Best kite for sub 10 knot foiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best kite for sub 10 knot foiling

Postby br44 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:05 pm

I have done quite a bit of riding on a relatively small inland lake (about 1 mile diameter), mostly in the winter (on ice). Yes the winds are not as clean, but are usually doable. The key step is launching and riding in the area with the best local winds. For example if there are trees or hills, then get away from that particular shore as best as you can, until the wind fills in. On water, this could mean launching with support from a boat or jet ski, if you have one.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:12 am

I have flow a 10m RPM in 10 knots and it's freakin' terrible. I wouldn't take that kite out under 15 knots.

Get yourself kites that stay in the air, 0 or 1 strut only.
- BRM Cloud (I start at 6 knots on my old C2 17m)
- LF Solo
- North Mono
- Airush Ultra
- Naish Boxer
- OR Flite (I know it's 3 struts but it does better than most at staying in the air)
- Flysurfer Sonic 2
- Ozone Chrono 2

Stay the hell away from Ozone R1 or the other full race kites unless you are looking for a very finicky racing setup.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby marekmk » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:30 am

also to add to the above list the Reo ozone and the Hyperlink 12m

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:01 am

You don’t mention what line lengths you are using. This is an incredibly cheap and effective upgrade. I don’t use anything bigger than an 11m kite at the moment (5 strut so it’s a bit heavy) but I use 36m lines.

Double your lines up (super thin race lines if you can) and I bet you’ll be surprised how much more bottom end you get from your kites.

It depends a bit in where you live. In Australia by the coast the humidity is low and the air is dense so it lacks a punch. In the tropics I’d need a 15-18. But at home (Perth) I ride either a 5 or 12 in all conditions these days. I have 3 bars rigged - 21,27 and 36m and I change lines before I reach for a bigger / smaller kite. I’ve owned and tried most of the obvious choices from Cloud 17s, Flysurfer speed4&5 21’s, Sonic 18s (love that kite). A lightweight 1-3 strut 12m kite on 36-40m lines is a giant killer IMO. Plus if you drop it in 3 knots it doesnt turn into a sea anchor.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:17 am

Jzh_perth wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:01 am
Double your lines up (super thin race lines if you can) and I bet you’ll be surprised how much more bottom end you get from your kites.
1-3 strut 12m kite on 36-40m lines is a giant killer IMO. Plus if you drop it in 3 knots it doesnt turn into a sea anchor.
Concur on long lines. Peter Lynn FAQ was saying "every 3 meter extensions feel like 1 sq.m added to the kite size"
You have a chance of catching wind speed gratient and initial long dove gets you on plane. I'm done riding kites bigger than 15m this way

Kitewise - 2012 Rally in excellent condition is great for foiling. 3 strut kite, lightweight, drifts great, relaunches perfectly

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:54 am

Definitely, longer lines is a must indeed.

But it stil requires a light "not normal" kite when under 10 knots, and then with longer lines you can push the limit down even further :thumb:

I use 26 m for my small kites 3.5 and 5 and up (dislike 21-22 m even for these, when hydrofoiling), and then when a 12 m2 light kite (got the Zeeko Notus Air) becomes on the low side I change up to 31 m, huge difference.

Longer and it becomes not much fun to carve and make fast transitions, and very impractical, so I personally stop there.

So having 2 bars with different line sets it is always easy to change or select, having 3 would be a hassle (eventhough I got my 21 m for waveriding, but never use it anymore for foiling).

I hardly ever use the long lines with kites under 10 m2, does not make much sense - only in rare cases where the wind is VERY up and down, it works well with say a 9 m2 - as you dont get more power with the long ones, you can just fly more power when starting and turning/carving.

Using 32 m with my 11 m2 foilkite when its 5-7 knots, and change to a 12 m2 onestrut when it hits 7 knots in 10 m height :D

But below 9-10 knots you need a light kite, no matter what - you can sometimes get away riding with a normal kite and long lines in 9 knots indeed, but because of the risk of it dropping, and the difficulty getting out in onshore winds, almost or impossible, it is not worth using these IMO if you can get a lighter one.

8) PF

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Here we go again, ive been there, and tested everything... no LEI can get you early then a foil kite. Size? 15m or more, they will start at about the same wind but the bigger the more powered you will be in that wind. How early can i start on a Foil kite compared to a LEI ? About 2 knots early, being 7knots with a LEI and 5 knots with a Foil.

The big foil kites are great, just dont drop them on the water.

"oh if its just 2 knots early its not worth it" -> is it is, because with a foil kite at 7 knots (when LEI is struggling to start) you are already cruising perfectly at speed.
Last edited by Pedro Marcos on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:28 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:12 am
I have flow a 10m RPM in 10 knots and it's freakin' terrible. I wouldn't take that kite out under 15 knots.

Get yourself kites that stay in the air, 0 or 1 strut only.
- BRM Cloud (I start at 6 knots on my old C2 17m)
- LF Solo
- North Mono
- Airush Ultra
- Naish Boxer
- OR Flite (I know it's 3 struts but it does better than most at staying in the air)
- Flysurfer Sonic 2
- Ozone Chrono 2

Stay the hell away from Ozone R1 or the other full race kites unless you are looking for a very finicky racing setup.
Agreed on the r1. But the diablo is an easy kite to fly.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:44 am

+1 large 1 strut kite

Don’t forget to add 20m extensions to your lines. Makes life much easier in the 35m+ line length area.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:42 am

Rrd emotion 17 v1... 5/6Knt start..kite stay in the air in no Wind...

Return to “Hydrofoil”