Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What are your Worst Accidents Hydrofoiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
neptune262
Rare Poster
Style: Relaxed and fun - Wave and big air
Gear: Peter Lynn ARCs, Crazy Fly Sculp, Naish Trip, Nobile NHP TT and Skim, Litewave surfboard, Litewave Vision and Wing, Naish Hover 130 Foil, Cabrinha VMG Race board
Brand Affiliation: None - whatever works for me!
Has thanked: 0

Re: What are your Worst Accidents Hydrofoiling?

Postby neptune262 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:29 pm

Just seen a video on YouTube with a foil crash - a pretty bad scenario.

Check out Kite Crash 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBfVpRX1Ojw

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:34 pm

neptune262 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:29 pm
Just seen a video on YouTube with a foil crash - a pretty bad scenario.

Check out Kite Crash 8

It is at 1:06 :o

8) PF

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:47 am

Been pretty lucky so far for my first season (knock on wood a thousand times) considering the fact that I'm turning 59 with a full assortment of questionable joints. Couple of early session mild line-foil tangles, and a couple of early head/neck slap wipeouts using my less than ideal 9m Switchblade. Helmet and vest definitely helped.

FWIW I spent all summer on a 50cm mast (labeled at 45cm, but 50cm actual) and 10/6m Airush DNA's that my daughter happily loaned me (see, I knew there would be payback for those 4 years of college expenses! :remybussi:). My riding spot is too shallow for my 90cm and I had a 70cm mast backordered all summer (RRD H-flight). I actually got used to foiling on the 50cm to the point of getting my first heel to toe to heel downloop tranisitons on the foil in flat water, before ever graduating to my 70cm mast, which finally showed up. As much as I hated being on that short mast for so long, I think it definitely reduced the injury potential, and my flat water spot allowed me to get away with it.

Been using my 70cm mast for a couple of weeks and it was a seamless switch. Thought for sure I would get smacked around hard on my last session (gusty, choppy 9 to 20 knots) with my brand-new-to-me 9m Best Cabo (she took her kites back :cry1: ), but it was an absolute dream with all that kill switch depower (my first wave kite). Not a question of if, but when I will eventually take a hit.
Last edited by Dave K on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:27 pm

Dave K wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:47 am
FWIW I spent all summer on a 50cm mast (labeled at 45cm, but 50cm actual) and 10/6m Airush DNA's that my daughter happily loaned me (see, I knew there would be payback for those 4 years of college expenses! :remybussi:). My riding spot is too shallow for my 90cm and I had a 70cm mast backordered all summer (RRD H-flight). I actually got used to foiling on the 50cm to the point of getting my first heel to toe to heel downloop tranisitons on the foil in flat water, before ever graduating to my 70cm mast, which finally showed up. As much as a hated being on that short mast for so long, I think it definitely reduced the injury potential, and my flat water spot allowed me to get away with it.
Short Mast makes it alot easier/safer I have the liquid force 60cm masts and have only had one semi hard crash. Most of the time I dont even crash if I breach, just touch down. I also think foothooks help a lot.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:59 pm

Out of control flying jibe attempt in 20kts with 7m kite, big foil, and no way near the experience to try that. Kookslammed!
Jibe turned into accidental jump straight downwind, bounce off board, kite inverted in the air to death loops, hit water head down, minor whiplash from being dragged underwater by looping kite...
...counting my blessings.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:00 am

** Tearing up the passenger side sun visor trying to make it fit in the car ** :jump:

cosmo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby cosmo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:24 pm

broken rib in water landing...

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:31 am

learning right jibes on a Vorace 540..Hight aspect 11m kite on 22m lines 15 knots.Lost control while downdooping,foil goes into lines ,me stucked on the foil i releashed AT ONCE...sliced on my left leg like a jamon from back of the knee until achilles tenton...ONE month to full recovery from the cuts
Attachments
21706129_10155600463391698_114731568_o.jpg
Last edited by nikalaitzian on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 pm

nikalaitzian wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:31 am
learning right jibes on a Vorace 540..Hight aspect 11m kite on 22m lines 15 knots.Lost control while downdooping,foil goes into lines ,me stucked on the foil i releashed AT ONCE...sliced on my left leg like a hamon from back of the knee until achilles tenton...ONE month to full recovery from the cuts
Were you just wearing shorts at the time or did it also slice through your wet suit?

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:57 pm

UKSurf wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 pm
nikalaitzian wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:31 am
learning right jibes on a Vorace 540..Hight aspect 11m kite on 22m lines 15 knots.Lost control while downdooping,foil goes into lines ,me stucked on the foil i releashed AT ONCE...sliced on my left leg like a jamon from back of the knee until achilles tenton...ONE month to full recovery from the cuts
Were you just wearing shorts at the time or did it also slice through your wet suit?
shorts .... summer 35celc ,25celc water

Return to “Hydrofoil”