Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is Taaroa developing a freestyle wing?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
wingnut
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Squampton, Acadia, Jericho, Spanish Banks, Ambleside Septic farm.
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, La Ventana (Baja Sur), Uppers, Nitinat.
Style: wave freestyle strapless
Gear: North Rebels 7,9,12, Naish, Dakine, Taaroa, Airush Ultra 6,9,12,15
Brand Affiliation: Soulfoodgodwax
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is Taaroa developing a freestyle wing?

Postby wingnut » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:02 pm

Rumour has it that Taaroa may be working on developing a mid or lower aspect wing compatible with the existing Joy fuselage for the freestyle market. I for one, would love to see that as I love my Joy but would like to try more freestyle low speed maneuvers in waves . A lower aspect ratio combined with a larger surface area in the +700 sq cm range like the Alpine Wave would be my hope. Anyone else heard anything of this possibility? If not, please lend your voice to this and lets get Taaroa branching out into more of the recreational market. 8)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is Taaroa developing a freestyle wing?

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:18 pm

I dont know...

But it is an interesting dilemma, bigger than most would think.

Why ?

Because, many might start with a racefoil (sold by racers who change quite often so relatively cheap to buy).

Then some like to go fast and it is all dandy :thumb:

But a lot of these see how freeriders have fun in other ways, and then they buy the bigger freeride wing that is offered (because of this demand)

What happens next is usually that they love the bigger wing, but find out the raceboard is not very good for freeride (big and bulky/thick and flat) - so they sell the complete hydrofoil and get a complete new one aimed for freeride.

Have seen this a handful of times here :wink:

The other way around, some buying a very low AR heavy and slow low priced hydrofoil, keep this, or upgrade to something even more dedicated for advanced freeride, or change to a racefoil. The latter hardly happens though (have never seen it here), as those who want to race go straight into racefoils from the start.

So the dilemma for the race brands is, that there is a huge market for freeride also.
Many will not pay top price like racefoils are even with a freeride wing, so that cuts some off...
Some will pay, but not when it is a compromise between a racefoil board and freeride/racefoil...

Reversed, most "allround" brands got a race wing - but most will only race on the very best gear so difficult to get much market share this way.
Thus kinda the reverse, freeride brands making racewings, opposed to racebrands making freeride wings - both have difficulties (with these only) but of course most often good to be able to deliver the full variety of options :rollgrin:

Just some observations :D

8) PF

wingnut
Medium Poster

Postby wingnut » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:54 pm

Yes, exactly Peter. Around here, other than the old Carafino and some LF, the first foils to become popular were from a race heritage. What has appeared though is companies like Alpine possibly using elements from their earlier R&D to develop a wave solution that is slower to lift off and more maneuverable to offer to those that desire a front wing only change to their existing setup. I would expect that is something that Taaroa or other race foil labs would have a head start on. I would suspect that an increase in surface area and lift from the front wing would also require an area increase or AoA adjustment to the rear wing. Seems to me this is readily do-able with the software and CNC tools that they have available to them.
I think that it is not too much of a dilemma for the race brands as going slower is a lot easier than going faster. If someone already has a carbon mast and fuselage the added cost of a new front wing to explore more foiling dimensions would likely be received well. The issue IMO is more about NOT failing at it and creating a bad product and damaging the brand name and loyalty. From what small feedback I've heard on the Alpine Wave is that it has met all the criteria very well.
Taaroa, now its your turn!
8)

mar tin
Rare Poster
Gear: TAAROA sword 2
Brand Affiliation: taaroa manager

Postby mar tin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi !
Yes !! we are developing a lower aspect wing for very light wind freeride and wave !
There is also a new board, new wings , new foils !!!
All will be available early 2018 !

wingnut
Medium Poster

Postby wingnut » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:16 pm

Yay! Thanks very much for your response Martin. I look forward to getting a wave wing and expanding my enJOYment of my foil.

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Tahoe, CA
Sherman Island, CA
Gear: North, Slingshot, F-One, Naish, Taaroa, Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Yodarocket31 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:02 pm

mar tin wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:13 pm
Hi !
Yes !! we are developing a lower aspect wing for very light wind freeride and wave !
There is also a new board, new wings , new foils !!!
All will be available early 2018 !
Thanks Martin! :thumb:

Can you share any more information with us? I am using Sword2 with 57cm, but I am already deciding if I should switch to another foil which has more wing options available, like Moses, etc...

Return to “Hydrofoil”