Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Leash...enemy of the foiler?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Leash...enemy of the foiler?

Postby grigorib » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:15 pm

BWD wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:19 pm
freeride foiling?
go BRM style, no leash/integral leash, no stopper, no trim cleat, no dangling lines at all, no problem!
You can use a tiny kite foiling, so don't complain about needing a trim cleat etc.
Really not needed for freeride.
While I admire simplicity I still think it's easier to put a car into another gear than replacing tires to smaller/bigger

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:01 pm

BWD wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:19 pm
freeride foiling?
go BRM style, no leash/integral leash, no stopper, no trim cleat, no dangling lines at all, no problem!
You can use a tiny kite foiling, so don't complain about needing a trim cleat etc.
Really not needed for freeride.
If you use one bar on different kites and/or on different conditions, you will always need a trim cleat (or a strap). It's not about tapping into more depower, but about perfectly positioning the sweet spot. Not having a way of trimming means that you'll have to compensate any difference with your body position, outstretched arms and all. A little bit of trim goes a long way in putting you into a comfortable position, where you and your gear perform better, and with style, that's what freeride is about.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:02 am

Hhmmm.
After a year on a diy BRM bar and 4 years of clouds that's news to me.
And I would have to say I'm mainly free-riding, because I don't get waves/wind to be in the surf nearly as much as I'd like.
You can adjust between kites easily by changing the distance between harness and the release balls.
With clouds I run the 17m as short/close to me as possible, and 7-12m about 3-4" farther.
After >10 years kiting there aren't a lot of times I really wish I was on too big a kite with a mile of trim dangling. Flying the right size kite is better. If you want to boost a lot, it's a bigger size etc. but I tend to favor unsent jumps, fast impulsive turns, surf, foiling, that kind of thing. So smaller/sweet spot feels better. Even more so foiling.

I used to think often about rigging a way to change the center length between harness and release of my BRM style bar on the fly, and toyed with on-the-fly back line trim adjusters, but just haven't needed it. still have some slingshot bars with lots of trim in case needed. They weigh a pound or two more and I haven't needed 'em lately...

There are plenty of good options and styles... if I end up flying an edge maybe I'll want the race bar!

wingnut
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Squampton, Acadia, Jericho, Spanish Banks, Ambleside Septic farm.
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, La Ventana (Baja Sur), Uppers, Nitinat.
Style: wave freestyle strapless
Gear: North Rebels 7,9,12, Naish, Dakine, Taaroa, Airush Ultra 6,9,12,15
Brand Affiliation: Soulfoodgodwax
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby wingnut » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:35 am

..not to take this thread even further sideways...
BWD wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:02 am
... if I end up flying an edge maybe I'll want the race bar!
And there essentially is the difference. If you use a higher performance kite, by that I mean higher aspect and flying further upwind, and therefore likely creating way more apparent wind than a Cloud, then a more liberal amount of trim is required. So really it is more a matter of style than anything.
btw, I look way more stylish with the bar at chest level. lol.
and I built my own BRM bar w/no leash
:cool2:

Return to “Hydrofoil”