Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flag out line not long enough

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Flag out line not long enough

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:53 am

I was going to post this in the main forum, but thought it may be better here in case I was wrong and didn't want to confuse newer kiters.

I flew my first foil kite yesterday, chrono 15m with ozone bar. I had to undue the CL on the fly while my buddy was flying it and attached it to my setup and noticed a problem in my opinion.

Without getting into crazy particulars I built my own line set to have a massive throw and 16 inch depower(it's too much but wanted it at the time). Regardless, I had to make my own flag out line coming from the swivel thru the CL b/c the length was so much larger. I allowed for 4 inches of slack thru the CL. 2 months went by and my flag out line was smack dab against my CL fully powered. So I made a new one...2 months later same thing. At this moment I believed in shrinkage, b/c my center lines did not lengthen.

Anyway, I'm waving this guys brand new ozone bar and kite around in the air and the leash swivel is snug up against the CL. So I just had a look at one of Gunnar's vids and saw when he boosted you can see the same thing. IMHO this causes the center line attached to the flag out line to shorten. Not a major issue, but one could see it as a major issue, b/c then that line is suffering massive amounts of load instead of the the depower dyneema rope 3.5mm taking all of it which normally does and it is rated at 3000 pounds vs a smaller line taking 600 pounds.

Thoughts?

Here's one pic from a jump fully powered after I fixed my flag out line you can see there is slack:

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Flag out line not long enough

Postby jakemoore » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:24 am

There is an elastic bungee in the safety taking slack.

It could be too short if you lengthen the center depower with a home cooked bar but it would be plain to see when the kite is in flight.

I doubt this is causing uneven shrink between front lines. More likely from looping kite only one direction or manufacturer tolerances.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:51 am

jakemoore wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:24 am
That is set up for when you release.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:38 am

lovethepirk wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:51 am
jakemoore wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:24 am
That is set up for when you release.
No it's not -- is there so the safety didn't flap around when you're riding.

There should be enough slack in it that when the kite is maximally powered, there's still some slack in the safety, otherwise you get the issue you noted in you OP. The bungy stops the slop when there's little load...

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:52 pm

Yeah, there's a bungee inside the dyneema flag out line so that the swivel is tight against the chicken loop no matter what position the depower trim line is in.

You can buy an ozone race leash line (with bungee inside) as a spare part, they're pretty long

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:03 pm

For some reason I thought that bungee would still dangle out of the CL, I'm an idiot. Figured something was wrong with my logic.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 pm

lovethepirk wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:03 pm
For some reason I thought that bungee would still dangle out of the CL, I'm an idiot. Figured something was wrong with my logic.
Yeah, it's designed not to dangle. I've run into issues where I was trying to tune my front/rear lines and the rears had shrunken so much that in order to get them even it put all the stress on the flag out line instead of the depower rope. There's just an inherent limitation there, you either lengthen the flag out line or live with the fact that your control geometry will be limited by that length. It's the reason why a lot of racers don't ride with flag out safety systems, they want to have full control over line length and the ability to tune their bar without worrying about the flag out line taking up the slack that the depower rope should be holding. If you're tuning your bar and you cannot get your line ends even without putting the load on the flag out line, it's time to put pigtails or extensions on your rear lines.

Mitaka
Frequent Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud D0, F-One MITU, KETOS foil

Postby Mitaka » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:46 pm

On the first picture it is clearly visible that the flag out line is wrapped around the depower rope and this is the reason why your slack is missing. :)
Be aware that the flag out system may not function properly in such a case.

Return to “Hydrofoil”