Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tried for the first time a race board ... not happy!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Tried for the first time a race board ... not happy!

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:37 pm

So today i got my second hand Moses Comet 2017 Raceboard, im very happy that i didnt wait for a even smaller and more expensive 2018 model, because this board is REALLY hard when comparing to my T40 board.

Here is why, and if someone more experienced have some hints, they are welcome:

- The fact that the bottom of the board its only flat on a very small area makes the board behave in a very weird way when on the water, it seems that the board just want to go in the current/wave/chop direction making it much harder to handle when compared to a flat board.

- Stance: This race boards come with a really wide stance, so wide, that with the front foot on the strap and the back foot out of the strap the balance its not good, this boards are made to be on the straps and the time, it takes time to get used to such a wide stand.

- Dimensions: I thought that being smaller it would be easier to do foil jibes and tacks, but its not, it seems the board its much more sensitive to foot inputs and goes out of balance much easier.

- Strong points: Weight, i love how light it feels! Going upwind and going fast, it seems the wider stance gives more confidence to go fast but feels weird going slow, and the shape of the board makes the upwind with angled foil a piece of cake.

I dont think its possible to "freeride/freestyle" with this board, or at least it makes things alot harder at my first impression.

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed

Re: Tried for the first time a race board ... not happy!

Postby Flag53 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Thanks for the info, I had considered this board my self but probably won't bother now as I'm mostly free riding 👍

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:28 pm

I don’t like them either. I find the wide stance really tiring and uncomfortable

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:50 pm

I just changed the setup to the minimum stance possible, which is still more then the biggest i can get on the older board and will try again from there.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:46 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:50 pm
I just changed the setup to the minimum stance possible, which is still more then the biggest i can get on the older board and will try again from there.
What were you seeking in picking it up? I think the T60 is a move race oriented shape with good sized bevels and a tapered ass, but surface rides quite nicely.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:33 am

cwood wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:46 am
Pedro Marcos wrote:
What were you seeking in picking it up? I think the T60 is a move race oriented shape with good sized bevels and a tapered ass, but surface rides quite nicely.
The t60 its too close to the t40, i Just didnt expect the comet to be such a challenge

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:11 am

And what IS the stance width, most narrow and widest on the Comet Pedro ?

Center strap to center strap that is - just to have an idea what you are talking about, as it is very individual.

I ride 65 cm, not wide nor narrow stance, most often, but am only 175 cm tall.
Others like TahoeDirk prefer 70-75 cm, and some only ride in narrow stance.

8) PF

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:33 am
cwood wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:46 am
Pedro Marcos wrote:
The t60 its too close to the t40, i Just didnt expect the comet to be such a challenge
I have owned both. I find them quite different.....very surprisingly so. I ask because I have a free ride friend who wanted the lightest possible board (for boosting) and went to an all out race board.....very narrow, virtually nil flat on the bottom.....almost un-ridable on the surface of the water. I would say the lightest and most sporty and versatile I have tried was the T40 carbon....but no longer offered.

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:37 pm
- The fact that the bottom of the board its only flat on a very small area makes the board behave in a very weird way when on the water, it seems that the board just want to go in the current/wave/chop direction making it much harder to handle when compared to a flat board.
I have one of older vintage I don't like for that very feature.
- Stance: This race boards come with a really wide stance, so wide, that with the front foot on the strap and the back foot out of the strap the balance its not good, this boards are made to be on the straps and the time, it takes time to get used to such a wide stand.
Indeed, when racing, pushing for the highest speed using tons of power in the kite, wide stance is a big plus. Freeriding with small kite that kind of stance can be uncomfortable unless you ride very aggressively.
- Dimensions: I thought that being smaller it would be easier to do foil jibes and tacks, but its not, it seems the board its much more sensitive to foot inputs and goes out of balance much easier.
Are you talking about foiling jibes/tacks or touch-down ones? Small size is not a problem as long as the shape is right for you. I think you'd like a board like Levitaz Exo. Although only 43cm wide, flat bottom is full width so it feels very stable. It is also quite light. Due to its 125cm length it may be challenging at first doing touch-down jibes in choppy water.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:11 am
And what IS the stance width, most narrow and widest on the Comet Pedro ?

Center strap to center strap that is - just to have an idea what you are talking about, as it is very individual.

I ride 65 cm, not wide nor narrow stance, most often, but am only 175 cm tall.
Others like TahoeDirk prefer 70-75 cm, and some only ride in narrow stance.

8) PF
Center to center of straps: Widest is about 77cm and narrower about 66cm.

I tried with 77cm and was very weird, now its with around 68cm but didnt try yet.
Last edited by Pedro Marcos on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”