A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Small vs large foil board

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:43 pm

flaps1111 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:39 pm
Volume is not only good for early planning if you are using a foilkite volume is a must if your kite goes to the drink to use it as a floating device. It drifts better as well on the water when you lost the board. Saying that I prefer a no volume board when is not too Light, I have both 130cm carbon board and a carbon raceboard 145x55.

People talk rubbish when they say they can ride with a non-special kite for lightwind. 8 knots is not light wind, 3-4-5-6 is light wind in hydrofoiling.

So true.

For me, when the wind picks up from 5 knots (lowest limit I can ride), and gradually up to 11-12 knots, I choose a smaller and smaller board, and reverse, bigger and bigger board when at the lower end.
The same goes to some extent for board size and wing size IMO, using really small wings, makes better sense in more wind AND with smaller boards - whereas the big and huge wings, works great with big boards.

It makes perfect sense in so many ways, one of them being the ability to self rescue from further out - but also many other advantages, it simply "feels right" when the board and wing size matches the wind and the kitesize, when at the low end.
Difficult to say precisely why - but those having the option to choose will know exactly what I mean :rollgrin:

Some, like flaps1111 knows, and others do to, and then some cant see the advantages of a bigger board, but want to go as small as they can in boardsize, and then rig a bigger kite instead (if possible).

Different ways indeed - but I must say that matching the sizes kite/board/wing somewhat together really works great, like in all similar sports, when approaching the lower end.

Harmonic proportions :thumb:

8) PF

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:11 pm

Seems logic this concept?
Less wind,
bigger kite
longer lines
bigger F wing
bigger board
More skill!
R H

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby bigtone667 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:51 am

revhed wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:11 pm
Seems logic this concept?
Less wind,