A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

When it's windy....

Postby jakemoore » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:20 am

Do you still hydrofoil? Is this just a light wind fancy? How much wind does it take to want the twin tip? How nice do the waves have to be to ride a surf board?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: When it's windy....

Postby plummet » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:26 am

For me its more about water condition than wind speed when its windy. So +18 knots are there perfect peeling waves + head high? is there some butter flat to ramp to boost off? If so I'm on the mutant boosting and wave riding. Is the water conditions so freaken rough foiling is too dangerous? usually onshore or northerly 3m + swell.

If there is sub head high and or choppy crud then its foiling time. I haven't found the top end of my 4m yet. Had it our in gusts up to 40 knots.

So basically i'm cherry picking the best conditions for wave or boost then foiling the rest.
I love high wind and small kites so light wind am not deterred by high wind foiling. My most fun sessions on the foil have been 25 + knots

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:33 am

jakemoore wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:20 am
Do you still hydrofoil? Is this just a light wind fancy? How much wind does it take to want the twin tip? How nice do the waves have to be to ride a surf board?

The TT ? Never :wink:

When windy - often hydrofoiling having a 3.5 and 5 m2 :naughty:

The waves has to be awesome, or good - at least really sideshore and sunny otherwise I dont go out on the waveboard nomore :roll:

Often when good waves, starting with waveboard but ending on the foil as it is SO appealing and you just wanna do both :thumb:

Only if maxed out depowered on small kites on waveboards I dont foil - but actually I should not have gone surfing either as it is bunk when overpowered and wind ruins/messes the surface - only advantage is it can get BIG :rollgrin:

8) PF

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:26 pm

We are all in around here....All conditions all winds...from barely keep a kite in the air, to 35-40 knots. Flat water to all wave conditions.....so much to learn!

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:06 pm

Also at our lakes, we are just foiling even in the rare cases of > 30 knts. Just get used with foils, with foils in higher wind waves and use smaller kites. :D

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:35 pm

As a newbie I only foil in lite winds. Once the wind picks up enough to jump on my 12 mtr I'm on my twintip.Seems like foiling for me at this point is similar to when I started kiting,a lite wind alternative to windsurfing.I'm sure it will evolve as I gain experience.although in my mind I would at this point deny it!

nismo98
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mitchells Bay
Style: boost, wake, surf
Gear: CWB PRIZM Boots on a LF BOB 137 wakeboard.
LF Index Boots on a Nobile 666 142 kiteboard
5m LF envy
8m Best TS
10.5 Best Kahoona
12m OR Razor
14m OR Prodigy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby nismo98 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:12 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:35 pm
As a newbie I only foil in lite winds. Once the wind picks up enough to jump on my 12 mtr I'm on my twintip.Seems like foiling for me at this point is similar to when I started kiting,a lite wind alternative to windsurfing.I'm sure it will evolve as I gain experience.although in my mind I would at this point deny it!
I have 3 foil sessions under my belt. I can ride 100ft on the foil at a time, up or downwind, and make 1/5 of two step transitions. I don't think I will ever twin tip unless it's over 20 Knotts at my wavespot for boosting and overhead waves. I actually skipped a 25 Knott day for the 15knott day after because I'd rather foil.

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Has thanked: 0

Postby Flag53 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:17 pm

I'm with cwood and Horst on this one and am foiling what ever the wind and water conditions.
I've only used my twin tip and surfboard once each this year , I'm just really enjoying the challenge of foiling in ALL conditions 👍

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 pm

Flag53 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:17 pm
I'm with cwood and Horst on this one and am foiling what ever the wind and water conditions.
I've only used my twin tip and surfboard once each this year , I'm just really enjoying the challenge of foiling in ALL conditions 👍

I cant do that...

When its blowing to 4½ or 5 m2 on a waveboard (pretty normal wave conditions when good), I am overpowered even on my 3.5 m2 kite when on a hydrofoil - possible yes but not the sweetspot and I ride waves instead on a waveboard in this wind.

But as many like to ride extremely powered (some in here say they ride the same size as on their TTs - I ride at least two sizes smaller) I can see the urge for hydrofoiling in this wind, its just not me as I like to play around in the waves or chop in a very different way, maybe too old ha haa :rollgrin:

8) PF

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:09 pm

Foiling in big seas and high winds reminds me a lot of snowboarding the moguls. It's not really the best way to use the gear in terms of demonstrating outright performance, but the inherent challenge is alluring and keeps me coming back. Knowing that the twintip or a surfboard would be easier, for me, takes the fun out of them. Everything worth doing is hard.

Return to “Hydrofoil”