Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Re: A caes for full face?

Postby cwood » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:33 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:45 am
mikesids wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:04 am
Easy - Ozone Nutshell paragliding helmet with optional chinguard. Pretty much exactly the answer for your issue I would have thought?

Ozone helmet.jpeg
Says on the Ozone website that its not designed for water use though.
Telling you guys....a full face shield in the water is nothing but a major annoyance. Unless perfectly clean, no scratches (impossible) and temperature then it will just drive you nuts. A cage one would be the only viable way IMO

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby UKSurf » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:58 pm

cwood wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:33 am
nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:45 am
mikesids wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:04 am
Easy - Ozone Nutshell paragliding helmet with optional chinguard. Pretty much exactly the answer for your issue I would have thought?

Ozone helmet.jpeg
Says on the Ozone website that its not designed for water use though.
Telling you guys....a full face shield in the water is nothing but a major annoyance. Unless perfectly clean, no scratches (impossible) and temperature then it will just drive you nuts. A cage one would be the only viable way IMO
I have been using the ice hockey cage helmet while learning to hydrofoil and it doesnt seem much different from a gath helmet to be honest. I have had some pretty hard crashes with it and no problems. Saved me from a smash in the face a couple of times too.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:23 pm

UKSurf wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:58 pm
A cage one would be the only viable way IMO
I have been using the ice hockey cage helmet while learning to hydrofoil and it doesnt seem much different from a gath helmet to be honest. I have had some pretty hard crashes with it and no problems.
Saved me from a smash in the face a couple of times too.
[/quote]
:thumb: :idea: :D
I only wonder how long they will stand up to salt H20?
I also have seen ice hockey helmets with minimal bars that look like they will do the trick.
Might start looking into downhill mountain bike ones with cage as well!
R H
Saw my good hurt friend again today, we have MANY, MANY, started KBHF 2009 and other boards 2000, great sessions between us and he sure wishes he would have had a "cage" so as not to endure
the shit he is in now, EVEN IF a FREAK RANDOM ACCIDENT!

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:50 pm

revhed wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:23 pm
I only wonder how long they will stand up to salt H20?
I also have seen ice hockey helmets with minimal bars that look like they will do the trick.
Might start looking into downhill mountain bike ones with cage as well!
R H
Saw my good hurt friend again today, we have MANY, MANY, started KBHF 2009 and other boards 2000, great sessions between us and he sure wishes he would have had a "cage" so as not to endure
the shit he is in now, EVEN IF a FREAK RANDOM ACCIDENT!
They do rust a bit but they are cheap with lots of second hand ones on ebay - I paid about 10 Euros. I would say it would last a couple of seasons and are water proof with a rubber padding - I guess because there is water from the Ice in Hockey. Although the probability is low there are the risk of major wipeouts with hydrofoiling and getting your face smashed is a risk you dont wear something with protection.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 pm

I have only been foilsurfing for 4 months now, and twice I have taken a bar into the cheek bone, the north rubber end on the left side of my click bar helped a bit but I was left with red indents that lasted for 4 days, it became a bit of a pain as everyone kept looking and asked if I had been fighting with the wife.
I noticed a few days ago that Decathlon have just got in all there snow boarding gear and they have hundreds of smart looking helmets many with half visors that look quality, but none with cage fronts, I have been using a non water use snow boarding helmet on and off for 5 years or more, the water has had no adverse effect but the helmet is a quite pricey type around £120 uk pounds, the speed of my foil crashes is starting to worry me as I am now getting some serious speed especially when a swell is running and pushing me into high scary death runs.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:54 pm

Foil wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 pm
Decathlon but none with cage fronts,
Hockey :thumb:
https://www.decathlon.fr/casque-hockey- ... 93731.html
R H
Here in France a site called "BON COIN" a used for sale like ebay, found SO many helmets with face cage for next to nothing just need to verify size!

Texaskiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Texas City
Galveston
Favorite Beaches: North Shore, Oahu, Hawaii
Playa del Carmen
Style: Freeride, surf, hydrofoil, airstyle
Gear: Core, Ozone, Moses,

Re: A case for full face?

Postby Texaskiter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:24 am

I agree that this was a freak accident. I think hanging all that protection off the front of the helmet increases the risk of neck injury. Sometimes it is just your time. Bummer and I hope he has a nice recovery.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:59 am

Guys, white water kayaking helmet is one answer. Pros huck big water falls wearing those and might hit their face to hull of kayak, carbon paddle shaft or rocky sides or bottom. From height of biggest kite jumps and over with freefall (2s+) would accelerate you to highest kbhf speeds over 70km/h.

