A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
pvb
Rare Poster
Gear: North, RRD, Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Shim Liquid Force foil

Postby pvb » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:59 am

Hello,

I want to try wake foiling and have bought the Liquid Force low aspect foil (http://liquidforcekites.com/product/foi ... t-wings-2/) and a 24'' mast. I was wondering if there is a way to shim the front and/or rear wing to make the foil more stable at the low speeds required for wake foiling? How much and which direction should front and/or rear wings be shimmed?

Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Shim Liquid Force foil

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 am

pvb wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:59 am
Hello,

I want to try wake foiling and have bought the Liquid Force low aspect foil (http://liquidforcekites.com/product/foi ... t-wings-2/) and a 24'' mast. I was wondering if there is a way to shim the front and/or rear wing to make the foil more stable at the low speeds required for wake foiling? How much and which direction should front and/or rear wings be shimmed?

Peter

The short answer is "No".

It is one of the easiest foils and can ride at extremely slow speeds and stable.

Because of the big lifting wing, it might have a tendency to seek "up" at higher speeds, so you dont wanna shim the rear stabilizer for more negative lift as then it will seek even more "up" and you have to stand further forward.
It is the classic way of making a foil "easier" for very beginners, but it does not really work to overdo it, and certainly not with big wings like yours.

The best thing for more stability, would be to lengthen the fuselage and keep the wing angles - you can seek on this forum as several has done this on their LF foil when learning, quite easy to do as it is a square pipe.

Shimming the front wing (AND the rear wing) will only change the angle of the board slightly, so if you want the board to have a different angle to the water you can do this.
BUT, IMO not good as you need to shim hugely for almost no effect - would be better to change at the plate connection to the board instead.

If one should shim I would do it reverse, shim the rear wing to lift a tad less down.
Wont make it more stable, on the contrary to some extent, but you wont get the "seeking up at higher speeds" effect as much.

My advice: Leave it as it is, dont change angles, and if you need even more stability lengthen the fuselage :D

8) PF

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Shim Liquid Force foil

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:49 pm

My advice is to make shims from a plastic HDPE milk jug and play with it. If you don't like a setting, move it or remove it. Only you will know what feels right because your weight, skill, kite, water salinity, etc. all affect hydrofoil performance.

Return to “Hydrofoil”