Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite choices for foiling in high winds ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
wingnut
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Squampton, Acadia, Jericho, Spanish Banks, Ambleside Septic farm.
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, La Ventana (Baja Sur), Uppers, Nitinat.
Style: wave freestyle strapless
Gear: North Rebels 7,9,12, Naish, Dakine, Taaroa, Airush Ultra 6,9,12,15
Brand Affiliation: Soulfoodgodwax
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite choices for foiling in high winds ?

Postby wingnut » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:48 am

There is a fair amount of discussion about finding the right kite for foiling in light air but I am wondering what works best in higher winds. Winds where you would normally be using a 6 or 7m kite which for me would usually be 25 knots or better. Some say you should use a kite with multiple struts as that more rigid frame eliminates flapping etc. However most multi-strut kites are designed along different performance lines ie. boosting, looping etc. I would think that you would still want the same characteristics as you want in a lighter air, larger size, kite such as depower and stable drifting. It is assumed that we are tired of dragging out the surfboard or the dreaded twintip every time its nukin' so don't bother posting that #$%@^ . This the Hydrofoiling forum isn't it.
So that being said, what is everyones experience and choice of kite for those nuclear days?

Mitaka
Frequent Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud D0, F-One MITU, KETOS foil

Re: Kite choices for foiling in high winds ?

Postby Mitaka » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:18 am

Smallest wave or foil dedicated kites work like charm in such conditions. To name a few of them:
Cabrinha Drifter 4m, 4.5m (3 struts)
RRD Emotion MK3 3m (1 strut)
BRM Cloud D 2.8m, C.5 3.5m, D 3.7m (strutless)
Cabrinha Radar 3.5m (3 struts) also works fine...

mikesids
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki lagoon, Cook Islands
Style: Foil, surf, speed, jumping, freestyle
Gear: F One Furtives / FS Souls for speed, Airush Ultra's for freeride foiling , Chrono UL for freerace foiling, Parks, Bandit and Union for all round, JShapes / Levitaz / Spitfire XLW foil, F One AC21 Speed boards, Groove Skate
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mikesids » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:30 am

Really enjoying my 5m Reo - fast but you get used to it , and if you run a shorter bar it will slow down the reactivity. Light in the steering, very good drift ,great depower and overall gust stability - I am pretty convinced that wave kites are the way to go for higher winds as a result. I have used from 20 knots up to 25 knots so far , not had to pull on any depower thus far so no idea what the ultimate top end is on a foil , probably north of 30 knots. Also a really painless looper. Gets you up on the foil then you can just mosey along, I am aiming at using with a large surf foil to play in the waves without going so fast that I outrun the wave. Going slow is the new high performance !! ;-)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 am

I'm using a 4m uno. Ozone trainer kite. It works a treat for foiling. It's one strut and several hundred cheaper that the same sized reo. I can use it from 20 knots. But it's nicest 25-35 knots. I've flown in on the foil +40 knots. I was too powered for to ride waves down the line in 40 knots but I could easily ride around. Around the 40 knot mark the if you load up the canopy water starting it can collapse a little.

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:30 pm

These conditions are right in the sweet spot for foiling on the 3.7m Boardriding Maui Cloud.
IMG_1916.PNG

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Has thanked: 0

Postby Flag53 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:59 pm

I'm loving my V4 Reo's.

I was hydrofoiling with a 7m and the wind picked up to high 30's mph , yes it wasn't the right kite for those winds but there wasn't any dramas either .
I've now bought a 5M Reo and have used it for foiling in 35-40 mph winds on a flattish ( tight chop ) spot and it was perfect .

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 pm

mikesids wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:30 am
Really enjoying my 5m Reo - fast but you get used to it , and if you run a shorter bar it will slow down the reactivity. Light in the steering, very good drift ,great depower and overall gust stability - I am pretty convinced that wave kites are the way to go for higher winds as a result. I have used from 20 knots up to 25 knots so far , not had to pull on any depower thus far so no idea what the ultimate top end is on a foil , probably north of 30 knots. Also a really painless looper. Gets you up on the foil then you can just mosey along, I am aiming at using with a large surf foil to play in the waves without going so fast that I outrun the wave. Going slow is the new high performance !! ;-)

Indeed yes, as others have said - using the small wave kites works like a charm, and you have the choice to use these on a waveboard when the wind gets too much for the foil so a win win.

But a 5 m2 will get too much quite soon for my 78 kg, unless one wants to ride powered (like racers), so above 20 knots it goes fast the wrong way away from the sweetspot (in waves at least)....

20 knots average wind is around the perfectly powered sweetspot for me, and at 25 it is way too much and my 3.5 m2 starts to take over.

Compared to wavesize kites (which is a better correlation than windspeed):

The 5 is in its sweetspot on a hydrofoil when I am riding a 7 to 8 m2 on my waveboard.
And the 3.5 works on a hydrofoil when I ride a 5 m2 on a waveboard.

Kites are different indeed though - the Reo is one of those with extremely little power yes (and awesome range/upper end), and the opposite type, the 3.7 m2 Cloud has the power of a typical 4.5 to 5 m2 it seems :wink:

8) PF

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 pm

I have used my little 3.5m Cloud in 35 knots on a zeeko carver, and the same little kite in 50 knots on a twin tip.

It was like having an angry little wasp!

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:08 am

Anyone try the Liquid Force Solo 6.5m for foiling? New 2016 Solo v2 going for cheap right now.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:22 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 pm
I have used my little 3.5m Cloud in 35 knots on a zeeko carver, and the same little kite in 50 knots on a twin tip.

It was like having an angry little wasp!

Return to “Hydrofoil”