Check for example Sweet Protection Rocker FF (full face). The link below shows other FF-options as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Protection ... B01BKY3CIQ

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Postby RagingGrandpa » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:30 pm

Collecting full-face helmet references... shopping for myself, after my foilboard recently chased me down and ran me over, leading to an ER visit. It could have easily knocked out teeth.
RickI wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:57 pm
zgur wrote:Does any manufacturer make a helmet with a face mask to protect the face? Back in windsurfing days, there were a few helmets with hockey like face guards to protect from the boom.....wondering if anyone knows of any water helmets with a face protection.
Yes, there have been some put together for the kayak market. I would look over the following article first and think about possible kiting variations and cervical involvment. I have no real experience or familiarity with face guards in kiting applications. Still frontal impacts and facial damage do occur in kiting impacts.

A few kayak models include:
Predator:

Alpine race helmets with chin guards seem appealing for closing the chin without adding much water drag, but I'm still concerned with the huge exposed area leaving opportunity for the board to strike my mouth.

You could add such a chin guard to just about any open-face helmet, a cheap and practical option... but perhaps with limited benefit.

A baseball face guard would offer better coverage, as an add-on to a water helmet. Could get heavy pretty fast though... would need to choose carefully.

Cricket face guards seem like the best option I've seen so far, regarding add-on face coverage. Titanium available for weight savings also.

So then the task is to pick a good open-face helmet:

$20 ebay helmet
Da Yoda wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:05 pm
unclebill wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:25 pm
They say its CE certified conforms to EN1385 2005. This helmet looks identical to NP helmet which also claims the same certification and as pointed out, EVA lining
It's the same helmet as NP's! The dead giveaways are the vent pattern, the unique pattern on the ear covers including the hearing holes, and the "twist tightening system"/"ratchet wheel".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Sports-Sa ... 3074300716
http://www.npsurf.com/products/protecti ... l#color=C1
I know of many brands that source from the same suppliers. NP is also a Pryde Group brand which is HQ'ed in HK, China, so they may have relations with the same factory.
Gath Surf Convertible
OzBungy wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:03 am
Just thought I would give an update on this. Using the "least worst" NP Surf helmet I was still getting neck pain from crashes, and deafening wind noise on strong wind days. It has found it's way to the back of the cupboard.

I am now wearing a Gath Surf Convertible with a neoprene hood underneath. The bucket effect is minor compared to other helmets.

The provided ear covers really amplify the wind noise. I got around that by removing them. It's winter here and I have some surfers ear to deal with. A neoprene hood worn under the helmet protects my ears and reduces wind noise considerably. It's also a fair bit warmer.

So now, the Gath Surf Convertible is the "least, least worst" helmet. I am pretty satisfied with it. I look like a dick, but removing the helmet won't improve that much.

I know the Gath is not certified in any way, but the certified helmets are all grossly not suited for kiteboarding, and greatly amplify the more likely sources of injury.
Sweet:
The "Strutter" (open-face) has a huge visor, no bueno.

The "Rocker" model looks reasonable if the visor is removed:
joriws wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:26 pm
Sweet protection helmets are nice looking, established brand and well protecting their users.

For example Strutter is baseball-cap like helmet with small volume (bucket effect) with carbon fiber shell.
https://sweetprotection.com/sp_eu/catal ... egory/157/
- web page lists only current models but from shops you can probably find older colorization themes if those suit better.

Unfortunately I can not fully recommend buying blind, for example sweet helmets (strutter and rocker) does not suit for my head, too narrow from side. But all my friends have Sweets for white water kayaking and kiting. One uses Rocker also for winder sports (kiting and alpine).
jyka wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:35 pm
I'm looking for a full face helmet to hydrofoiling.
An ice hockey helmet with a steel cage would protect face well, but is it interfering visibility too much? A plastic visor wouldn't protect face area so well..
^ Did you end up trying a full-face?

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:31 am

^didn't find a good full face helmet (lightweight and cheap:), so I bought a cheap motorcycle helmet with visor. Like this one: https://static4.motonet.fi/img/3/382275/300/382275.jpg
But the visor gets fogged..

Return to “Hydrofoil”