Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shinn P Foil Mast - Compatibility with other brands

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
emmandkev
Medium Poster

Shinn P Foil Mast - Compatibility with other brands

Postby emmandkev » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:13 am

I'm new to foiling and yet to actually take to the water

Background: have purchased P foil and 90cm mast. However, my friend's recent experience tells me that I should have gone for the 60cm mast. I live in the Cayman Islands and the water is not very deep where we kite. It's also nigh on impossible to find anyone this side of the pond who deals with Shinn products.
Question: are the masts from Naish, Liquid Force and Slingshot compatible with the P foil? I can get a short mast from these brands very easily, but it needs to pair up with my P foil fuselage and board mount (I have a Shinn Jackson).

All advice welcomed

Thanks

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Shinn P Foil Mast - Compatibility with other brands

Postby cglazier » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:36 am

I cannot answer your question positively but I would be very surprised if you found any compatability with any other brand. Each brand has its own shapes and hole patterns.

You should consider cutting down the mast you have. Anyone good at metalwork should be able to cut an aluminum mast and tap new threads for the bolts. Of course you will be left with a short mast that doesn't have much value except to you.

When I foiled in the Cayman Islands I had no trouble with my full length mast.. you just have to choose where you go. And if you are in the wrong place, having a 30 cm shorter mast may not help.

CG :wink:

Shinnworld2
Rare Poster
Local Beach: El Cabezo, Tenerife
Gear: Shinn, Blade, Da Kine,
Brand Affiliation: Owner Shinn Kiteboards
Has thanked: 0

Postby Shinnworld2 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:37 am

Hi,
Please send me a mail to mark@shinnworld.com and I will do my best to help
Regards
Mark

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:46 pm

cglazier wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:36 am
I cannot answer your question positively but I would be very surprised if you found any compatability with any other brand. Each brand has its own shapes and hole patterns.

You should consider cutting down the mast you have. Anyone good at metalwork should be able to cut an aluminum mast and tap new threads for the bolts. Of course you will be left with a short mast that doesn't have much value except to you.

When I foiled in the Cayman Islands I had no trouble with my full length mast.. you just have to choose where you go. And if you are in the wrong place, having a 30 cm shorter mast may not help.

CG :wink:
CG, where to foil on the caymans?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster

Postby cglazier » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:41 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:46 pm
CG, where to foil on the caymans?
Hi Tom
I had several days at Barkers (northwest area). It is a popular kiteboarding spot. I recall that Toby was there doing his massive jumps. :D
I had one nice session launching from Starfish Point (north middle area).
I had a couple of nice days on the east coast.. there is a private kiteboarding beach there with a kite school.. it is a few hundred yards south of the big Wyndham and Morritts Resorts.

This was several years ago. I went with friends for a big international kite race where the worlds best were all on big old formula raceboards. I decided to not compete and so I abandoned my raceboard and just hydrofoiled. Within a year every kite racer did the same. :lol:

:wink: CG

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:16 am

Hej CG,

How's the foiling behind the reef on the east end by the Wyndham? Is it deep enough, looks magical.
I mean inside the reef

Thanks for tips

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster

Postby cglazier » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:11 am

I recall that there was a nice large area inside the reef near the Wyndham Resort.
Great for foiling.

:wink: CG

emmandkev
Medium Poster

Postby emmandkev » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Big shout out to Mark Shinn for his help.

I've been living on Grand Cayman for the best part of 8 years and I'd say that i know the waters around here pretty well now. I have no doubt that in a few weeks time the 90cm mast will be the weapon of choice. The problem is getting past the first few weeks with my new foil in one piece, a concern that based upon my pal's experience last Saturday.

Although I'm going to take lessons as soon as the official season begins and Jhon is open for business, until then I'm on my own and as a beginner foil boarder I have to accept that I'm going to have to start at the very beginning of the curve and that I'm going to crash a lot

Reading as much as i can I've picked up on the advice that the aim of the first few sessions is to keep the board on the water and not to fly... and that is what Tom was trying to do last Saturday. However, even though he was in 'deep' water he found that with 90cm under his board he was hitting coral heads and occasionally the bottom. Tom's opted for Naish kit and is getting a short 60cm mast when he goes over to Miami this weekend.

Shipping stuff to Cayman is time consuming & expensive. I'm going to Washington DC for a week this Sunday and had been hoping to source a 60cm mast that I could ship to my hotel and bring back with me. Unfortunately, whilst all the major brands are represented in the US, I cannot find anyone who stocks Shinn. There is an outlet in Canada but they don't appear to stock the masts separately from the foil.

So that's why I started wondering if I can use a short mast from one of the other brands, because I can easily get my mits on one of those.

But Mark has stepped up to the plate and all is now sorted. A 60cm mast is on its way to my hotel. Thank you Mark and the guys at Shinn World.

With ref to some of the other questions:

East End: the 'private spot' is now run by White Sands and they've opened it up to all kiters. It's a great spot. Obviously I haven't foiled there, but i know Brandon Bowe and he's done loads of foiling there. In the middle the water is deep enough, but don't be tempted to go all the way out to the reef - it get's very shallow. Take note of where White Sands teach - they'll be way off shore but standing in 6" - 8" of water. There's some good wave action at the East End, but take advice on where to head out through the reef before you do - there's some wicked currents

Barkers: shallow in shore but plenty of room out towards the reef. be warned through (as hinted above) there are coral heads dotted all over the place and it never really gets that deep - one time my kite blew out when I was riding by the reef. I body dragged for 50m and the walked the rest of the way in. Re booties - there are places where there's some spiky stuff on the sea bed, but I never wear booties and I've never (touch wood) had a serious issue.

South Sound: kiteable with winds out of the south - very shallow in shore and lots of coral heads out by the reef. In the middle pretty deep and sandy.

Rum Point & Starfish - wind tends to be offshore so we only kite from there if we're doing a downwinder back to Barkers. There's now a ferry that will take you over from Camana Bay. You'll have to sort your own way back from barkers through :-)

Seven Mile Beach - don't even attempt to kite in anything other than an on/cross on breeze - anything goes wrong and next stop is Mexico (there is no reef) - plus the wind shadows from the large hotels and condos can really affect you. It's rare we get to kite SMB, but when we do it's epic.

There are other spots - but you'll have to seek me out for information on those :-)

Aloha

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Shinnworld2 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:37 am
Hi,
Please send me a mail to mark@shinnworld.com and I will do my best to help
Regards
Mark
Well you can’t get better than help from the man himself. I recently bought a Jackson and P-Foil and I’m delighted. I asked a lot of people and there was a consistent answer for beginners like me. Have to say the UK distributor Mike at KTwo was super helpful as well. Worry free service. I don’t work in the industry. I’m just a bloke who gives a shout out when people have been really helpful.

Return to “Hydrofoil”