Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aftermarket/3rd party wings

Postby TomW » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:54 pm

Moses has price of 300-350 usd for carbon front wings. I think it is reasonable.

wingnut
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Squampton, Acadia, Jericho, Spanish Banks, Ambleside Septic farm.
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, La Ventana (Baja Sur), Uppers, Nitinat.
Style: wave freestyle strapless
Gear: North Rebels 7,9,12, Naish, Dakine, Taaroa, Airush Ultra 6,9,12,15
Brand Affiliation: Soulfoodgodwax
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby wingnut » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:33 pm

There are three main issues with this idea of using a wing from another manufacturer as I see it.
- Mounting - mating surfaces will not match requiring a handy guy to build an adapter. bolt patterns will not be the same therefore some filling and re-drilling would be required or the adapter plate could make the pattern shift. Strength is paramount and a wing with the wrong holes is now worthless to anyone else.
- Alignment - wing would have to have the same angle of attack (AoA) as its stock configuration especially relative to the stab. The adapter would incorporate this as well.
- Stabilizer - likely a bigger wing requires a bigger stab.
Bottom line. A lot of work with a good possibility that the combination does not work well. A third party that builds and tests their wing that has been manufactured to be compatible with a set fuselage is the best route for all.
So if you are out there listening...

Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Postby Kykeon » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:45 pm

That's an interesting business idea.
I bet that many people will be interested in a big light wind/ wave wing next their stock freeride wing.
Recalling my fluid dynamics studies, a bigger,fatter, thicker wing should be easier to get working good plus it will be stronger.
(Potentially the same wing, with different mounting interfaces and holes could fit a few fuselage designs - Zeeko, Moses, Slingshot and LF seem the most popular designs.)

From what I've read and seen, the pure material cost per unit should be less than 60$ (excluding tools, work time, prototypes etc)

I'm with Zeeko and a carver wing may be interesting in the future. It's 290Euro delivered for a g10 wing.
Considering that the build quality and design of Zeeko are very good, it will have to be a bargain with some good review to get me tempted. (less than 200)

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:44 pm

Kykeon wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:45 pm
From what I've read and seen, the pure material cost per unit should be less than 60$ (excluding tools, work time, prototypes etc)
I'm with Zeeko and a carver wing may be interesting in the future. It's 290Euro delivered for a g10 wing.
Considering that the build quality and design of Zeeko are very good, it will have to be a bargain with some good review to get me tempted. (less than 200)
I have been playing around with G10 wings a bit. I have searched far and wide and best deal I've found online for a sheet of G10 0.375" thick, 12x24" is $70 plus $30 shipping. Which means materials costs, all in, for a wing set is $130-150 cdn. (If anyone knows a cheaper option, please say so!) I imagine you can get a discount buying from China in bulk. So $60 materials for a large front wing may be about right, if using G10. Lots of time required for sanding, but if programmed into a CNC, then it would pretty quick and easy. What you're paying for: cost recovery for the time designing and testing, programming the machine, paying for the machine. And probably more than a few cutting heads, knowing how tough this G10 material is. :-)

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:25 pm

all the ones using flat mating surfaces between bottom of fuse and front wing should be within reach.
For wave/light wind, a bigger stab may not be needed.
Jim Stringfellow has had some success with his stringy foil, supplied as wings, wings+fuse, or complete foils.
It's probably not the way to guarantee the rider the absolute highest performance, and may constrain the wing design somewhat, but offers an obvious economy.
An easier way to try a light wind or surf wing than buying a $1400, 5kg takuma or gofoil....

Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Postby Kykeon » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:26 pm

My initial (rough) calculation was for carbon.
Ignored also shipping cost and VAT but even with those, the cost is still half the price I would pay. (excluding work and investment recoveries)
Although that would need a very low hourly rate to be competitive.
(The business case would definitely not fly in most countries)

faklord
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby faklord » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:20 pm

No idea what they are like, but these come out at a good price https://www.kitesyndikat.de/en/kite-sho ... front-wing

Return to “Hydrofoil”