Pocket board width

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
jaros
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Pocket board width

Postby jaros » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:27 am

Hi,
What is the width of your pocket board (100 to 130 in length)?
They all seem pretty wide to me. I am using a board 38cm wide, and can not imagine why more width would do any good. When you are up, you must be more or less centered right? I understand if it is for better start from the water, but the pocket dimension is not really ment as a light wind solution.... So what am i missing here?
Greetings,
Jaros

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: Pocket board width

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:10 am

Extra width gives you more room for foot switches I would have thought.

I have seen a video of someone using just the shinn carbon stiffener as a board (the mount plate that fits onto the stubbo/shinnster) and that's about as wide as his feet.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:23 pm

nothing2seehere wrote: Extra width gives you more room for foot switches I would have thought.

I have seen a video of someone using just the shinn carbon stiffener as a board (the mount plate that fits onto the stubbo/shinnster) and that's about as wide as his feet.
:o oh that's small lol, I have the shinn el stubbo that plate is tiny!

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 pm

jaros wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:27 am
They all seem pretty wide to me. I am using a board 38cm wide, and can not imagine why more width would do any good. ..
Hi jaros,
there are also 163 x 47 cm, which are called "pocket boards" :wink: I also have no idea, why you don't find real nice pocket boards. This one in the picture is 95 x 38 cm but the upper stance area of front and back foot (in front of strap) is less than 33 cm and absolutely no need to have more, never stepped just close to the rails and with a big wing also such a boards starts in no wind.

As there are no real pocket boards to buy I have to do the next one my self, will be 88 x 33 cm :D with an up to 48 cm long detachable and adjustable nose, depending on riding speed.

I think apart from race boards and some freestyle boards as for example the one from ketos,
many boards are still designed like old no foiling or hybrid boards, even if they have no fin option :roll: . Konvex decks, narrow flat noses, long tails, normal rails and many other details are IMHO remains from the old world and have nothing to do with well shaped real foil boards.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:23 am

jeromeL wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:23 pm
nothing2seehere wrote: Extra width gives you more room for foot switches I would have thought.

:o oh that's small lol, I have the shinn el stubbo that plate is tiny!
Yes. I think its only 20cm wide. If you search for 'Skatefoil experiment' you can find details on his facebook page. Looks like the videos have been deleted from you tube though. Shame as the skill in the foot switch for the foiling gybes was eye-opening

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:17 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 pm

many boards are still designed like old no foiling or hybrid boards, even if they have no fin option :roll: . Konvex decks, narrow flat noses, long tails, normal rails and many other details are IMHO remains from the old world and have nothing to do with well shaped real foil boards.

hi Horst . . . would you give a few details of your board . . . thickness, rocker . . . ?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:11 am

I find wide pocket boards are awesome, when windy that is (10 knots and up) :naughty:

Of course the width helps when you start and in transitions if you drop down - but that was not the question here as we talk full flight only.

I use the full width of mine - just found 4 kitecam shots to illustrate.

So no, you are not centered, far from in fact.

On a surfboard you will be centered, to be able to use your weight with both feet edging both ways, yes.
Not on a hydrofoil that does not turn the same way at all, no edge pressure - so stance is mostly personal preference I would think (strapless)

I stand quite open - way more comfortable and more room for turning, both when riding heel and toeside.
Sometimes I might stand fully centered too yes, but mostly open.

Two boards here, the Ketos Pocket 118 x 46 and 130 x 48 cm
Both more narrow at the rear where it is not needed, but at the front foot I think many of us like the open stance (apart from if open straps it has to be wide).

I think this is some reasons why they are so wide Jaros, and not as narrow as possible :D

118 x 46 and wavewing

1.jpg
2.jpg

130 x 48 and XL wavewing

3.jpg
4.jpg

So I dont stand centered, maybe others do I dont know...

8) PF

PS: There is a thread about travel pocket boards, but we never got an answer what narrow and wide is according to the OP ? viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2397766

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Peter,
Yes, the Ketos board is for sure one that I would like to try someday...
I have ridden a few hydrofoil specific boards (Alpine, Moses, Temavento), but I find all of them to bulky - too wide and too thick. Maybe I am just used to ride a (too) narrow board...
Greetings,
Jaros

Return to “Hydrofoil”