cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Power.

Postby cglazier » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:30 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:19 pm
I originally was riding small kites, but now I ride the same size as others on twintip. ..
Absolutely. As you progress in foiling you can learn to enjoy more power. This allows you to go faster, jump higher, point upwind better, point downwind farther, do tacks and jibes easier and generally rip past other kiteboarders with ease. I am much happier with power in my kite.

This doesn't mean that I ride aggressivley all the time, I can easily reduce my power by sheeting out, pointing high upwind or going deep downwind.

:wink: CG

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:40 am

The feeling of super efficiency, milking the smallest amount of energy out of the wind is quite exciting, but when chasing that low end, I found out that I'm struggling more riding toeside, where I find it harder to load the foil and stay up than when riding on my heelside. So for that, a bit more juice helps to even it out. And I think over time, I've acquired a bit more confidence and control in handling a bit more power. So now that I've added a 12m Enduro to my 9, I tend to happily use the 12 in the 10-15kts range where I was riding the 9. Allows less effort and it's still very smooth.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 am

cglazier wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:30 pm
davesails7 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:19 pm
I originally was riding small kites, but now I ride the same size as others on twintip. ..
Absolutely. As you progress in foiling you can learn to enjoy more power. This allows you to go faster, jump higher, point upwind better, point downwind farther, do tacks and jibes easier and generally rip past other kiteboarders with ease. I am much happier with power in my kite.

This doesn't mean that I ride aggressivley all the time, I can easily reduce my power by sheeting out, pointing high upwind or going deep downwind.

:wink: CG
Yeah man. That's how I feeling. I guess too I like to be powered on the TT so it makes sense that I like power on the foil too.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:37 am

I'm still a relative noob (about 1.5 years of foiling), but I still like riding with low power. It is still really fun to loop my 7m anywhere in the window at 13 knots.

That said, I'm working on learning tacks to toeside (or, if you prefer, upwind 180s) and, at least for now, it is much easier with a bigger kite because it gives a little more power when powering up the bar to cut across the wind.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:00 pm

With the ability to backsheet foil kites, it makes it a lot easier to ride overpowered versus a tube kite. This is where I get so frustrated with those that only fly tube kites and want to get into this conversation about being powered or not, it's so totally different, especially when you add the variable of a foil.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:38 pm

I went out overpowered on my 7m kite. We were supposed to race 6km across the sound, but when I tried to take the course to the mark, it was broad reach and I was keeping kite low doing "speed of light" across a 1m windswell and breaching, or keeping kite high and getting lifted off the board by the kite and breaching.

I gave up, chickened out, didn't want to get out in the shipping lane without control. My skills and cajones not ready.

If I would have been ok on a push windward or down wind

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:03 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:38 pm
I went out overpowered on my 7m kite. We were supposed to race 6km across the sound, but when I tried to take the course to the mark, it was broad reach and I was keeping kite low doing "speed of light" across a 1m windswell and breaching, or keeping kite high and getting lifted off the board by the kite and breaching.

I gave up, chickened out, didn't want to get out in the shipping lane without control. My skills and cajones not ready.

If I would have been ok on a push windward or down wind
How much wind is overpowered on a 7m kite? I've been out in 30kts+ on a 7 and felt under powered...

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:23 pm

plummet wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:24 am
So. I've done the peter Frank stupid small kite hydrofoiling for a while. Now I hunger for speed and power.

Whose else is wanting to grunt up the hf and ride powered.

Im with you. Now i like to ride powered foiling. 12m foil kite up to 20 knots.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:15 am

Mossy,

I was a bit confounded too. 22-25 knots. It's a North Mono 7, and others were on slow LF foils and 9m dice and a 9 Best Roca I think. They managed, but have a little more HF skill than me, but not much more. I think HF they have- the old Lf, one of them with bent fuselage, compensated. Another foiler was on a Alpine with element wing (?) and 7m Storm Voyager,doing OK, crashing a bit, but he's 20kg heavier than me.
Other guys my size of 78kg.
I think it's combination of low skills, relatively powerful 7m kite, and pretty fast efficient foil.

Leaving for NE Brazil in an hour and have my surfboard, HF gear + 5,7,9,12 kites.
The 5 is a new-used Ozone Reo. Come spring, L'm probably going to replace my 7-9 with a Reo as I find used ones. The Mono 12 I'm very happy with.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Has thanked: 0

Postby lovethepirk » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:26 am

Rode the 12m switchblade in 22knots today on the Delta race foil in some weird chop was intense. Fun as f*** to control that power tho and boost. I fucking love that feeling when you are so overpowered going downwind fully sheeted out in total control high above the water....then you decide to carve into the wind and you go from 15knots to 30 knots speed immediately!

First time I was overpowered on the foil I was on a 14m NRG in 22knots and had no idea how to handle the power and the kite got real low...holy shit was that a fearful experience. Never let that kite get low overpowered!

Return to “Hydrofoil”