OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8
Brand Affiliation: None

SUP Foil Wing

Postby atomic-chomik » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:56 am

So i picked up some 1 inch Divinycell and was dreaming up an approachable and functional wing to shape. My first thought is similar to a Stringy wing, with a bit lower aspect ratio(deeper profile). Any thoughts on this? Putting in anhedral i believe is beyond my skill-set(unless there are solid suggestions out there).

I have access to kevlar cloth(any one work with it?) and carbon fiber. As well, i have access to vacuum bag setup so all good there.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: SUP Foil Wing

Postby BWD » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:22 am

I am pretty sure d-cell is not hard to thermoform but mainly heard of it done with 1/2 to 3/4" thicknesses.
Probably you would be ok to make an arched mold of thin plywood or something and heat foam in an oven if you have a big oven. Would take a while due to thickness. Then bend it over your mold, secure and let cool. Maybe if oven is small you could use say a 12" or so square of foam, then once molded to anhedral, saw it into two 6x12 pieces with matching curve you could glue together for a 6x24" ish span wing. Could even glue together with a block of g10, hardwood etc in center for extra strength at attachment point.

To laminate, vacuuming bagging with carbon would certainly be good. Wouldn't hurt to have an outer layer or 2 of glass against scratches etc I think. Not a whole lot of carbon needed to take the regular loads but if you hit something or it is thin and gets scratched heavily it could fail.

Best wishes with it!

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:06 am

BWD thanks man. Have any suggestions as to what heat and for how long the foam should go in the cooker for? I figure it would be after its shaped so there is room. Im thinking a 26 inch wide wing should suffice.

Mikey
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Northern Adriatic
East coast Australia
Favorite Beaches: One I can kite at (and my gear is with me)
Style: very unstylish!
Gear: PL twinskins / BRM Cloud2 17, D_1 13, D10
Home made boards (TTs, Low volume Kipuna style & 6'22 Simons style)

Postby Mikey » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Is dihedral needed. Zeeko seems to do ok with flat wings (carver & spitfire)?

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:49 pm

atomic-chomik wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:56 am
I have access to kevlar cloth(any one work with it?) and carbon fiber. As well, i have access to vacuum bag setup so all good there.
Carbon fiber is stiffer than kevlar. Also, when kevlar fibers get wet, they begin to lose some of their strength. Probably not a problem since they would be fully encapsulated in resin. The best foils are carbon for a reason. I have heard of kevlar being used from time to time, but it seems like a mistake. I think carbon is definitely better for hydrofoil construction than kevlar.

Anhedral (or is it dihedral, I'm always confused. wingtips curved down) lets you roll a bit further before the wingtip breaches the surface. When the wingtip does breach the surface tough, the curved wing will have more of a loss of lift than a flat wing. It also gives some stability in yaw and roll.

Most SUP foils have 60-70 cm struts. If you're going to make a 26 inch (66 cm) wide flat wing, it seems like that would limit your carving ability with no downward curve or angle to the wingtips.

Looking at others who I'm sure have tried many iterations of design, Takuma, gofoil, and slingshot sup foils all have curved wings.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:35 pm

What density of Divinycell? forget using kevlar. Use carbon.
I'd shape the wing without anhedral then try to heat the foam and bend it over a simple jig and let it cool.
Or, put some blocks under tips, screw center down with small wood screws, laminate the bottom . Let it cure a few days, then cut off/grind off screwheads. Laminate will be in tension and hold shape. Might spring back a little.
You need to do some experimenting, Divinycell can break when bent.

Return to “Hydrofoil”