Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

"Club under 21" or about the "stimulating Slow Style"

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:52 pm

inspired by BraCuru's "Club 50" viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2396749

i asked my self: "Do you really want to join Club 50?" :-? :wink:
or to everybody: "Wouldn't you prefer Club under 21, if you could?" :D

What I tell you is, yes you can, just take a big foil wing and join "Club under 21" today! 8)

To be more detailed:

Does fun and the sensation of speed has anything to do with absolute speed values?
I say: No!
If it would, for sure I would not use foilboards, but go back to freerace alpine snowboard, where I have been everyday faster than the best kitefoilers have ever been and ever will.
Or I would use more airplanes and trains :wink: . But in my experience, while sitting in a train that rides 300 km/h I often feel unhappy like, "oh 300 km/h, but still one hour delay for my meeting in Berlin, so please couldn't we go a bit faster?" :P
While on the other hand, going with a monofoil or unicycle with close to 30 km/h mostly will feel much more like: "Oh damm this is so crazy fun and fast better go a bit slower to not slam into the supersonic wall! :rollgrin:

So my question is, why should we exceed human body's physical speed specifications, risking to injure ourself, when staying within can already be so much fun?

And on top, whats about the stimulation that brings slow style?

Yesterday I was riding next to Peter Müller with his dopple speed and tripple high jumps with huge downloops, which was all real great and fun to look at.
But on the end he also had to use double of equipment, kitesize, bigger heavier foil, in total for sure dopple pricing etc. than I did, not talking about risks to hurt. But I was not sure if he really also had double of my fun, as it was already pretty great.
:D

For me style and fun is also much more about flow, as maybe one of the best examples many know from Gregs style: http://www.boardridingmaui.com/videos.html

It is not about to accelerate for 1/4 mile to boost one single high jump, but much more about to never end a maneuver or to be immediately into the next one. Going slow stimulates this style to keep the flow.
With the mono I am still a bit distance from that for sure, as my jibes are often still awkward, but I started to combine maneuvers and sometimes stay within a less than 100 x 100 m field just to maneuver, maneuver, maneuver, jump, maneuver, ...

But interested if anybody else prefers slow style in front of Club 50 ?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: "Club under 21" or about the "stimulating SLOW STYLE"

Postby OzBungy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:13 pm

I have bought a high quality low speed foil and I am really, really happy with it. So much fun carving turn after turn after turn. Really looking forward to trying it out in some decent waves.

Also the ability to drop a kite size is very nice.

It's early days and I haven't explored it enough to totally commit to low speed foiling, but I'm certainly very happy to have the option in the quiver.

I also got a short (70cm) mast. I've used it once in light wind, shallow onshore conditions and it is nice to not bottom out water starting. Not so sure it adds to the riding experience. It was kind of scary to hear the wings popping out of the water, but nice that it didn't result in a crash. It's still a good thing to have in the quiver.

https://www.jshapes.com/collections/foi ... ruzer-foil

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:41 pm

May I apply for membership? Never reached 21 knots with a hydrofoil.
Great topic BTW, Horst. :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:54 pm

I am on the same track, although not only BIG wings...

You dont need that, to join Club under 21, as even with the small fast wings and wavewings you dont ride over 21 knots, more like 15 knots, and fun because they turn and handle way faster :thumb:

It seems that most on this forum ARE in this club anyways, not many who wants to go fast... But some also, yes.
I think it is because racers dont care about us kooking around, so not interested in this forum.
It is also two different worlds and equipment got absolutely nothing in common whatsoever :roll:

21 knots is a good number IMO, as going faster than that is not fun and you cant do much but ride straight (or jump if you have straps) :o

But a bit below 21 happens sometimes when you push it :naughty:

8) PF

zeroowl
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus 12m 6m
Flysurfer Speed 5 18m 9m
Has thanked: 0

Postby zeroowl » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:02 pm

I am in,
I enjoy some high speeds, but mostly excited of the flow and control, so bought Shinn Model P ( huge wing) to make all my carvings smooth and under total control. brings me a lot of endorphins.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Re: "Club under 21" or about the "stimulating Slow Style"

Postby revhed » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Some of the most "skill fun" we ever have had is TRYING to go as slow as possible while still keeping board off H20!
And ultra slow fully flying jibes and stance changes can sure make for a fun session.
I swear on my 900 cm2 F wing I can do all of the above at less than walking speed and even slower!
Funny that being slightly overpowered can help as you gain lift kite high in the window!
R H
Great thread!

Blackrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jeffreys Bay , South Africa
Gear: old
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Blackrat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 pm

I'm having the most fun with my 150sq" foil , slow , but so awesome to ride big swells

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:21 am

Blackrat wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 pm
I'm having the most fun with my 150sq" foil , slow , but so awesome to ride big swells
About 960 cm2 and close to a square foot.
R H

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm in love with the 2013 MHL foil under a 42" Dwarfcraft with a single front hook. It's all carving and play I want
Had a session on the Ghost Whisper 545 wing on a big lake and while enjoying the speed I had to stay aware of higher stall speed, the turns had to be faster and the shore was going away and coming back way too fast. I'm not a racer and I'm missing a better choice of medium aspect wings besides look-alike well-known basic plastic/aluminum combinations.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:11 pm

As a new foiler I have no concept of speed(seems like I'm hitting 50 kts at times lol) On my ss hoverglide riding in 13 knt winds how fast do you think I'm going? Seems like I can be foiling at silly low speeds.I'm trying to keep control and once up on foil I'll sheet out and just cruise along,at this point I just want to gain feeling for foiling.

Return to “Hydrofoil”