Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: foot hook warrenty

Postby Eltreato » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:28 pm

I rode my first day with a front foot hook the other day and I can tell it's just a matter of time before it breaks, super flimsy. I'll probably ride the hooks til they break then go back to a loose foot strap, until I can ditch it entirely and go strapless. I would definitely prefer a more durable hook over a footstrap even with the added risk it may pose vs one that just breaks.

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:02 pm

neilhapgood wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:53 pm
So slingshot have refunded the broken foot hook which is great, however the UK distributor are no longer bringing them in due to such a high warrenty rate.

I am therefore keen to make some myself, I really like the look of the examples above however if I wanted to make some similar to the slingshot ones, and then use the original slingshot neoprene sleeve over the top, is it simply a case of getting some 6mm perspex or acrylic, heating with a heat gun and bending accordingly?

Sorry I know this site is for kiteboarding and not materials engineering but thought I would ask on the of chance anyone can help!

Thanks all
I don't think acrylic is the right material. I think it's too brittle. People have been using either plastic cutting boards or pvc pipe.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby marekmk » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:02 pm

Two broken foot hooks. students grab them in the first few hours of learning and use them to haul the board around in the water. Now specific instructions not to do that and after 21 students no issues with breaks. Saw a broken one,a heavy landing after a mega jump went wrong. NSI great company to deal with!!

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:10 pm

Broke my foot hook after only 3 sessions.I only run one on the front.Got it cheap from a friend so warranty is out for me.One positive was I learned how to waterstart strapless! Might try the webbing setup that someone mentioned,then I can move my front foot around.

neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:05 pm

Much to my surprise as I am not a particularly good diy'er I managed to make some more foothooks. Bought a cheap heat gun off amazon and some 6mm Perspex off eBay, just cut the Perspex to size, you can measure the length of the original using a bit of string to take in the curves, then heat up and bend away, I used a metal water bottle to help get a consistent curve, I also taped on some foam camping mat to make it comfy, then drill holes and put the original slingshot sleeve over the top. I can't tell the difference between my one and the original one, made a few spares to keep in the van too.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:10 pm

neilhapgood wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:05 pm
Much to my surprise as I am not a particularly good diy'er I managed to make some more foothooks. Bought a cheap heat gun off amazon and some 6mm Perspex off eBay, just cut the Perspex to size, you can measure the length of the original using a bit of string to take in the curves, then heat up and bend away, I used a metal water bottle to help get a consistent curve, I also taped on some foam camping mat to make it comfy, then drill holes and put the original slingshot sleeve over the top. I can't tell the difference between my one and the original one, made a few spares to keep in the van too.
:thumb:
R H

Return to “Hydrofoil”