Local Beach: Navarre Fl.
Style: Old style, waves, endless downwinders
Gear: Slingshot, Flysurfer, LF foil fish, Airush, Moses fluente
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Progression of a roll tack , need help

Postby GCKiter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:53 pm

I'm at the stage of constant falls on a roll tack. I've heard it before on the forum it may take two-three hundred attempts to nail this maneuver. Is there one aha moment where suddenly the light comes on, it's frustrating to say the least.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Progression of a roll tack , need help

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:05 pm

GCKiter wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:53 pm
I'm at the stage of constant falls on a roll tack. I've heard it before on the forum it may take two-three hundred attempts to nail this maneuver. Is there one aha moment where suddenly the light comes on, it's frustrating to say the least.

Maybe you need two-three thousands attempts ?

I am not joking unfortunately - some can learn quite easy, others can try forever without getting it, and then some just takes a huge amount of time, and need constant "re-training" too.

You can practice rolltacks (ducktacks) on your waveboard, where you go upwind 2/3 or more of the session anyways, so practice ducktacks when going upwind instead of jibing - almost same move, except that you lack the sideways roll balance which is more difficult on a hydrofoil.

In my experience it is a constant progression and not just one single "aha" moment - the first times you get it you will be totally in nirvana yes, but it wont stick till a lot more practice and can even get worse.

Good thing is, WHEN you can make it just reasonably, you get so much more practice as you dont end in the water nomore and can make a lot more tacks, so now it goes fast :thumb:

Exactly the same with jibes :naughty:

Really frustrating indeed - good it isnt easy as this is somehow a part of why it is rewarding, but frustrating to see so many things some can do easily, but you cant :( :D

8) PF

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:32 pm

It's about timing. You'll get the timing mostly right once and then realize that you nailed some portion of the maneuver. Then once you figure out how to time it going in, you can focus timing everything in the middle. Eventually that will work pretty well and you'll only fall on the exit, then you work on that.

Although to answer your question most directly, if there was a way to predict "Aha!" moments, they wouldn't be, "Aha!" moments...

GCKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Navarre Fl.
Style: Old style, waves, endless downwinders
Gear: Slingshot, Flysurfer, LF foil fish, Airush, Moses fluente
Been thanked: 0

Postby GCKiter » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:57 am

thanks for the input,290 attempts to go. The thrill of nailing one keeps you trying. What a sport!

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:05 am

GCKiter wrote:
Dude, I am in the same exact boat as you. Yell at me if you ever have a break thru, lol. I tried them above water without any thought towards technique for about 300 attempts while I was jumping like crazy and having a good time free riding the foil over the past 3 months. I am now dead set on learning this move. I don't ride toe side or want to learn jibes b/c of the speed needed(I'm on a race foil) and I have fallen on my board doing this enough to remember the pain. Tacks are tougher to learn, but in my opinion less painful.

I had my first break thru today doing them with the board on the water. I was so lit up tonight I had to force the board down to chill out and tried a tack and holy shit I almost nailed it. Then I tried a few more and I couldn't believe how much easier they are with the board in the water. I'm now going to try to nail them with the board down now, and then incorporate a little above water carve before I try to do all the failed attempts above water again.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:06 am

GCKiter wrote:
Get someone to coach you. I find that it is really helpful when someone points out exactly where your week points are. I have coached a lot of people who have watched my Foiling Basics Tack video, but did not see that they were not executing key point properly. Especially kite position and timing are key elements of the manoeuvre, but are really hard to judge if you are doing it right by yourself.

--
Gunnar

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:28 am

Chuck a vid up and we can see.

I find most people have their weight too far back and don't carry enough speed into the tack.

Speed into the tack and getting that glide upwind while pushing your hips forward as you go past dead upwind normally leads to success, that and hundreds of attempts.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:42 pm

My breakthrough was realizing I was turning the board too early. I needed the kite to be much further ahead of me through the turn than I thought.

Having a big foil kite makes everything much easier too because it floats you through the turn. Being powered in general makes the tack easier.

Good Luck!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:11 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:42 pm
My breakthrough was realizing I was turning the board too early. I needed the kite to be much further ahead of me through the turn than I thought.

Having a big foil kite makes everything much easier too because it floats you through the turn. Being powered in general makes the tack easier.

Good Luck!

Agree, this is the major first mistake I think everyone makes :o

Meaning you will continue in the same direction away from your board (same thing whether on waveboard or hydrofoil).
So the kite has to be pulled a lot further in the new direction than one thinks :wink:

When realizing this, the opposite can sometimes happen, that you pull the kite over too fast, so you get pulled too while the board continues straight ahead instead :D

Two very common timing mistakes I have made earlier (and still might do), and often see others do.

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”