt and surfboards?

Return to “Hydrofoil”