Re: Power.

Postby plummet » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:40 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:54 pm
plummet wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:25 am
tautologies wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:07 am

This is why I quit foiling about 5 years ago. I think the newer ones you can ride powered? right?
What I've learnt is that rear wing aoa greatly affects how you can control overpowered speed runs. Too much aoa means that you are stomping down on the front and when over powered you eventually get driven out of the water and face plant. I've backed my aoa off and can at any point push the nose down, carve hard down or upwind like a tt and kill power. As I have quite a scoop on the nose of my pocket board I can also force a nose touch down which acts like a brake and kills speed.

I'm also finding as I get more comfortable with speed overpowered becomes less of an issue as I simply carve around at speed to cull speed.
I'm down in Brazil and have had a few good sessions on flatwater and out in the waves. Yesterday I was perfectly powered on a 9 and Moses Fluente 550/330 wings on the ocean side. The swells are organized and moderate chop. It was fantastic session, my best ever. Linking some heel to toeside and toeside to heelside turns while flying.

I'm having similar feeling, charging downwind with swell at 45 degree angle, 35-40km/hr. I'm having to focus a lot on keeping foil down, and bearing upwind at speed from downwind course is scary as kite is lifting, foil is lifting.
Plummet, should I lift the leading edge or trailing edge of the stabilizer?
I bought a digital angle meter but it took 2 months to get it, arrived too late to measure before leaving for Brazil.
Lift the leading edge of the stabilizer or drop the trailing edge. Try 0.5 degree and test. Note that less aoa will reduce stability ,increase stall speed and manuvourability. It makes for better wave riding in my opinion. But at the same time makes any foiling footwork a lot harder as the board is more sensitive to change. Find the happy medium between speed control , wave riding and board stability and you will be winning.

I've gone for less aoa. It's making my foiling footwork progression a lot harder, but I will stick it out because I prefer the more responsive board, better wave riding and better speed control.

Return to “Hydrofoil”