Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Nigel no mates

Postby plummet » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:40 pm

Had a session yesterday. 13-20 knots swell was minimal. Before I started on of the SB riders came in an informed me that, that was boring. There was some small ramps for the freestylers to hit but they werent winning any prizes in height either.
I proceeded to have a awesome powered session on the foil. I couldn't help smirking to myself when the sb guy informed me of his boring session. I knew my session was going to be full on!

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Foiling in our area is increasing in popularity. 10-15 knots and we can up to 5 foils out, over that most are back on surfboards or twintips. Below 10 knots and I'm often Nigel out there by myself on a 12 mtr foil, the normal comment I get is "na, I'll only kite in stronger stuff". But you you can almost hear the gears clicking in their heads as they sit on the beach waiting, don't think I'll be Nigel for long.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:23 am

Let’s go existential. What brought you to kiteboarding? For me it was to have a sailboat I could fit in the trunk of my car, and the fun of flying a controllable kite. I was never interested in boosting, “tricks” and the skater culture, but rather a dynamic personal experience of wind-powered movement and peaceful flow. I bought a hydrofoil as soon as I could confidently ride upwind on my TT and sold the TT soon after. It’s been a long hard learning curve and I can’t even do real transitions yet, but I never consider going back. Riding any other board feels violent and jarring now.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:50 am

Jyoder wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:23 am
Let’s go existential. What brought you to kiteboarding? For me it was to have a sailboat I could fit in the trunk of my car, and the fun of flying a controllable kite. I was never interested in boosting, “tricks” and the skater culture, but rather a dynamic personal experience of wind-powered movement and peaceful flow. I bought a hydrofoil as soon as I could confidently ride upwind on my TT and sold the TT soon after. It’s been a long hard learning curve and I can’t even do real transitions yet, but I never consider going back. Riding any other board feels violent and jarring now.
Unfortunately, if is THAT hard and not appealing for the average Joe, the HF numbers will never grow. It is the TT which enabled you to HF, not the vice versa. Same with LEI kites, they are enabling kite surfing, not the foil kites (except in some occasions, we now that anyway).

The only way to get the HF numbers up ( not being a lonely Nigel! ), is the get the kiting numbers up, either TT or a SB converts (as we all are). If the TT/SB is in decline, so will HF (no ppl to convert).

Simple as that. So I would never ever say get rid of TT/SB simple because that is what attracts new kiters. Remember, aa HF was in water skiing many many years ago. The skis died out, the wakestyle boards prevailed.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:12 am

Jyoder wrote:
A good question and one worthy of a thread in its self.

I came to kitesurfing and then foiling from land kiting and prior to that mountain biking. I'm not a sailor or a waterman. I'm a terrain rider. Thats what i love. I dont care if its riding a mountain on a mountain bike, blasting a sand dune on a buggy, smashing waves on the mutant or foiling at speed in the swell. For me its about an interaction with the terrian. The more challenging the terrain and conditions the better. Thus i like storm kiting and big waves and anything that challenges my skills in riding that terrain. I too have never been a trickster in any of the sports i do. It doesnt entertain me at all. Thus my selection of toys. All designed around getting the max out of aggressive terrain.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:32 am

Paragliding. No high mountains in WA, or almost any mountains worth my time like in the EU...Paragliding experience did not help at all though.

eddiemorgs
Rare Poster
Gear: North

Postby eddiemorgs » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:34 am

After reading all this ... its pretty obvious its what floats your boat will make you choose whichever discipline .

Some want to do tricks on tt , ride sbs , tricks on sbs , etc , etc , etc

Me , when I was windsurfing 25 years and then into kiting 9 years it has never been about doing tricks . I just have never understood it ... and thats not to judge it , I am just not interested . Don’t like TTs , hate ‘em in fact . Couldn’t wait to ride a sb when I was learning .

For me , these water sports have been my outlet from a busy life of business and family . I love the thrill of big surf and nuclear conditions but also just enjoying a quiet day , the movement of the water and carving smooth gybes ... what a beautiful sensation.

Me and a mate have called our style “soul kiting “... man , its good for the soul :-)

I moved to a light wind place , in Darwin , so the development of the north nugget and good big kites has changed everything for us . Not to say I don’t have my bored moments if its flat .

So foiling is a natural progression for someone like me . But I still love the connectedness of a sb and waves and always bring that gear with me .

I can see how foiling may look boring .... and during my learning phase , I did go through a period when I thought I was just mowing the lawn sometimes .
But I have progressed a lot more to a different phase ( being able to get some speed , ride some waves , draw some nice lines and carves while foil gybing etc ) and I seriously cannot wipe the smile off my face ... its weird , I come back with tired facial muscles as well :-)

So , its now my new form of soul kiting - kinda tie chi on the water for me and throw in a bit of excitement as well when you choose

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:06 am

Tie Chi - the Chinese art of smart dressing for men...

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:22 pm

downunder wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:50 am
Jyoder wrote:
Unfortunately, if is THAT hard and not appealing for the average Joe, the HF numbers will never grow. It is the TT which enabled you to HF, not the vice versa. Same with LEI kites, they are enabling kite surfing, not the foil kites (except in some occasions, we now that anyway).

The only way to get the HF numbers up ( not being a lonely Nigel! ), is the get the kiting numbers up, either TT or a SB converts (as we all are). If the TT/SB is in decline, so will HF (no ppl to convert).

Simple as that. So I would never ever say get rid of TT/SB simple because that is what attracts new kiters. Remember, aa HF was in water skiing many many years ago. The skis died out, the wakestyle boards prevailed.
The good thing is that learning to HF is not that hard. I’ve seen students in our school fly with control in 5 hours of lessons. The new gear (short masts and low aspect wings) really simplifies the learning curve.

Its become mainstream - look at the guys on the WSL tour who Foil now.

3 years ago I was the only foiler at my spot, now tons of crew are learning.

Return to “Hydrofoil”